this post is not finished, checked or edited
1950s London County Council housing.
First slab block inspired by Le Corbusier. Brutalist block first use of Alton like forms in Hackney. Large and protracted
LCC/ GLC post-war
enterprise (1947 onwards). , built 1952-4, when the LCC Architect's Department was at its
most adventurous. The engineer was F.J.
Samuely. Eleven storeys.
4-28 1860. 1860-2, mark the shift from classical to tentative Gothic
detail, with coloured brickwork and
Hackney Synagogue 1896. By Delissa Joseph, enlarged 1936.
Red brick with stone bands, triple-arched side entrance with pediment
above. Stately galleried interior lit by
clerestory lunette windows.
House. More appealing 1931-2 by Ian Hamilton.
ranges around a small garden, built
for Bethnal Green and East London Housing Association
Bridge over the
20-54 Hackney Terrace. Curved rooms. A semi-circle of 1860s villas It is the earliest survival in
this area, a symmetrical composition of 1792-1801 of plain three-storey houses
arms of the three developers, which included architect, William Fellowes. The
enterprise was organized as a building society with subscribers, houses had not only private gardens but a communal
pleasure ground behind.
South Hackney Upper School. Grand design of London School Board. 1902 T.Bailey. As
elsewhere in London, the type developed from the 1870s, to the full-blown
formal three-decker compositions of T.J. Bailey of the 1890s
Continues past c 20 flats and
factories on the sites of c19 villas.
1871 random ragstone. By
Newman & Billing, routine Decorated random ragstone. Early English. Tower and spire 1882; Stained glass
window 1950 by H. Vemon Spreadbury.
Hackney Free and
Parochial School. 1811. Rows with other
schools. Lots of fights with other
boys. School moved in 1895 building
became a laundry and then a furniture factory.
1884 Board school. Tall,
with turrets. A large variety of lively
skylines still tower above Hackney's streets of Victorian terraces and their
c20 replacements. As elsewhere in
London, the type developed from the 1870s, with E. R. Robson's picturesque
asymmetrical buildings in the tradition of Philip Webb
1969-76 is by the same firm as Gore Road. low-rise housing on the
site of a demolished church.
Buildings of the 1840s by George
Wales, surveyor to the estate.
St.John of Jerusalem. Landmark for the Luftwaffe –
towards the end of the war the spire was demolished by a rocket which exploded
prematurely in mid-air. The present green copper covered spire was lowered into
place by helicopter. . South Hackney
Parish Church By E. C. Hakewill,
1845-8 replacement of the Well Street chapel of ease of 1806-10.
Tunbridge Wells -
Kentish place names round about. The man
who built the church came from there
Semi-detached housing by Colquhoun Miller - interesting, but forbidding.
Monger Almshouses rebuilt in 1847-8. Tudor doorways, shaped central gable, and an
oriel with lozenge glazing. Before turning right across
Well Street Common, you originally built in 1670, for the use of six poor men
over sixty years old. The widow of Sir John Cass got into trouble in 1732, when
she allowed some women to lodge there. The building was entirely rebuilt in the
middle of the 19th century, although some of the original stonework
was re-used. In Cass Charity.
1-2 villas are of the same date as the almshouses also Tudor, with
Group with echo the villa form semi-detached white-rendered by Suhoun
& Miller, 1981-4, with dramatic deep eaves overhanging off set balconies
and Mackintosh-inspired detail.
road was the large house Priestly lived in 1791. Red brick wall is probably a remnant of it.
warehouse, for James Taylor dated
Lennox House. Experimental post war housing By J.E.M. McGregor, the Professor of Architecture at Cambridge. Ideas that space below the flats should be
used for market to subsidise the rents. 1937. built for the Bethnal Green and East London Housing Association.
school annexe. In the buildings of the
old French hospital. Old Huguenot
foundation. Now a Catholic school. Built for 4-0 men and 20 women replacing
building in Old Street.
Maternity and welfare clinic. Period piece by the Borough Engineer. Percival Holt, Streamlined, brown brick. 1938-9.
Berger School. ILEA.
Homerton, has low clustered
polygonal pavilions with little pyramid roofs.
A tight enclave of stuccoed terraces begun in
the 1850s but mostly dating from the 1860s.
LCC flats completed 1947, are five-storeyed,
with a series of projecting balconies,
1st October 1868. Between Hackney Wick and Hackney Central. North
London Line Silverlink. North London Railway. Although smaller the original station building
would have been like those still at Hackney Central and Camden Road. The
present station was built when passenger services were restored to the North
London Line in the 1980s.. The
original entrance in Barnabas Road was part of a huge single storey building,
taller than the adjoining railway bridge. At track level, it was protected by
canopies which stretched about two-thirds of the platforms' length. By 1898,
the demand for Workmen's Tickets had become very heavy and the Sweetmeat
Automatic Delivery Company were asked to supply dispensing machines at certain
stations and such was the need here that two were installed. it closed with the
rest of the line in 1944. After closure, the structure became dangerous, and
although it survived into the 1950s, it was eventually demolished. Following the re-introduction of passenger
services over the line, a new station opened on 13th May 1985 on the site of
its predecessor, and uses the original passenger subway, but the platforms are
shorter. The rebuilding was approved by the GLC Transport Committee in January
1984, and cost £440 000 to complete, with the necessary finance provided by the
Hackney Partnership Scheme. The lower section of original frontage remains
standing, and there is a worn down stone step, which once led into the booking
Cattle creep Beneath the west end of the platforms runs a
very low arch, which was constructed as a cattle creep and provides a souvenir
of the early days of the line when cows grazed in nearby meadows
infilling. Uniform stucco trimmed around Victoria Park 1845
Was built up
with regular terraces in the 1860s,
Shrubberies. Managed by Hackney District Board
Kenton Arms. Cheerfully flourishing a decorative corner gable with
swags and pretty cornice.
of Mary. 1873. 1952. Only walls stone. Convent of the Sacred Heart. Began as a country house, and still has a five-bay wing of c. 1800; arched
first-floor windows on the E side, a
shallow bow much hemmed in.
realignment of Grove Street, an old
through a well-preserved enclave developed from the
1860s by the Norris estate, the
roads around the perimeter of the park were laid out by the Crown Commissioners at the same time as the park, but
development was slow
Trinity congregational church. 1901. By P. Morley Harder.
Ellesmere. Possible old Godson’s
Cemetery. High walls. Hambro Synagogue. Granite sarcophagi on paws. Closed 1886.
Slips. Managed Hackney District Board
Hackney District board
turning point for horse trams
Chapel. Ground Managed by Hackney District Board
Assemblies of God.
Was Hampden Chapel. 1847.
‘Merestret’ 1443, ‘Meerstreete’ 1593, ‘Mayre street’ 1605, ‘Marestreete’ 1621,
that is 'street of houses or hamlet on the boundary', from Middle English
‘mere’ and ‘strete’. Mare Street is now the main street of Hackney, but was
originally a small hamlet at the extreme south of the parish where the road
meets the border with Bethnal Green. Like so many old commercial thoroughfares, is a
late c19 and Edwardian jumble with neglected late Georgian frontages visible
intermittently above shop fronts?
late c18 group dating from 1780-1, built by Joseph Sparkman.
Bus Depot site of
black and white house. Hackney Brook
through the grounds
Suburb cottages. 1932. Remnants of
previous house in the gardens. A.Savill picturesquely laid out at the end of
the common. oasis of the site of a house of 1787 - some remnants remain in gardens.
Money Lane on
Corner was the
Chatham Place was
North is the
valley of the Hackney Brook.
watercress beds. Several long ditches, or rather trenches,
filled with running water. one of the artificial streams for the continual
growth of watercresses for the London market.
Houses built by
Hackney Free and Parochial Church of England School. Early post war secondary school replacing
1811 building, 1951. By Howard V.
Lobb & Partners, 1951, a very early post-war secondary school, replacing a
building of 1811. AExtended 1995 by Barren &
Smith. Science block, English department
71-83 an group built 1809-13;
The development was on land
of St Thomas's Hospital, Southwark, and the design possibly by the hospital
surveyor Samuel Robinson, or by the builder
1928. Changed use. Tall stretched-out
Penshurst Arms dated 1864.
Gravel Pit Chapel where Priestly preached.
1790s. Wedged between other building as industrial use. Board school on site of Gravel Pit. 1810 new chapel built. Faces towards Morning Lane. The Gravel Pit
Chapel was established as a small break-away group in 1804 from the Ram's
Chapel, Homerton. The Old Gravel Pit community
were a Congregationalist group. In 1810 they took the lease on the Morning Lane
site. By 1853 the congregation had quadrupled and an extension was built.
However in the 1860's with the congregation increasing all the time and the
lease expiring in 1871, it became clear that new premises would have to be
found. Besides this the building was found to be in an alarmingly precarious
structural condition. This was discovered by an old man who dozing off one
Sunday, so the story goes, felt the pillar against which he had rested his head
move. He reported this to the church authorities and it was discovered that
rather than supporting the ceiling the pillar in question was actually hanging
from it, as were several others in the building. Considerations of safety
accelerated the decision to move. The Old Gravel Pit Chapel saw its last
service on 23rd April 1817 and the new chapel in Lower Clapton was inaugurated
on 26th April 1871.
Plaque to Jospeh Priestley, 1733-1804 which says
'scientist, philosopher and theologian, was Minister to the Gravel Pit
Meeting here in 1793-1794' . Priestly was born in Fieldhead nr Leeds, and is
best known as the chemist who discovered oxygen, nitric acid, hydrochloric acid
and sulphur dioxide. As well as for their individual uses, he claimed he
improved methods for studying gases, in order to benefit mankind. Later, as a
result of a religious experience, he became a Unitarian Minister. The Gravel
Pit Meeting, was a large gathering of like minded people who supported the aims
and principles of the French Revolution. Priestly, for his part, preached a
like revolution for Britain, this wasn't exactly appreciated by those in power.
They, via the local police, organised a mob to ransack his home and fire it. In
1794 he was persuaded to emigrate to America,where he was given a hero's
welcome. Plaque erected 1985.
Site of pond
where the brook went
Mead Place Retreat Almshouses 1821 for dissenting widows. Gothic revival. Bombed and demolished
17 A family home
with sustainable attributes including natural building materials, harvested
Once called Water
18 site of Shore
House now gone. 1570 belonged to the
19 bits of the
old mansion house found in the gardens
Was Lammas Lands
so common land but shut off for a lot of the year.
gravestones and the strip of green. A typical stucco-trimmed terrace dated 1859, with earlier reset stone of 1807.
Homerton Road. Truant board school.
London County Council flats. 1906 on site of Jerusalem Square behind it, in Valette
Street, tall very plain built for those displaced by the widening of Mare
Hall 1912 built as HQ of Friendly Society
An array of plain mid-Victorian detached villas,
220 Bedford Hotel
given character by its
paired arched windows to the upper floors.
Royal Hotel. Stuccoed
The Falcon and Firkin
Brewery one of a group of pubs in London – which were
owned by Midsummer Leisure - which brew three or more ales, to the same
recipes, in each of their pubs.
centre. Liberties type shop. Behind it where the horse drawn trams turned
round. Pottery was a Coach House - the
Metropolitan Tramway Company’s drivers’ restroom.
Library. 1964 Gibberd
Cardinal Pole School. An annex
occupies the former French Hospital by R. L. Roumieu, 1865. Built to house
forty men and twenty women over sixty, replacing an earlier building in Old
A tight enclave of stuccoed terraces begun in
the 1850s but mostly dating from the 1860s.
Brook along it
skirting Berger Factory
Lord Nelson was
the Woolpack Brewery. On the site of the
brook by a bridge. Viaduct of the
railway goes over what was the brewery yard.
Wyke Estate built by London County Council on the
site of the Berger factory
Berger's Paints. one of the largest
local industries, established on land
off Shepherd's Lane in 1780, and surviving here until
Centre of an old
by a jumble of low shops and street market.
With the typical c19 development of small
industrial concerns behind.
Well Street slips
152 site of the
Eagles where Morley MP and father, the Nottingham hosier, lived.
school. Opposite site of charity schools
Hotel includes the Hand in Hand and the Widows’ Home. Asylums for the Jews, which also became
Next door Hackney
Depot was LGOC Horse Tram Depot
Palace road where Forsyth House is was site of Priory of St.John of
Jerusalem. Supposed to have been a
Pilgrim Rest place. Gone by 1831.
One of the few green areas in East
London where there are no adjacent towers of flats to diminish the sense of
space. one of
the old stretches of common land which have survived . On a quiet evening you
can almost see the sheep munching away. Elms gone. Last bit of old Hackney
Park. Path to South Hackney. Probably a well at cottage place near where
St.John of Jerusalem Priory was.
Cassland Estate. Probably called Botany
Bay & charity of Sir John Cass.
Thomas Cass father was carpenter to the Royal Ordnance. Mr. Cass lived in Lauriston Road or before it
was built 1690s. French Hospital
in garden of old rectory.
Jumble of low
shops and street market