Chobham

    This post is not finished and has not been checked or edited


Chobham

Part of the estate of the Abbey of Chertsey.  Within the bounds of the Royal Forest of Windsor.  In the 13th released forest land allowed small holders to develop plots – just about profitable enough to support a small family.

High Street

Chobham Church, Wooden font lined with lead - Lead covered spire.  Rebuilt.  Norman pillars.  Tomb of Nicholas Heath Archbishop of York, Mary's Chancellor.  Not improved by successive restorations.  Lead covered spire 1400.  Timber porch from Chertsey Abbey.  War memorial screen.  Flint, lead lined.  Bishop of Worcester Nicholas heath grave


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone