This post is not finished, it has not been checked or edited
Westminster Bank 1902 by Frederick Wheeler, with nice Art
Nouveau carving around the windows.
Lodge. Georgian farmhouse of the chalk
land. Near old toll bar
House, by Robert J. Wood & Partners 1961-6, eleven storeys with bands of
Stowford mid c 19,
139, a pretty c 18 house
of three bays, with circular window over
the door and lower wings
Sutton Station . 1847 opened. Between West Sutton and Carshalton on Thames Link. Between
Carshalton and also Carshalton Beeches and Belmont and also Cheam and also West
Sutton on Southern Trains. In
1868 Line built from Peckham Rye and in 1865 the Line
from Epsom Downs. In the 1860s it was still a two platform wayside station but
because of expected race traffic a new waiting room and booking offices were
built. The current station was built in 1924 when the line from Wimbledon put in
rebuilt and this included new road level buildings and staircases. In 1930 a
line from Wimbledon via South Merton opened on and electric Southern Railway
line from Holborn
Sutton Court Road
Robert J. Wood & Partners,
1961-6, still in the Miesian tradition with its
seventeen storeys of curtain walling. The structure is of reinforced concrete, cantilevered out on two sides, so
that, as one approaches, the
building seems to float above a void -
in fact a sunken car park.
Spandrel panels are in a neutral pale green; the top floor is finished off neatly by a broad black band.
of four storeys, with the
same details, but on stilts. Linked to Vigilant House by an ingenious T-shaped
entrance bridge over the car park.
the same firm, 1975. Faced with unbonded
only four storeys high, by Trehearne, Norman, Preston & Partners, 1979,
white tiles and bronze windows.
linked slab blocks faced in granite, by Brewer, Smithy Brewer, 1979-80.
Fiske Court. . The new scale is used even for old people's flats with some
originality. By Rock Townsen 1978. Two four-storey blocks linked by a
greenhouse-type projecting gallery at third-floor level. The lift to the
gallery in a separate tower. Four
staircases painted in bright primary
Whether this high-technology approach appeals the
residents is another matter.
Built 1888 by Newman &
Jacques. Red brick,. No tower. Lancet windows. The end has a separate porch
with doorways in three directions and the baptistery between two low bays is 1910-12
by D. Round. Inside there is a spectacular rood screen with the rood supported
on an openwork crown.