London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, edited or checked
War memorial The Portland stone memorial with a bronze sword set on one face of a
stone cross can be found at the junction. This was one of the first memorials
to be unveiled in the borough in 1920. The memorial cost more than £1,000 with
£86 for architect's fees.
The Royal British Legion memorial, at Chislehurst
cemetery, is a simple Portland stone headstone bearing a central carving of the
Legion's lion's head.
Easdens . unusually confidently handled house
early c 20. Sir AstonWebb, built as a church
Chislehurst Common, shown as ‘Chiselhurst Common’ on the
Ordnance map of 1805, is the site of an old cockpit - a reminder that cockfighting was once a
popular sport here as elsewhere until it was prohibited in 1834.
Bulls Head. Listed and distinguished flagship
Prickend Pond is an old
Parish lock up and stocks
near the Bull's Head
Wallings , Afoy's ownhouse, 1913, brown brick, harbinger of a
myriad between-the-wars houses.
Holbrook End piquant contrast in moods: crudely
handled neo-Georgian by Richard Creed, 1907,pushes forward aggressively,
Peasons Morley Horder's
neo-Tudor idyll,1924, in a groveof birches.
Farrington School Symmetricalgroup, rendered neo-Georgian houses 1910-11
by Gordon & Gunton 1925, .. All but the earliest building by Crickmer& Foxley founded as sister school to The Leys. boarders
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by