London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been edited or checked
Post to the north Forest Hill Station
Mayow family name
Originally a carriage drives leading to Sydenham Hall. It
is an attractive road, with grass verges, white railings and posts.
Sydenham Hall which was a house rebuilt c1805 for the Lawrie family. Replaced
36 looks like a
small Regency stuccoed house, but was originally the lodge for the house c1862; it then became a separate house,
with extensions from the late 19th century
Home of Thomas Tilling and his daughter Mabel Constanduras
Valley of the stream from
Wells Park continues here.
Was Sydenham Hill Road
New houses on site of Otto House, Heath Hedge
Service Road on the site of Woodthorpe
Italianate pairs of the early 1850s.
174 was briefly
the home of conductor August Manns,
182 is in Gothic
style with Tudor door cases, of the early 1850s.
315 Greyhound. Now
called Fewterer & Firkin. This is the oldest surviving inn of Sydenham,
dating back to before 1726, but the present building, with its dramatic three
gables, is a rebuild c1870. Note the small rounded oriels on either side of the
front entrance. At the back is an
appealing bar in a conservatory with Victorian tiled floor and tiled wall
designs; this was the entrance to the Greyhound Hotel. The Greyhound predates the canal, and was
at the south east corner of Sydenham Common. Although not mentioned in connection with the
canal, itmust surely have had
some very useful trade from it. The Canal Co. owned some land alongside it
Horse trough – has moved
around a bit
325 Railway pub
Lawrie Park Estate
Enclosed before 1800 by John Lawrie.Then built up with posh villas by George
Lawrie Park Road
Marking the eastern boundary of the
Lawrie Park Estate
2 At the
junction with Westwood Hill. A large and rambling stucco Italianate villa c1861
but much altered, with a central tower over a Tuscan porch. The ground floor is rusticated, with square-headed
windows; the windows on the upper floors are round-headed.
7 home of W.G.Grace when he led the London
Cricket Club. Demolished.
Flats.A short way down, on the east side, between
Cricketers Walk and Bays Close, is modern block with a Lewisham Council plaque:
'W. G. Grace 1848-1915 cricket lived
in a house on this site'. Grace lived here from 1899 before moving to
Mottingham in 1909.
Houses.Between Bays Close and Copeman Close is a
sequence of large stately houses of the late 1880s with strong gables.
74/76 are a
large Italianate stuccoed pair of 1857, but altered and with later extensions.
79 Lichfield House, an attractive stuccoed villa of the late 1850s with a Corinthian
51/59 St Christopher's Hospice, a large complex. It was a pioneering venture when founded by Dame
Cicely Saunders in 1967, and is now
regarded as the world leader of the modem hospice movement. The main block is
of 1967, weather boarded and glazed, attractive with staggered bay and a
curving top storey. To the south is Albertine Centre, consisting of a house the
late 1920s connected to the main building by a linking block of 1991. Further
south is a separate modern building of 1972, the Education Centre.
Mayow Park. Ground in front of it was where shops in Sydenham Road are. From 1660.
18 acres bought from Adams by Lewisham Board of Works in 1877 and built as
Sydenham Recreation Ground. Managed by Lewisham District Board of Works. Gift
from a Mayow daughter. Mayow owned the land between Sydenham and Forest Hill
bought up by the canal co. A
pleasant but rather featureless park, with some fine trees. It was opened in
1878. Is affectionately called The Rec'; it was
formerly Sydenham Recreation Ground but is now known as Mayow Park. Just inside
the park, where the paths converge, is a fine evergreen tree, the Holm oak or
Evergreen oak. It differs from the usual oak in that it is evergreen and the
leaves are not the familiar lobed leaves of the common English oak tree. This
full-grown tree is probably one of the finest examples of its kind in the
Borough. Aviary. Pleasant park of 18 acres which was acquired in 1877 from
Mayow Wynell Adams by the Lewisham Board of Works at -a cost of £8,000, of
which £3,250 was collected by local subscriptions The fine granite fountain
inscribed "Erected by subscription in recognition of the services of the
Rev. W. Taylor-Jones M.A. in acquiring this ground for the public 1st June
1878" commemorates the hard work put in by the Vicar of St.Bartholomew's
Church, to raise the funds for the purchase of the park.
Named after Mayow Wynell Adams family .The
Mayow estate held almost all the land on the east bank of the canal between
Forest Hill and Sydenham, and M W Mayow had sold some to the canal for £317.
Valley of the stream from Wells Park
visible in the road
Slatter’s bakery site of coach house of old house. Old house was
the Mayow Adams home;
School for Boys, which accommodates 1,300 pupils well-chosen and spacious site
24 site of
St.Magnus built for
Baron de Koope. Before the First World War. King Edward
VII used to visit him. It later became a private school for about 130 boys. The
old fee structure is interesting - for boys under 12 years old, residing in the
administrative counties of London and Kent - 12 guineas a year for school life;
12 years and over, 15 guineas; for other pupils, the out-county fee was £39
p.a. The school had to close in 1932 for economic reasons. During the Second
World War it became a Rescue Service Station
Old House. Mayow Road to Silverdale contained the 'Old House' and its grounds,
the residence of the Mayow-Adams family, great benefactors to the Sydenham
Was called Pigg Hill. North
was Westwood Common. Home of Ernest von Glehn Wolfson; Thomas Campbell. On the south side a long and handsome terrace of Edwardian houses
1905 in a staggered pattern following the curve in the road. The houses have
crowstepped gables with scrolls
and interesting terracotta carvings around the doorways.
Peak Hill Avenue
On both sides are large Italianate
pairs of the late 1860s.
Part of Thorpe Estate. Some houses have pargetting in the gables.
Valley of the stream from Wells Park
visible in the road
Base of a water-hydrant, a relic of the times when water carts were used to spray the dust
on the road during the summer months
Low key brick terrace of
the 1970s. Silverdale has undergone considerable
re-development; it was once a dale with fine houses ornately decorated with
stone carvings over the front doors and bay windows, their wooded gardens
dominated by silver birch trees along the wide road. Many professional people
resided here including solicitors and dental surgeons; there was also a
Pitman's Shorthand and Typing College. An incline in the road reaches its
summit near Bishopsthorpe Road. The 'thorpes' as they are familiarly known, as
typical upper-middle-class houses, designed originally for teachers, doctors,
retired clergymen, architects, solicitors, and other professional people. They
were named the 'thorpes' by the Victorians, to get away from the familiar
'road' or 'street', and a bit of one-upmanship on Kirkdale and Silverdale. The
'thorpes' were laid out and named after the many dignitaries visiting the
Crystal Palace - the Kings and Queens, Princes and Dukes, Earls and Bishops.
Halfway down on the right was a path-way flanked by tall, graceful Lombardy
poplars, which led to a private tennis club.
West of here a lot of coal dug up - was it Doo's coal wharf. Interestingly, Mr. Mayow wrote that he hired a boat at
Doo's Wharf and rowed it towards Croydon.The exact location of the wharf is
uncertain. One possibility was indicated by the discovery of quantities of coal
in the canal bed, revealed by excavations in the 1970s for new properties west
of Silverdale, where the canal just diverges from the railway.
Canal – culvert took the stream from Wells Park underneath the canal.
Path to the right just before the station goes to it. It cuts through to
the cul-de-sac that serves the station.
Dacres Wood Nature Reserve. A small reserve along a
railway embankment in Lower Sydenham.The railway siding reserve includes a section of the cut of the old
Croydon Canal. Mature woodland with a few exotics such as Turkey oak growing along the
embankment extend the range of habitat which otherwise is mainly grass. With
appropriate management and the addition of the pond this will become more
Westwood. Home of
Harold Glanville MP for Bermondsey. In James Abbot’s business L.C.C. etc.
Site of filled in reservoir for Croydon Canal
Between Penge West and Forest Hill on
Southern Rail. 1839 a guide to it said that the station
was "not yet erected".Indeed, the plan, shows merely 'yard' on the site of the first station,
with a flight of steps down and a small area reserved for the building on the
east side, both south of the bridge.1839 Sydenham Station Sydenham Station
was opened by the London & Croydon Railway, using the bed of the disused
Croydon Canal.1854 The Crystal Palace line was added in
1854 – the old main line branch of Crystal Palace closed after the Penge tunnel
was built.1856 largely rebuilt. 1875 Station Entrance.
A separate 'down' side building to the north of the road bridge was opened in
1875, and this building (now the only entrance to the station) survives in
Sydenham Station Approach.1980s The buildings have been rearranged from
the original layout although two original lines of rails are on the canal
alignment.The Platform layout is very
narrow because it is on the layout of canal bed.The subsequent widening to three and four tracks, and in particular the
divergence of a new Crystal Palace branch immediately south of the east side
building, shifted the east side platform to the north of the bridge. The old
east side building, always on a cramped site, was in due course removed. More
recently, the west platform has also migrated north of the bridge.The original station building was on the south
side of the road bridge, its location now a blank wall between the bridge and a
telephone kiosk. The new 'up' side platform, accessible by a new footbridge
from the 'down' side, was erected about 100 metres north in 1982.1982 The original
building was demolished in 1982, though traces of the old 'up' side platform
can still be seen to the south of
the road bridge. The building we see today, with its small service road was
erected shortly after the c1870 building of the south end of Silverdale.
Station Entrance. A separate 'down' side building to the north of the road bridge was
opened in 1875, and this building (now the only entrance to the station)
survives in Sydenham Station Approach. The original building (largely rebuilt
in 1856) was demolished in 1982, though traces of the old 'up' side platform
can still be seen to the south of
the road bridge. The building we see today, with its small service road was erected
shortly after the c1870 building of the south end of Silverdale.
Brick canal bridge.Old canal
bridge here, which was widened. The canal had done thework
of cutting across the most built up road to intersect its routebetween here and land to the north west. . The brick
canal bridge received attention from various artists,and four versions of the view are known. All are from
the same viewpoint,the east or towpath
bank, south of the bridge and looking north.
32 –34 Priory
Cottage. Queen Anne on
estate of Priory House. Little to remind one of the old
hamlet apart from this pair with old tiled, hipped mansard roofs, rendered
fronts with Gibbs-surround front doors, but weather boarded sides. Weather
boarded timber-framed cottages were once characteristic of the area. With
Woodman’s Cottage an interesting and attractive pair of semi-detached houses,
early 18thperhaps as
early as c1700.The oldest houses in
Sydenham and among the oldest -semi-detached houses in London. Both houses have
half-gables above doors surrounds; weather boarded sides, and mansard roofs
Cottage, Queen Anne, on
estate of Priory House semi-detached white-fronted,
with curved front ends, a high roof, and weather-boarding to be seen at the
side and rear of the building. They were built in Queen Anne's reign on the
estate of the old Priory House.
43/111 known as
Grand Parade when built 1900. Some were replaced after war damage. These stately
and impressive terraces dominate the shopping area.
120 has an altered ground floor,
120/124 next to the old chapel, plain Georgian brick
c18 houses - a well preservedplain house of c.
122/124 was formerly one house.
178 Prince Alfred, a
pleasant pub c1865.
189 Kwick Fit.Small pump at the end of old garages.
Clune House top
of the shops a large house of 1806 it looks in poor condition.
173 Man of Kent pub
Shop with 'Fish Market' and ‘Sydenham’ chipped out to confuse the enemy
in Second World War
The Rink behind
the Sydenham Post Office sorting office. A wide, deep forecourt which led down
to the 'Rink' originally a roller-skating rink but later a large, luxurious
Sydenham and Penge stations
Local line has to cross the main line. In
order to get to Crystal Palace. Ascended on an embankment and crossed the line
on a bridge. Novelty in railway engineering in 1852
This Edwardian enclave between Bishopsthorpe Road and
Earlsthorpe Road was built 1900-14. It has many stylish terraces, groups and
Church. Not finished in
1950s. 1901 only three bays on the nave and aisle were ever built. Consecrated
1903. Only the ugly west end of this church by George
Fellowes Prynne of 1903 can be seen from Trewsbury Road. The east end cannot really be seen at all, as
it is concealed by later buildings.There is an unsatisfactory view of the top of the church from Sydenham
Road. But the "'interior is of outstanding appeal and interest. It is of
brick, very lofty and severe, and is dominated by the great chancel arch, with
its stone screen built right up to the top. Very tall octagonal brick piers
along the high arcades, tall narrow windows in the chancel and aisles, wooden
barrel roof. However, only three bays of the nave were built, and the west end,
even in the interior, is poor. The end now concealed by
later buildings. Only three bays of the nave were built, and a later narthex,
Interior with tall octagonal brick piers and with the typical Prynne stone
screen up to the top of the chancel arch
Church hall, brick, of 1933. The
Episcopal Chapel stood on this site, and the buttresses at the base of the
spire can still be seen at the entrance to the hall.
A11 Saints Hall. Old and derelict.A small Gothic chapel with narrow Gothic
windows. Its date is uncertain, basically and in part it may be c1760 or
possibly slightly earlier; it occupies
the site of a Dissenters' meeting house, which is on John Rocque's map of 1744.
It became an Anglican chapel of ease in 1795, when major rebuilding took place
and it became known as Christ Church. Apart from a brief period as a
non-conformist chapel 1867-73, it remained Christ Church until 1903, when the
present All Saints Church was built and it became All Saints Hall. The last
major rebuild was in 1845, when the north entrance with its steeple was added;
there is now just a truncated tower, the spire having since been removed. There
is a proposal to convert the old chapel for housing. Rock faced, ragstone. Tower was intended
The Croydon canal curved
east away from the railway route, but only a few insignificant ponds on its
line near the south end of Venner Road were left when the area was built over
near the end of the century.
The 1815 illustration on the next page could be taken from just this
position, looking south. Here we meet a 100 recreational view.The artist has done his utmost to obscure the
formality of the towpath on the left, the other bank has been made to go wild,
and the canal had only been open six years. Venner Road swings left, and at its
end turn right and take the Ponds at the south end of Venner road on the line of the canal Canals
5 Raymond Mander & Joe Mitchum theatre collection.
88 lots of Victorian cast iron. An impressive classical villa of the 1880s, rather startling in this
street full of Edwardian style houses. It is rusticated, and has that glorious late Victorian delight intricate cast iron work in the railing along the parapet and slender twisted columns.Its owner had some feelings of grandeur.
Just to the east
A Gothic brick church of 1832 by Lewis Vulliamy. The chancel was added and the
clerestory windows enlarged by Edwin
Nash in 1858. The church is impressive, but it is also severe, with its
castellated tower, nave, aisles and chancel giving it a fortress-like
appearance. The church originally acted as a chapel-of-ease to St Mary’s,
Lewisham, and did not become the parish church of Sydenham until 1856. Edwin
Nash made a series of alterations in stages, which transformed the interior of
the church. In 1858 he added the apsidal chancel, raised the roof and enlarged
the clerestory windows. In 1874 he clad the brick columns in stone, and added
carved heads at the top. In 1883 he removed the west gallery, and widened the
north aisle considerably, since 1986 it has been the church hall, cut off from
the church.The interior is spectacular,
tall, wide and spacious, though the nave seems sombre. The dominant features,
on entering through the south porch, are the east window and the grand chancel
arch. The Chancel is colourful and full of interest, though perhaps at odds
with the nave. The reredos of the Epiphany and the flanking archangel panels,
with their bold relief figures, are extraordinary, by Henry Wilson c1905. The
fine stained glass windows of the chancel, including the east window of Christ
in Glory, are by Francis of the early 1950s. The floor of the chancel is dramatic,
with bright coloured and mosaics, and circular panels in memory of the von
Glehn family 1886. The stained glass windows along the south aisle are also by
Spear. The west window is by Clayton & Bell 1888. Two smaller windows,
above the south porch and opposite in the north aisle, are by Burlison &
Grylls, probably c 1900. Note also the Gothic pulpit, of 1874, with its
intricately carved stonework. The font at the west end is probably c1832, and
is notable for the Greek lettering forming a palindrome around the rim.
front of the church, note the large tomb to Robert and Elizabeth Harrild 1853
and a strange tomb in the shape of a miniature church to Charles English 1867, the first vicar of the parish.
Many tombstones, and a lych-gate of 1906.
David's.1928, next to the church. A large detached Gothic house of 1872,
bearing a blue plaque: 'Sir Ernest Shackleton 1874-1922, Antarctic explorer, lived here'.
pairs with Gothic and Tudor motifs, are older, c1852, and much more distinctive;
the pattern continues round the corner in Jew's Walk. Note the gargoyles on 18, 20 and 14, and the oriel on 28.
14 Sir George
Grove was the first resident of no 14, before he moved to 208 Sydenham Road
7 is a rebuild
of 1888, large, irregular and rambling, gloomy in its dark red brick, with a
tower, gables and tiled frontages. The design of the more modern houses and of
the Holder houses too conspicuously fails to measure up to the grandeur of the
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n