Clapham Common

this post has not been edited or checked

Post to the north Battersea Longhedge

Post to the east Clapham Old Town

Post to the South Clapham South and Balham Hill 

Post to the west Clapham Junction

Broomwood Road
111 Broomwood House, site where William Wilberforce lived, LCC plaque  'On the site behind this house stood, until 1904, Broomwood House- formerly Broomfield-where William Wilberforce resided during the campaign against slavery which he successfully conducted in Parliament' Plaque erected 1906


Cedars Road
Led down to Knowles's less ambitious Park Town Estate and it seems was intended as a direct route from Clapham to the fashionable West End. The terraces facing the common are of considerable importance for their date: 1860. The French pavilion roofs are amongst the first signs of that French Renaissance Revival in London which culminated in such buildings as the Grosvenor Hotel, also by Knowles, and fascinated for a time America as much as England. 
Cedars Estate G.L.C. 1961-8 Colin Lucas, job architect, one of the first to mark the move away from tower blocks to a more intimate and human scale for housing estates. 381 dwellings at 90 people per acre, a trail-blazing example of the lower densities adopted in inner London in the 1970s. 
Broadmead, an old people's home, is by Trevor Dannatt & Partners, 1969.
St.Saviour's Demolished: 1860 Knowles

Clapham
Chatham House home of Sir Polydore de Keyser owner of Royal Hotel, Blackfriars. RC. Lord Mayor of London and Alderman

Clapham North Road
Home of Rev Andrew Drew, son of Admiral Drew of Peckham, Vicar of St Antholin

Clapham Road
No. 91 is a neat tower of offices, the first in this area 1968
Former Temperance and Billiard Hall of c. 1900, low, with a large curved gable to the street.

De Montfort Road
10 home of Commander Harrold. Registrar general of shipping and seamen 1921-1938 087

Fontarabia Road

Lavender Hill
5 The Cedars Pub
14 Microbar also called  The Ink Rooms pub
47-49 The Puzzle Pub
102  Crown pub was a music hall
Ascension, Begun in 1876 by James Brook and completed by. T. Micklethwaite & Somers Clarke, c. 1882. A bellcote, designed by Micklethwaite, was destroyed by a fire, c. 1978.

Marmion Road

Netherfold Road
London County Council Weights & Measures

North Road
William Henshaw, organist at Durham cathedral
111 Broomwood House, site where William Wilberforce lived, LCC plaque  'On the site behind this house stood, until 1904, Broomwood House- formerly Broomfield-where William Wilberforce resided during the campaign against slavery which he successfully conducted in Parliament' Plaque erected 1906

North side
29 The Hostel of God. formerly The Elms built in 1754. Later wings, one converted to a chapel by W. H. R. Blacking, 1933) Plaque referring to it as the home of Charles Barry which says 'architect, lived and died here' plaque erected 1950.
30-32 The Cedars breaks The Georgian unity of the North Side with typically mid Victorian assertiveness. James Knowles Jun's, two identical five-storey blocks flanking the entrance to Cedars Road.
St Saviour destroyed in the war designed by Knowles Jun
110 Alverstoke. Plaque to John Burns which says 'statesman, lived here’ He lived here from 1914. Plaque erected 1950.
113 Gilmore House.  Built 1763 with bay and pedimented window, made symmetrical by an extension. There is an addition at the side of 1810 and at the back is a chapel by Philip Webb  -  added for Deaconess Gilmore, William Morris's sister -  built 1896-7, with fittings by Webb and stained glass by Morris & Co. of 1911-13. Plaque to John Walter which says 'founder of 'The Times' lived here'. Plaque erected 1977.
1 Brownwood, W.Wilberforce
Holy Trinity. The second parish church, built in 1774-6 by Kenton Cause when the housing development around the common had begun, J.Thornton very rich founded club and got the avowdson 1892. 
Library by E. B. L'Anson, 1889, gabled, with Flemish Renaissance decoration.
Northcote between Wandsworth and Clapham Commons
Okeover Manor on site of Church Buildings
St. Mary Redemptorist church
St.Barnabas 1879 by W. Bassett-Smith. .
Trinity Hospice.  2-acre park-like garden restored by Lanning Roper's friends as a memorial to him and designed by John Medhurst. Ricky's sculpture a feature.  
Woodlands on site of Church Buildings

North Street?

Northfield Road:
office for  Weights & Measures testers.
Coroner's Court; local taxation offices.

Queenstown Road
An elaborate three-storey Gothic terrace,

Stormont Road
LSB School ok 1903

Sugden Road
24 Plaque to Fred Knee 'London Labour Party pioneer and housing reformer lived here'.  
The Close
50 1869 Marold.
84 Branson Factory 1875-1950.

Victoria Rise
Guerdon House. Sir Dennis Guerdon, Victualler to the Navy and Sheriff of London, 1663. Indian and Chinese curiosities. Pepys died there Sold 1760.
Macaulay School, foundation stone of Clapham Parochial School there

Victoria Road:
Home of Frederick Gorringe of the store
Captain John Wolf. Naval commander and slave ship commandeer

Vistry Drive
Mile stone 1745.

Wandsworth Road
Lambeth low-rise housing, 1979 by Clifford Culpin & Partners,
516 Plough Brewery and the front of the former of c. 1870 with a big rusticated entrance arch. Good cast-iron railings in the form of twisted cables with the initial ‘W’ for Thomas Woodward, owner from 1868 to 1900. Cellar with cast-iron columns, like a crypt.
21 storey brutalist towers, front of old Plough Brewery, 1870, nice railings in the west building
518 Plough Inn occupies part of a symmetrical block of seventeen bays of very plain cottages of c. 1810, with a pediment over the centre five.
Hibbert Almshouses, with crocketed centre gable and Gothic detail, 1859 by Edward I'Anson.
636/8 Temperance Billiard Hall, c1910. The site was previously Meeks and later the South London, Brewery. bingo frontage addition.
401 factory of the short-lived Battersea wholesale Confectionery Co., 1890 - 1903
274 Bell has nice tiles in the porch, "Webb & CO.. Tile & Mosaic Works.

West Side
In 1815 there were twenty large houses, of which five remain, somewhat altered, amongst the redevelopment which took place mostly from 1895 to 1908.
They all date from c. 1800:
Battersea Rise House
Western Lodge

Wix Lane
Board School 1903 LSB a large three-decker on the more crowded fringe of Battersea, much terracotta decoration

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone