Tooting Graveney

  this post is not finished and not edted or checked

Aboyne Road,

Garratt Green School. 1959 by the L.C.C. Architect's Department, for 2,200 girls. One of the first London comprehensives where the buildings were divided up to avoid too massive a scale.  Nothing over four storeys. The school has the advantage of a pleasantly open site with trees formerly occupied by the farm of Springfield Hospital.

Aldrington Road

St.Alban 1888-93 E. H. Martineau. Byzantine. The Morris & Co. glass c. 1893 was mostly destroyed in a fire in 1947. Rebuilt J. S. Comper

Broadwater Road

St.Augustine, 1929/71. By H. P. Burke Downing, 1929-31; Gothic

Church Lane:

St Nicholas.  The old parish church, which had the remarkable feature of a circular tower on its side was replaced by a new church on a site a little further Church on the site for 1000 years, Saxon church very small and round tower.  New church only built in 1833.  Saxon one demolished. It is a Commissioners' Gothic, 1833 by T. W. Atkinson.  Originally three galleries as usual. Monument Brass to Elizabeth Fitzwilliam 1582 and her husband 1555 

School 1828 Hill House eighteenth century villa

Pump lamppost and statue of Edward VI


Derinton Road

Totterdown Estate.  London County Council first cottage estate, 1903-11 1229 cottages for 1788 people the difference is the streets on a grid pattern, 6/6 was the original rent a week, five roomed houses 13/6 more some had baths

Dr Johnson's Avenue

Lodge, dated 1879,

Effort Street 

Was Recovery Road

Massingberd Way

209 21ft x 25ft garden of brand new house- Planned by owner around mature listed crab apple. 

Mitcham Lane

St.Boniface R.C. 1907 by Williamson Foss. Interior based on SS. Vicenzo ed Anastasia. Ostentatious 

Mitcham Road

Runs from the church to the High Street, with a simple pump of 1823 at one end and a florid lamp post and statue of Edward VII at the other neatly summing up the shift from village to suburban centre

United Reformed Church, 1904-5 Gordon & Gunton, 

Granada Theatre. Now bingo hall. Behind its proper classical facade by Cecil Masey & Uren, 1937 is a breathtaking palatial interior designed by Theodore Komisarjevsky, the best example in London of the American-inspired escapist extravaganzas of the 1930s. Huge foyer: a baronial hall with vaguely Byzantine columns and grand staircase, a more intimate Hall of Mirrors with Gothic arcading, and a vast auditorium seating over 3,000, with Gothic coffered ceiling, arcades, and canopies over the proscenium arch. The colours are chiefly cream, green, red, and brown. The bright lights necessary for bingo dispels something of the magic. Cathedral with spacious Gothic decorations, with stained glass windows

Defoe Chapel now a shop.  Was built in 1776 for congregation established in 1688. Two-storey pedimented classical front. Consecrated by Mrs.Hills, whose husband was the previous pastor, 1889 opened, with the Congregational Union, but did not happen, 1911 closed, became shop, auction room, central hall and is now bells shop, possible Defoe was a founder

93, incorporated in a school, and, worthwhile. 18th

Waterfall House, set back c.1800; three-storey centre, lower wings

Library, 1902 by William Hunt; top floor added 1908. Much terracotta decoration.

123 Smith gents' & boys’ clothing had kept a Lamson rapid wire system with 4 wires.      

Montana Road

19 Architect's evolving exotic garden. 

Tooting

Toot Hill.

'People of Tota'. In the Middle Ages there were two Tooting manors -  Tooting Bec  & Tooting Graveney. ‘Totinge’ 672,  ‘Totinges’ 1086, ‘Totinge de Bek’ 1255, ‘Thoting Gravenei’ 1272, ‘Totingraveney’ 1316, ‘Totingbek’ 1333, possibly 'settlement of the family or followers of a man called Tota', from an Old English personal name Alternatively 'people of the lookout place'. This is in any case most probably a folk name of early type. The estate was divided into two manors from the time of Domesday Book, hence the distinguishing affixes. Tooting

When the big screen version of the TV hit Dad's Army arrived at the Classic Tooting, actor Bill Pertwee was persuaded to make a personal appearance. Bill (alias A.R.P. Warden Hodges) gave a twenty-minute question-and- answer session to a delighted audience.

Tooting Broadway

The  'Broadway' was once a very large open space. Now it's just a small triangle of land near the station.

Statue to Edward VII. Memorial to him put up in 1911. Bronze by L.F.Roseleib. Barehead and regal.

All Saints Church.  1904 built with funds of Brendell Bull in memory of husband finished first vicar, used for music recordings.

Central Hall Methodists now demolished built by J. Rank


Tooting Graveney

Lower or South Tooting was held by Richard de Gravenel in 1215; this family probably came from Graveney in Kent. ‘Totinge 675’, ‘Totinges’ c.1060, ‘Totinge de Bek’ 1255, ‘Thoting Gravenel’ 1272. Common had LCC management

Tooting Grove

13 Queen Victoria


Tooting High Street

Still Bec is Stone Street

38 Castle

Tooting Broadway Station.  13th September 1926. Between Tooting Bec and Colliers Wood on the Northern Line. Built by the City and South London Railway in the house style of line when it was extended from Moorgate following the line being rebuilt and extended to Camden Town and South Wimbledon.  Hall's cement was used in the underground contract.  While building they had to be very careful about wet weather and employed Negretti and Zambra for weather forecasts.   It was designed by S A. Heaps, who was probably responsible for much of the interior detail, and Charles Holden, who designed the chaste stone-faced, stripped classical exteriors.

La Retraite convent eighteenth century

Waterfall House

16a Cinenews renamed Vogue

Baths.  1907 slipper baths.

J J Moons. This was one of the first Wetherspoon's shop conversions in South London. Long and narrow, the pub is bustling at the front, with a quieter, partitioned, no-smoking area at the rear.  Note the photographs of Edwardian Tooting opposite the bar.

Tooting Market

5 Swans Bookstall

Upper Tooting Road

Upper Tooting was held by the abbey of St Mary of Bec- Hellouin in Normandy, which lent its name also to Weedon Beck in Northamptonshire

The Elms, home of Benjamin Edgington, tent maker


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone