Kennington - Newington Butts
this post has not been checked or edited
Post to the north Thames Tributary Neckinger Waterloo & St Georges
Post to the west Lambeth Riverside
27 Two Eagles. pub
Gone. End is Gilbert Road
Walworth City Farm. 1987 derelict rubbish dump. Grows Asian and Afro Caribbean vegetables
A cluster of white towers built in the late 1950s. The scheme was drawn up in 1955 for the L.C.C. Architect's Department by Edward Hollamby and six 18 storey towers were built. the estate was extended in the 1960s, with five 26 storey towers..
Branch Library with clubroom above, and a mural and other decoration by Anthony Holloway.
Henry Moore reclining figures. Forlornly stranded on a grass mound near the towers is a sculpture by Henry Moore, Reclining Figure, set up as part of the idealistic post-war L.C.C.'s policy of modern sculpture in public places
Shopping Precinct. On the far side of the towers a long seven-storey range with projecting centrepiece and a passage through it
Lambeth Hospital. Infirmary Building and Lambeth Workhouse, 1873. Lambeth Hospital. Developed from the infirmary buildings 1877 by Fowler & Hilt added to Lambeth Workhouse. Operating theatres by Yorke Rosenberg & Mardall, 1967
Neckinger down it
Burrup Place (not on az)
Cable hauled trams from junction to Streatham Library in Brixton Road 1895‑1904.
Terraces of cottages by Adshead & Ramsay, 1913. They are in a neo-Regency style, something very progressive at that time
Site of Lambeth Hospital.
For the Duchy of Cornwall. Later neo-Georgian housing by the Louis de Soissons Partnership
1877 St.Mary's Church, 1872 inside grand Historical Society, Surrey City and Guilds, so Kennington Theatre,
Royal Surrey Zoological Gardens between Kennington and Walworth Roads. 1831. Lake, music hall and everything else. Sold off in 1878. Three years after the London Zoo began, a zoo opened in Walworth in 1831. It was called Royal Surrey Zoological Gardens and the proprietor was Edward Cross who moved a menagerie from its original home in the Strand. The zoo had lions, tigers, elephants, llamas, a pair of dromedaries presented by the ruler of Egypt, and a giant tortoise on which children were able to ride. Five giraffes were brought from Africa by an Arab boy Fadlallah. A model of them is in the Cuming Museum. In 1848 Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and the royal children paid the zoo a visit. They were especially interested in a rather strange animal friendship - a tigress and a dog that lived in the same cage. The zoo closed in 1856 and nothing of it remains in the Manor Place area, where it was situated.
Kennington Station. 18th December 1890. Terminus of Northern Line from Waterloo. Between Oval and Elephant and Castle on the Northern Line. City London and Southwark Railway. Station tunnel 3ft deep brick lining and 20ft wide l6ft high and 20 ft long. Dome housed headgear and hydraulic lifts. One of the original stations on the first tube line. Now a listed building
London Park Hotel - Third Rowton House,. Setup 1896,architect, H. B. Measures, at the Elephant & Castle originally asa Rowton House having 805 cubicles for working men. It was the third in a series of 'Poor Man's Hotels' started by Montagu William Lowry Corry, Lord Rowton, 1838- 1903. He had been private secretary to Benjamin Disraeli.He made a survey of London's common lodging houses for the Guiness Trust and decided to establish working men's hotels. It opened on 23 December 1897. The best possible lodgings were provided for the small charge of 6d per night. The reading room contained a large variety of engravings representing scenes from Shakespeare. The smoking room was also decorated with engravings and stags' heads. It had its own rooftop gardens, built over the dining rooms. In 1903 additional land was acquired anda further 211 beds were opened. In 1941 a bomb hit the boiler room, demolishing part of the reading room above. There was a Second bomb in 1944. There was a laundry, plus a furniture and an engineering shop for metal equipment, were adjacent.
Wilberforce Mission House
Oblong of late c 18 to mid c 19 terraces formerly Prince's Square after the builder
Sculpture of a recumbent figure, by James Butler, c. 1970.
48 Prince of Wales Cosy one-bar pub in corner of quiet square. Interesting tapestries and history of pub on wall.
Combines all the housing (and garaging) within a series of A-frame ziggurats rising to nine storeys. They used a Wates system to fit the design by Lambeth Architects Department, and are the most extreme example of attempts to make the tower form visually exciting in a brutalist manner
Housing of the 1960s. One of the most extreme housing contrasts of the 1960s: three of Lambeth's concrete towers,
Georgian Square built just before the First World War by the Duchy of Cornwall.
Cottages by J. D. Coleridge, 1913
Fairford Grove (not on AZ)
Farmer vitriol makers Farmer in 1858 factory founded in 1778
Street (not on AZ)
Gone, north of Kennington Lane and east of Chester Way
35 Hampton Court Palace. Pub. Imposing interior with high ceilings
Gone, north of Kennington Lane and east of Chester Way
Probably means ‘farm of a man called Cena’.or ‘place of the king’. ‘Chenintune’ 1086, ‘Kenintone’ 1229, ‘Kenyngton’ 1263. In 1337 given to the Black Prince and it has belonged to the eldest son of the king ever since. Part of the Duchy of Cornwall.
Kennington Park Road
Roman Road radiating from London Bridge opened up for suburban development by the opening of Blackfriars Bridge. Wide and tree-planted on either side some of the prettiest late Georgian terraces in South London. Modern flats, houses and shops line this pleasant thoroughfare but at the southern end, are numerous late Georgian houses with tree-filled front gardens.
St. Mary's Church built in 1877 Facing the road a fragment of the stone front and tower by Fowler, , sheltering the church of 1957-8 by A. Llewelyn Smith. The church is the successor to the medieval parish church of Newington which stood by the burial ground on the E side of Newington Butts.
Surrey Zoological Garden site of 15 acres
City and Guilds of London Art School studios and classrooms
42 Old Red Lion pub Genuine olde worlde pub dating back to William III.
46 Mansion House pub. Dates to William III with oak beams and brick noggin. Cocktail lounge with piano bar.
59, the former vicarage of St Mary's, Gothic, 1873,
114-132 flanking the entrance to Cleaver Square, 1787-90 by Michael Searles for 138 White Bear pub. Ex-coach house. Theatre in the rear. Comfortable, spacious trendy bar notable for settee seats, sewing machine tables and numerous mirrors on walls.
Denny Crescent, cottages 1913.
Kennington Cross gents Underground 'gents', 10 urinal 'stalls.' and one fish-tank cistern - a second was smashed by vandals in the 1970s
Metropolitan Cattle & Drinking Trough Association horse trough, disused. Note low-level trough for shorter creatures.
Built up after Westminster Bridge
opened up this part of Lambeth, still has a remarkably complete collection of
late c 18 to early c19 terraces.
111 Tankard pub. Spacious two-bar pub close to Imperial War Museum with comfortable panelled lounge.
Junction of Kennington Road, an underground gentlemen's Convenience c. 1900, with original fittings (by Finch & Co. of Lambeth),
114-132 Michael Searles 1787
171 Ship Lively two-bar pub. The pub has a nautical theme with nets hanging from the ceiling and other artefacts.
293 Charlie Chaplin’s pub, was previously The Roebuck.
317 with a pediment inscribed Marlborough House by Michael Searles.
340 Cock Tavern Back street local with small Public Bar.
Vauxhall Manor School Annexe. Good example of T. J. Bailey's mature three-decker board schools with jolly Jacobean skyline. 1897, wing 1910
Balls Yard was 1870 London Tramways Depot.
St Philip, 1862-3 by H. E. Coe with chapel by H. S. Rogers, 1913, ragstone Decorated style. Demolished.
Old Town Hall Church of England Children's Society. Formerly Lambeth Vestry Hall Until 1908. After vigorous Local debate this building was erected on an island of waste ground in 1852-3 as the vestry hall, for the parish of St. Mary Lambeth. The architects were R Willshire & K Parris The outer bays, which housed offices and a committee room, were raised a storey perhaps in 1872-3 making the portico much less dominant. After a period of use by a charity the building was restored in 1994. One of the earliest surviving municipal buildings in South London. surplus when Brixton town hall completed 1908.
Kennington Park Place.
5 Day Nursery. Built for Bishop of Rochester. By Norman Shaw, 1895. A very subdued Queen Anne facade of six bays.
Old chapel at the back with lunette windows and big eaves.
Kennington Theatre once stood here
94 King's Arms. Modern Saloon Bar with pool table and juke box in Public Bar.
185 White Hart Modern furnished large saloon.
23l‑245 1791 offices for the Gin Distillers Co.
247 Pilgrim. Modern comfortably furnished interior.
355 Royal Oak Comfortable, friendly one bar local.
349 Duke of Cambridge
372 Royal Vauxhall Tavern
Herbert House c. 1860 is an orphanage to give pupil teachers of the school vicarage of 18th was a house of manager of Vauxhall Gardens, opposite
Site of first water works. South London Water Cos. works built in 1807 and burnt down six weeks later. Built two circular reservoirs on the site. 1854 altered and opened the space. Water taken from Washay, which came from Brixton into the Thames at Vauxhall. Built another works in 1827 at the foot of Vauxhall Bridge Cumberland Gardens. 20 hp engine from Kennington Lane. 142" tunnel into the middle of the river. Pumping water from the river to Kennington Lane reservoir. Then water from Vauxhall Creek was bad so they built big tunnel into the river and took river water only. Engine put there in 1840. Amalgamated with other companies in 1843. Closed 1847 and sold to Phoenix Gas Co.
St Anne R.C. 1903-7 by F. A. Walters, large, with side chapels between the buttresses inside, tall arcades, and an Arts and Crafts stencilled chancel.
St.Anne's House 1824. Soanian neo‑Greek complicated entrance. Note the pleasant entrance,
St.Peter's Schools boys and girls, and an art school, which became the school room 1863 231‑245 1791 offices for the Gin Distillers Co. Soup kitchen became the school room
St.Peter’s Church edge of area of Vauxhall Gardens, altar on the site of Neptune Fountain. By J. L. Pearson, the architect of Truro Cathedral, St John Red Lion Square, and St Augustine Kilburn. This was his first major town church, planned in 1860, built to a cheaper modified design in 1863- 4, for the Rev. Robert Gregory, together with schools, orphanage, and vicarage in the slum area that had developed on the site of Vauxhall Gardens.
Vauxhall Manor School 1897/1901 three decker board school.
Vicarage house of manager of Vauxhall Gardens
Durning Library. Paid for by Miss Durning Smith. 1889. Lambeth benefited from the patronage of Sir Henry Tate, who lived at Streatham. Many South London libraries were designed by his protégé S. R.J. Smith. They are enjoyable examples of minor late Victorian municipal showmanship.
Imperial Court, the former Licensed Victuallers' School, by Henry Rose, 1836. Large, with a composite portico and pediment. A school would never have been so ambitious in its architecture before the c19, when higher education for the middle class became important enough to call for the monumental. An imposing pile with the swimming pool/drill hall, added in 1890. For the children of decayed Licenced Victuallers who are fed, clothed & educated” NAAFI moved in when kids moved to Slough 1921. Historical collection. Role of canteens in 2WW
155-157; with good door cases, c. 1776-80 Duchy of Cornwall Estate Office.
Kennington Park Place.
5 for Bishop of Rochester Day Nursery
2 Simpson Maule and Nicholson manufacturing chemist 1885
Site of Wellington Mills Joshua Oakley & Sons manufacturers of emery, sand etc. three stores in the adjoining development.
Wellington Mills G.L.C. housing co-op. 1976. High density infill
St.Anselm. Planned in 1911 but not completed until 1932-3. By Adshead & Ramsay, architects of the adjacent Duchy of Cornwall housing. Mural below the clerestory. 1971 by Norman Adams. Abstract design
Elephant and Castle station. 18th December 1890. Terminus of Bakerloo Line from Lambeth North. Between Borough and Kennington on the Northern Line. City and South London Railway between King William Street and Stockwell. The station was similar in design to that at Kennington. 1920s Northern line station partly rebuilt. 1960s Northern Line station rebuilt during the construction of the Elephant & Castle shopping centre and roundabout . 2003 Northern Line station modernised with a New extension entrance from Skipton Street. 5TH August 1906 Opening of Baker Street and Waterloo Railway from Baker Street to here with the terminus and the building of a typical Leslie Green structure.
Doctor's surgery, 1992 Penoyre and Prasad
Mansion House Street.
Gone. Was south side of Kennington Lane
Lambeth Community Care Centre, 1985 Edward Cullinan Architects This community care facility – accommodating a 20 bed community care centre, with day care for 35 and its own therapy and nursing staff-provides local hospital attention and specialist medical services. It is an unusual commission for the 1980s and has probably attracted more attention from northern European architects than British ones.
Newington . ‘Neuton’ c.1200, ‘Niwentone’ 13th century, ‘Newenton’ 1258, ‘Neuwyngton’ 1325, that is 'the new farmstead or estate', from Old English ‘new’ - oblique case ‘niwan’ and ‘tun’. Grew up as a farming area after Lambeth Palace brought more traffic on the Kent road. Got a reputation for making clay pipes. Henry Penton was a big landowner who began to sell for building.
Newington Butts is recorded as from 1558 and recalls the site of the old archery butts here either archery or family name. Main road that soon becomes Kennington Park Road. It has an historic name for in 1538, when archery became a compulsory exercise for all citizens, butts were set up here. Somewhere here, too, Joanna Southcott founded her meeting house with Mr. Carpenter, her main disciple. Later the two quarreled and Joanna went off to Lambeth to repeat the process with a Mr. Tozer. Faraday was born in 1791 in Newington Butts. He began his career as a bookbinder's errand boy in Marylebone but later, when he attended lectures at the Royal Institution, he came under the patronage of Sir Humphrey Davy who fostered his scientific inclinations. Faraday's inventions were too numerous to catalogue but any single one of them could have made him famous. In later life he moved to a house at Hampton Court and he died there in 1867.
17 Butts Free House. No real ale.
22 Leisure Centre 1878/80. Elephant and Castle Recreation Centre. By the swimming pool there's a pink elephant. Large, low complex incorporating swimming pool, sport centre, etc. By Southwark Architect's Department, 1978
140 Plough and Harrow pub. Lively comfortable two-bar timber panelled
146 Cricketers pub
St.Mary's churchyard. Church pulled down in 1876 and now in Kennington Park Road. Medieval church rebuilt in 17th and pulled down for road widening 19th. Various churches stood here in the past including Norman, medieval and Georgian buildings. At one of the churches the parents of Samuel Pepys were married. Clock tower given by R.S.Faulconer. Managed by Newington Burial Board
Metropolitan Tabernacle. Although it has been given a "face lift" the Baptist tabernacle has remained virtually unchanged through all the changes at the "Elephant". The first tabernacle was built in 1861 but was burnt down in 1898. The second building perished by enemy action in 1941 but it was again rebuilt and 1959 saw the present building, with 1,750 seats, opened for worship. In addition to the church and gallery, the tabernacle has an extensive crypt, a large Sunday school hall and a wide range of offices as well as very strikingly designed glass-fronted baptistery on a mezzanine floor level. Spurgeon's Tabernacle 1865 original Surrey Tabernacle. Built in 1861 for Charles Haddon Spurgeon (d. 1892), the Baptist preacher, and rebuilt after a fire in 1898. It was gutted by bombing, but being rebuilt. Spurgeon's Tabernacle 1865 original Surrey Tabernacle. Rebuilt 194l, 1,750 seats.
Newington Estate Southwark Borough Council 1971-7; low yellow-brick terraces.
The Drapers livery company created Walters' Almshouses on a site now at the southern intersection island in 1640, giving the tower block opposite its name 'Draper House'. The almshouses were relocated to Brandon Street in the 1960s as part of the major redevelopments here.
Draper Estate L.C.C 1962. High-rise flats over shops,
16 Bar South Central was Draper's Tavern
Gone, Line of Gilbert Road
1950 Lambeth tower blocks. . Densely packed group mixed heights up to nine storeys, enlivened only by some Festival-style tiled balconies and brickwork
Gone – part of a maze of streets south of Kennington Lane and east of Cleaver Square
42 Court Tavern
Magistrates' Court 1869 by T. C. Sorby, brick and stone, Tudor Gothic (court room with open timber roof),
Fire Station, 1868, enlarged 1896 by a tall asymmetrical building with Jacobean gable. By the L.C.C. Fire Brigade Department under Robert Pearsall. The earlier part plainer, with slightly Gothic window details.
Was Temple Street.
Walworth main works original L.C.C Tram Depot 1891
Former fire station, c.1910 – note look-out tower above.
Magistrates' Gourt of. 1869 - a sharp contrast with the County Court
Lambeth Hospital, A large rambling site, closed as a hospital in 1977 Built 1872
Site of Kennington Palace stables.
37 Alderman. Pub with haunted cellars
St .Mary's Square
Walcot Square 317 with pediment from Marlborough House.
198 actress Sarah Poole
Some good late-18th-century houses
Roots and Shoots, wildlife garden with large summer meadow, beehives, observation beehive, old roses, echiunis, 2 large ponds. Wildlife displays, nest box cameras, activities for children and adults. Hot borders, Mediterranean mound. Run by innovative charity providing training, garden advice and plant sates. Fine walnut tree and Acacia dealbata.
317 with pediment from Marlborough House.
White Hart Square.
Gone – was south of Kennington Lane and east of Cleaver Square
White Hart Street.
Gone – was south of Kennington Lane and east of Cleaver Square
Shelley School, matches mood of Knights Walk