this post has not been edited or checked
Boundary markers between Limehouse and Ratcliffe
early 19th houses, which look like a pair but have only one doorway.
Railway extension. originally built in 1847-9 to link up with the Great Eastern Railway at Bow but later rebuilt by London & Tilbury railway. The short bridge over Bekesbourne Street is by Joseph Westwood, engineers, 1889.
Ben Johnson Road.
Crown and Sceptre also called the Jug House.
Bow Common Lane.
Hill Jones chemical co. 1830.
Leads towards the Rotherhithe Tunnel. re-erected over the entrance is one of the flanged-and-bolted cutting edges of the tunneling shields (its pair frames the entrance of the Rotherhithe side). Polished pink-granite piers to the portal.
Crossing the tunnel entrance is a cable-stayed footbridge, which links gardens on each side and provides a route to the Foundation of St Katharine at Ratcliffe
Low single-storey Neo-Georgian building of 1912 built 'to commemorate the 30th Anniversary ‘ of the inauguration of the Finnish Seamen's mission in London’.
Holland’s Pub. In the family since 19th ‑ treasure house.
a figure-of-eight green designed to provide a continuous link to the grander space to be realized when St George’s Fields was linked to Mile End Park.
Redbourn House Two eight-storey blocks of 1954-6,
Gatwick House. Quieter on the side which has recessed private balconies and generous living-room windows.
Gulliver. In the garden in front of Gatwick House, the novelty of a concrete play sculpture in Festival of Britain spirit: figure by Trevor Tennantt now battered
Stephen Hawking School. 1997 by Haverstock Associates. A special needs school. long classrooms, each opening to outdoor play spaces.
Built 1862 across Bow Common as the approach to Victoria Park . The name preserves the memory of valiant Baroness Burdett-Coutts, philanthropist, reformer, and ally of Charles Dickens.
St.Paul’s church 1956-60 by Maguire and Keith Murray, replacing a bombed church of 1856. Commissioned by a Marxist vicar. Their first church, and the first major expression in England of the principles of the liturgical movement. daringly innovative in the late 1950s, bold lettering by Ralph Beyer. 'This is the house of God, this is the gate of heaven.' font is an industrial stoneware vat set on an octagonal concrete block. Mosaics by Charles Lutyens, 1964-9, - funded by war-damage money Original 1858 church. Queen Adelaide gold money service. 1856 badly damaged.
Victoria Lead Works Lancaster & Johnson & Sons white lead and paint manufacturer and lead smelters. . W. W. & R. Johnson's second works. Adjacent to the Limehouse Cut. There were eight stacks for making white lead. In 1862 a furnace was installed to smelt the returns from the stacks. More stacks were added and, by 1939, there were 29 stacks together with melting house, tan shed, grinding and preparation rooms, three drying stoves and various ancillary buildings. Victoria Lead Works closed in 1951 and the premises were demolished in 1984. A pot was recovered from the site and presented to the Tower Hamlets Local History Library. In 1833 Robert Johnson, invited Dickens to visit their factory. Dickens provided a vivid account in ‘On an Amateur Beat’. In 1881, in Poplar, 23 women and 7 men were reported with lead poisoning. The most dangerous part of the process was said to be the removal of the white lead from the stack and afterwards. W. W. & R. Johnson & Sons provided their women workers with dresses, gloves, aprons, respirators and caps. The men were provided with jackets, aprons, gloves and respirators. The company also provided washrooms with petroleum, soap, warm water, towels and brushes for clothing and shoes. Seven minutes were allowed for washing and cleaning. Also a constant supply of sulphuric acid drink is kept and used, which is free to all workers in the factory. But, as the figures show, these measures were not enough to prevent lead poisoning. As R Campbell wrote in 1747, the labourers are sure in a few years to become paralytic by the Mercurial Fumes of the lead: and seldom live a dozen years in the business.
Area of Locksley Estate. maisonette blocks, added in the 1970s and typical of the GLC era; red brick with exposed-concrete floors and linking upper walkways. This late addition replaced industrial buildings along Limehouse Cut.
Sir Joseph Huddart & Company. the Elder Brethren of Trinity House witnessed a in Pimlico in 1789, one of whom was Joseph Cotton. His son, William, was to become the managing partner in a Limehouse rope works. Cotton's partner was Joseph Huddart who had patented a new method of making rope and the Limehouse factory was set up to make this. Boulton and Watt were asked to install the power raising equipment. and it was to them that they went for gas making plant sometime between 1806 and 1811. The ‘works’ where the gas making plant was situated was just north of today’s Commercial Road alongside the Limehouse Cut. The rope walk itself stretched north into an area which was then roughly known as Bow Common. The gas works was at the end on the Cut in the present Copenhagen Place, E3. Also demolition of a lead works on part of the site.
Copperfield Road factories backs
Johnson’s Lock furthest lock is now a weir. On a central island is a post carrying a rack and pinion which operated the paddle controlling the flow between the locks
Barnardo School. Now Ragged School Museum Trust. The school was opened in 1877 and in 1896 extended into the limejuice factory, but the school closed in 1908.
Gas Works wharves with coal tramway running along them
Victory Bridge with Ben Johnson Road
Brick stack, which is ventilation for a sewer c. 1906 by the L.C.C.
Salmon Lane Lock with lock cottage and pump house of 1864.
Path with access to Parnham Road, Salmon Lane and Commercial Road
Railway line from Stratford to Isle of Dogs and Millwall disused
On the bank Regent’s Canal Works of the Gospel Oak Iron Co. between railway and Commercial Road
Iron control valve on the bank and inspection cover to operate back pumping along the towpath to Mile End Lock.
Bridge a small twin arched 1820 carries Commercial Road across the canal
Commercial Road Lock. Twin locks. Right hand lock is a weir. Over the lock is a 36” iron pipe, part of back pumping system-carrying water from the Thames on the other side of the basin to the towpath. 12 locks from Hampstead Road and goes into Regent Canal Dock.
Steps to A13
Further variety provided by two-storey cottage terraces in, a bomb-damaged area.
Stepney Greencoat C.E Primary School of one and two storeys. 1970, succeeding to the Hamlet of Ratcliffe charity school
St Paul's Church of England primary school. One big room divided up. Cheerful
A rare example in recent times of roads cut with a Roman or Parisian ruthlessness across what was formerly a mass of east London streets. Before the coming of the docks these great arteries were not necessary. All heavy transport to and from the City was by water. There had been formerly a network of straggling villages, from Spitalfields to Poplar. Many of their highways were superseded in importance by these 'commercial roads, built in the period 1803-10
Crossroads - Commercial Road, constructed in 1810, meets with East and West India Dock Roads and Burdett Road at a major junction at Limehouse. In order to pay for the road, tolls were levied on vehicles passing through. A toll house stood at this junction until 1871.
660 London Joint Stock Bank tall and classical; entrance at the corner with Gill Street. Rusticated floor, upper floors with giant Corinthian columns of granite
Housing of 2000, by Baily Garner, shallow curved roof.
680 Passmore Edwards Sailors Palace. HQ of the British and Foreign Sailors’ Society. An unusually pretty building of 1901 by Niven & Wigglesworth. lavish carving on a nautical theme, including a regal figurehead keystone - presumably Britannia - grasping two galleons, flanked by the names of the winds, finely lettered. A rope moulding twisted around the names of the continents, and reliefs of seagulls touching down lightly on the waves as label stops. Anchors, dolphins, shields etc., embossed on the metal panels here and on the side to Beccles Street, Converted into flats 1983-4 by Shankland Cox for Rodinglea Housing Association. Also housed the King Edward VII Nautical College and was opened in 1901. The Tower Hamlets Chinese Association has its office here. The hostel was referred to locally as the 'stack o' bricks', because of the distinctive red bands on its frontage.
Limehouse station. 3rd August 1840. Between West Ferry and Shadwell on Docklands Light Railway. Between West Ham and Fenchurch Street on C2C. 1840 Built 1840 as Stepney Station. 1847 Junction when line built to Bow and Stratford. 1876 Rebuilt. Still has early wooden structure from the 1850s on the down platform. 1926 London and Blackwall station closed. Also called Stepney East renamed for DLR. On the right hand side under the railway arch can be seen two disused doorways, which at one time afforded an alternative entrance to Stepney East (later Limehouse) platforms. Vintage looking gas lamp supports sprout from above the door- ways This pair of doorways beneath the bridge on the south side of Commercial Road at the present Limehouse station are not what they seem. They look pretty convincing, but the entrances were actually bricked-up in the 1990s. The doors themselves, which differ in styling to those, which they replaced, are therefore modern, although the matt grey paint and subsequent weathering give them an authentic look. Up above there are two lamp brackets although for many years only one survived. Where did the other one come from? Is it genuine and retrieved from storage or a modern cast? Why should anyone put false doors over blocked openings, both here and on the other side of Commercial Road? In the name of conservation perhaps? Bold voussoirs
Limehouse Town Hall, 1879-81 by A. & C. Harston. A white brick palazzo with stone dressings. Arched moulded windows, channelled angle piers, central pediment and strong projecting cornice; chimneys rising from stone aprons on the face of the building. . Originally Limehouse Vestry Hall. For a while was the Museum of Labour History. this white brick vestry hall by A & C. Harston became the town hall in 1900. The large hall on the first floor survives relatively unaltered. Unusually equipped with a small internal balcony on wrought iron brackets.
15 Coade stone towers.
Passmore Edwards District Public Library. 1900-1 by J. G &.F. Clarkson. Stone except for the yellow brick upper outer bays with shaped gables. Two storey with attics in gables. Behind, the main library looks post-1945. Large mural of Limehouse Reach by Claire Smith, 1986. An androgynous angel broods over a Turneresque river with unpleasant flotsam. In front. Clement Attlee, Prime Minister 1945-51, and member for Limehouse 1922-50. A touchingly prosaic portrait in bronze, 1988, by Frank Forster, who won GLC competition in 1986.
Smartly painted girder bridge crosses Commercial Road which, despite having the ' appearance of a modern, functioning bridge carries no railway and has not done either for four decades! This carried the 'Salmon Lane' or 'Limehouse' Curve which linked the London & Blackwall proper with the Blackwall Extension Line between Stepney East and Burdett Road, opening in 1880. After two unsuccessful early attempts at a passenger service in the late nineteenth century, the spur settled down to a life of pure freight traffic until 1962, shortly after the Southend electrification scheme was completed and goods traffic towards Millwall Junction via Limehouse had virtually ceased. Railway extension originally built in 1847-9 to link up with the Great Eastern Railway at Bow but later rebuilt by London & Tilbury railway. The main viaduct of 1874-6 by Langley. Think this might have been demolished.
777-85 hugging the curve around St Anne's churchyard, and overlooking the Limehouse Cut, a group of red brick industrial buildings the former offices and engineering workshops of Caird & Rayner, a firm established 1889, which specialized in evaporators and condensers for distilling water. The Peabody Trust owns 773-785. built for and occupied in stages from 1889 by Caird & Rayner. They were engineers and coppersmiths who specialised in the design and manufacturer of sea water distilling plant for supplying boilers and drinking water on Royal Navy vessels, Cunard liners, cargo ships and oil tankers. In 1964, Caird & Rayner Ltd was described as 'one of the two big names in British marine distillation'. The company left Limehouse in about 1972 and was dissolved in 1995. Included among the many Royal Navy vessels fitted with Caird & Rayner plant were torpedo boats built by Yarrow and Company in Cubitt Town on the Isle of Dogs; First World War battleships and battlecruisers; HMS Belfast (1938) now moored on the River Thames; HMS Albion (1954) and HMS Hermes (1959) when they were converted from aircraft carriers to commando carriers. Starting with the Mauretania in 1906, Caird & Rayner's plant was installed on most of Cunard's great passenger liners, including Queen Mary (now at Long Beach, California) and Queen Elizabeth. For the QE2, Caird & Rayner's Limehouse works made treatment plant for domestic water and her four swimming pools. Caird & Rayner were the sole manufacturers of several related products, mostly patented by Thomas Rayner who was born in Stepney in 1852. His patent automatic evaporator has been on display at the Science Museum since 1902. Although he left the partnership in 1907, the firm continued to design new types of desalination plant, especially during and after the Second World War. All the designs were produced in the drawing office on the first floor of the 1896-97 office building next door to the 1893-94 office building which housed the managers' offices and general office. Both red-brick office buildings were architect designed in a Queen Anne style to respect the church and churchyard. The engaged octagonal buttresses on the 1896-97 building articulate its angled front around the curved site boundary on
811 more varied group is a tiny two-storey building, with shop front elaborately lettered for a funeral director. C. Walters, undertakers, were known as Francis the beginning of the 20th century. The establishment is over 200 years old and its frontage was refurbished in the 1990s with the help of English Heritage
815-21, early c19 terrace with the common motif of first floor windows within arches.
Star of the East. The dominant centrepiece in the terrace. Colourfully detailed later c19 front. Carved heads in all the tympana. . an imposing example of pub architecture. A pair of gas lamps survives on the pavement outside the premises.
777 have an office building of 1893-4 in front of a workshop converted in 1889 from a sail-maker's and ship chandler’s warehouse and sail loft of 1869. Original timber upper floor on strutted timber posts; queen- rod roof trusses. Loading door at first-floor level
747 The Mission, the former Empire Memorial Sailors' Hostel, by Thomas Brammall Daniel & Horace W Parnacott, 1923-4. Salmon Lane wing 1932 by George Baines & Son. A stripped Perpendicular exterior on a cathedral-like scale. The inspiration must have been the Sailors' Palace down the road. Subdivided as flats in 1989. a war memorial.
Wrought-iron railway bridge built on the Limehouse Curve in 1880 as a link between the London and Blackwall Railway and extension to Bow. Now gone.
Lady Immaculate with St Frederick R.C. Begun 1926-8 by A.J. Sparrow, but not finished until 1934. Plain brick Early Christian basilica. campanile, and an odd turret crowned with a statue of the Sacred Heart, designed as a war memorial to be seen from the river. Replacing a temporary church of 1881 by H.J. Hanson. oak statue of Christ the Steersman, designed to be seen from the river. In front of the church, bronze sculpture of Christ Crucified, with low relief panels on both front and back. 1997 by Sean Henry, made by Bronze Age, a local foundry. On the apse, memorial to Father Higley 1934, builder of the church. Sculpture of Our Lady of Grace, French c19, finely carved white marble, from Sisters of Charity convent. Mill Hill, now effectively set against a silkscreen print with red oval on blue, by Pauline Corfteld, c. 2000. Small carved wooden figure of St John Roche, shown as a boatman. , c. 1999.
Hall Below the church and Presbytery, 1934
Danish Seamen's Church In Foreign Ports now London City Mission. A haven on this tight wedge of land hemmed in by road and railway. 1958-9 by Holgerjensen with Armstrong & McManus.. Like the other Scandinavian missions to seamen, an admirable arrangement of homely accommodation, and a small church within an envelope characteristic of the seamen's own world. The church, with roof and clerestory lighting, is linked to rooms. 1958-9 by the Danish architect Holgerjensen in association with Armstrong & MacManus. The church forms one corner of a compact block with social rooms and minister's accommodation.
Bancroft’s Alms Houses. 24 poor men of the Drapers Company. School for 100 boys. £28,000. Said that he had got the money by his harsh iniquities as an overseer at the Lord Mayor’s School.
Docks entrance to Wapping road. Spacious courtyards.
North approach to Rotherhithe Tunnel new blocks of workers flats.
Modelle Court on the corner of Arbour Square 1938.
London Co-operative Society Store 1940 bombed and destroyed
Eastern Hotel where King of Siam lunched. At the Corner into West India Dock RoadFlamborough Walk
Extraordinary survival a little row
of stuccoed villas in a triangle of land by railway line. Individually
developed by the lessees of the plots from 1819-41 and, unlike neighbouring
houses, set back from Commercial Road behind a meadow.
Devonshire Cottage, 1834, dignified by giant Ionic pilasters
Thomas Gauthor of “Limehouse Nights” and other books, lived with his uncle for the first nine of his life. Also home to several sea captains over the years, and there is a headstone in Tower Hamlets cemetery, which bears the name of Captain Gill of Limehouse, and at least two other sea captains
Stepney Gas Works original works of Commercial Co. from 1837 ‑1946. Formed by traders dissatisfied with others. Vestrymen against it. 1885 enlarged and rebuilt. Three horizontal retort houses with stoking machinery. Closed 1946 but holder station plus meter repair shop remained until 1957. Italianate block like a superior railway station. Behind gasholders three times as high as the one in front.
Ocean Estate, 1950 London County Council housing. . - Immersion heaters and bathrooms with lavatories.
Ben Johnson School. Education remained the privilege of a minority of children - most of them boys - until the late nineteenth century when the 1870 Education Act finally introduced the concept of education for all. Administration of the new system was placed in the hands of locally elected school boards of which the largest and most important was the London School Board. The LSB marked its establishment by holding an architectural competition for the design of an elementary school for 1,600 pupils. The competition was won by Professor Roger Smith, and the resulting Ben Johnson School became the forerunner of the first generation of schools for all
272 Bronze Age Sculpture Casting studios
1770 following report by Smeaton.
Harker Stagg & Morgan chemical works on the canal 1833. Shares and used for transport of coal.
Tunnel 1989-93 engineers Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners built to link The Highway with new roads on the Isle of Dogs instead of an over ground relief road, which would have destroyed Limehouse. requiring the construction of an open cofferdam behind Limehouse Basin and the rehousing of 556 households many of whom were moved to Timber Wharves, Millwall. The tunnel goes in a concrete box beneath the dock following a very distinctive route. Cut and cover tunnel, with its underground slip roads to Westferry and Canary Wharf. It was made bottom upwards behind an open cofferdam, all involving massive temporary works of strutting and dewatering and the removal of 1.8 million tons of spoil by barge.
West Service Building closes the view down The Highway. Immense, stripy pink and buff stone structure designed by Roaney O'Carroll with Anthony Meads, which houses the services strongly sculptural steps to the gardens. .
Area of lead mills
St.Dunstan’s Church. Built in a marsh. Very old, has a Saxon crucifixion on a slab, a Saxon rood. It was originally a wooden church dedicated to All Saints in 952 St.Dunstan consecrated it – he was sainted in 1209 and it was then called after him. It was the only church in Middlesex east of London until 1300. The door on the tower has been there since the Wars of the Roses. It is a perpendicular building, with registers dating back to 1568 but the remains of the previous churches lie under it. Monuments: Colet tomb - he was twice Lord Mayor and lived opposite; "Fish and ring" monument to Dame Rebecca Berry, who was the heroine of the ballad called “The Cruel Knight and the Fortunate Farmer's Daughter.” It is like a village church. In the 1890s it had six working clergymen and nine scripture readers and 100 volunteer workers. Hit by a V2 in 1940s. Charrington’s gave aid for restoration.
land, originally the estate of Dean Colet, was developed by the Mercers' Company under the direction of their surveyor, George Smith, from 1819. The Mercers favoured 'respectable' working-class tenants and maintained their property more carefully than some other East End land owners, so early post-war plans for total rebuilding here were abandoned. Fortunately by the time the property was acquired by the G.L.C. in 1969, the tide had turned in favour of rehabilitation
Commercial Road Bridge c.1820.
Accumulator tower. The most impressive survival and, as renovated by Dransfield Design 1994-5, accessible to the public. The tower, octagonal with slit windows, and an octagonal chimneystack attached to it, are the only remains of a hydraulic pumping station of 1868-9, - contemporary with the new ship lock. It has a huge riveted wrought-iron weight case, 24 ft high, which held some 80 tons of gravel. This weight-case, which was driven up the tower to maintain the hydraulic pressure by steam engines under the viaduct, has been fitted with a helical iron staircase to an exhibition area and, at the top, a viewing platform. This pumping station superseded the first of 1852, which had a very early Armstrong accumulator, and stood, until 1994, on the w side of the Commercial Road lock. A third station (1898), was combined with back-pumping the canal to refill the four nearest locks, and the wrought-iron pumping main for this low-pressure water can be seen crossing the canal at the Commercial Road Bridge. These installations became largely redundant with changes of practice. Probably the first. Yellow stock brick. Sandstone stringcourse, and octagonal chimney. Remains of hydraulic accumulator, side plates removed and gravel contents spilling out. Displaced from its guides. 55' high chimney originally 70' high but truncated. Pit in front of entrance door, contains hydraulic pipes covered by timbers. Two steam pumping engines in Arch 267; coal in arch; machine shop, 25 men employed in 1897 in the hydraulic dept including engine drivers, stokers, and crane men. The date of tower is by 1870. ROD second dock after Poplar dock to use hydraulic power from 1853. 1869 new hydraulic pump in conjunction with the new ship dock. Listed Grade II.
Barge Basin infilled c.1842 - under two western 87 foot arches of London & Blackwall Viaduct. Barge dock - western. Northern enlargement under the triple arches eastern locks. By 1870 had acquired a timber shed, possibly for unloading in conjunction with Henry Page’s rice mill.
Remains of the c18 quarter around the church.
St.Ann’s Limehouse. One of Hawksmoor's East End churches. St Anne was furnished 1723-5 but not consecrated. The master mason for St Anne was Strong. Gutted by fire in 1850, the interior was reconstructed by Philip Hardwick and the local John Morris, 1850-1. Restoration, surprisingly faithful to the original, resumed under P. C. Hardwick in 1856-7 by Hardwick's pupil, young Arthur Blomfield. In 1891, as Sir A. Blomfield, he remodelled the chancel. Restoration 1983-93 by Julian Harrap, added tubular steel trusses by Hockley & Dawson, consulting engineers, to support the 019 roof. crypt, perhaps intended for use as a school and now a clubroom. organ by Gray & Davison, which won a prize at the Great Exhibition of 1851 130’ high tower. Highest clock in London.
11 bow-fronted house on the corner was often visited by Charles Dickens, whose godfather, Christopher Huffam, lived here.
2-4 early-detached villa converted c.1850 for use as a training establishment for boys. The facade still has a tin plaque reading British and Foreign Sailors' Society Off-centre entrance through a low fore building articulated to the street with a row of blind arches. Later 019 extension and paired arched first-floor windows for a chapel.
6a-b built into the boundary odd little later c20 houses roofed with big pantiles and with an Italianate tower.
Pleasantly detailed three-storey blocks, also of 1957-8, pale brick panels, private balconies, shallow-pitched roofs
Midhurst House curves to the street line,
Celestial Church of Christ, 1873-4 by F.J. Of H. Francis. The centre of a little enclave in Bartlett Park originally with a school as well as the former clergy house. Built as the Anglican St Saviour, made redundant 1976, given to the West African sect in 1984.
The first landfall downriver with a good straight road to London. A wharf existed here in 1348, the first known exploitation of the riverside east of the City, and by the cl6 many famous voyages of discovery were setting off from here. The hamlet, originally restricted to the riverside, expanded in the c15 towards Butcher Row, the main route to Stepney and Hackney. In the early c17 it was the most populous of Stepney's riverside hamlets with about 3,500 inhabitants. Its main street, later known as the Ratcliffe Highway (was lined with wharves, warehouses and shipbuilders' yards, and became a centre for glassmaking. But in 1794 a fire, which spread fiercely from an ignited barge of saltpetre at the East India Company's warehouses wiped out half of Butcher Row and necessitated much rebuilding. Soon after this, as the docks were established downstream, Ratcliffe's character changed dramatically as its population expanded from about 5,000 in 1801 to 17,000 in 1861 and it became a parish distinct from Limehouse in 1838 and prosperous wharfingers and tradesmen gave way to seamen and dockworkers. The building of Commercial Road in 1806-10 divided c19 Ratcliffe in two. The southern part towards the river became teeming slums around Ratcliffe Highway, made notorious by a series of murders in 1811
John Scurr House; originally one of a pair, part of a small slum clearance scheme. 1936-7 by Adshead & Ramsey for Stepney Borough Council.
Regent’s Canal Dock
Hydraulic Pump House c.1855 - oldest surviving in the world by Commercial Road entrance. Demolished. engine house with steam engine and two boilers, all disused. A small accumulator and a chimney are shown built into the north wall. This wall has clearly been rebuilt but does show some features, which might be original. A 2-inch o/d hydraulic main ending at a flange joint enters the building at the foot of this wall. probably used as an air raid shelter. During the 1950s the building was used as a workshop. This building appears on the OS plan of 1870.
Footbridge 1990s spans the canal at the entrance to the Basin making it possible to walk back to the DLR
Dora House five storey 1939 solitary example of the L.C.C. s pre-war
Maisonettes, six-storey "forbidding L.C.C. 1976.
Railway bridge built c. 1876 for the London, Tilbury & Southend line,
Ancient way to Limehouse and/or an old route leading towards the centre of Stepney, named after Robert Salmon, local landowner and Master of Trinity House. It became a shopping street for the small district of houses built up in the c19.
Mercers Company housing of c.1845
Cemetery tiny Nonconformist purchased and vested in the Stepney Meeting House by the will of mariner Captain Truelove (+1691). Some good Georgian stones and a single sarcophagus monument. It was attached to a set of almshouses.
Locksley Estate, filling the area between the Limehouse Cut and the Regent's Canal begun in the 1950s by the L.C.C. Immediately following their work at Lansbury housing over 3000. Walter Bor was architect-planner in charge, E. Humphrey the architect-in-charge. The intention was to create a neighbourhood, which excluded through-traffic and where amenities and housing were provided in buildings of mixed sizes.
Salmon Lane Evangelical Church, 1970s. Dark brick, entrance in the three-storey end, the church with large windows below a zigzagging Roof. Hall in basement.
Managed by vicar of St, James Ratcliffe
Surviving part of old White Horse Lane
Flood Plain gravel on it is imporous clay therefore gets waterlogged.
Second World War Mickey’s Shelter. 3’ man ran it. Canteen run by Marks and Spencer. Underground warehouses.
Stepney and Blackwall Railway junction
Closed in 1880. Line to Blackwall junction until the General Strike then it stopped. Trains from Bow used the spur. Until 1953 three trains a day. Harrow Lane Junction to Millwall Junction. Blackwall railway line from Stepney to Bow Junction 1849. East London Residential did not make a connection until 1854.
clock tower dedicated to Dr Stanley Bean Atkinson, which originally stood in Burdett Road and was moved here in 1934.
35‑77 61‑62 37 best house in Stepney. 1715‑20 Baptist College. 1850 chapel ok.
37 The London Jewish Hospital site. Opened in 1919 when it was mainly supported by the Jewish community, it was the Craft School open to all. The hospital expanded in the 1920s with the addition of a new nurses' home in Beaumont Square in 1939, but was demolished and replaced by the London Independent Hospital, which opened in 1986.
Dunstan Houses were built by the East End Dwellings Company in 1899, one of the many schemes initiated by Canon Samuel Barnett. The architects were Henry Davis and Barrow Emmanuel. The flats were built to provide housing for the honest, deserving poor.
33 Rudolph Rocker, the German anarchist, lived until his internment in 1914. Rocker was the editor of the Yiddish newspaper Arbeter Fraint (workers' friend).
Wickham House. Tower block since demolished
Stepney High Street
Churchyard the most interesting monument is a remarkable pyramid Panelled in stone and inscribed The Wisdom of Solomon' in English and Hebrew with an armorial shield below. A mid-c19 print shows that it formerly stood on a square plinth. War Memorial. Blessing Christ a harrowing relief of a corpse- in no-man's land. By Arthur G. Walker, unveiled 1921. Dozens of half-buried ledger slabs line the perimeter wall, taken from demolished tomb chests, an indication of the c18 affluence of this parish. 3-acres opened to the public as a park. Fountain and seats. Mentioned in Our Mutual Friend. Managed London County Council. A shaded seven-acre churchyard and is the heart of the Mercers Estate Conservation Area. Its close proximity to Stepping Stones Farm gives a strong rural feel to this part of Stepney
White Horse Road.
The medieval route from Ratcliffe to St Dunstan's Church and known from the c14-c16 as Cliff Street. It was lined with houses by the early c17 when its name changed to White Hart Street.
Limehouse District Board of Works Offices, 1862-4 by C.R. Bunch, Limehouse District Surveyor. Converted for Half Moon Youth Theatre in 1994 by Wallbank & Morgan.. The roofline was originally made lively by urns set on plinths. Separately constructed Board Room at the rear, its interior much damaged.
Hamlet of Ratcliffe C.E. School founded in 1710.Neo-Tudor of 1853-4, replacing a schoolhouse erected 1719-20. two canopied niches, designed to hold charity figures of a boy and girl, now at Stepney Green Primary.
Vicarage built in 1882 for St Matthew Commercial Road. Previously on the site was a house provided by Dean Colet's estate for the headmaster of St Paul's School.
Colet Arms. Named after Dean Colet founded St.Paul’s school. Lived there.
Mercer’s Company housing 1854-5 by George Smith, succeeding almshouses built in 1691 under the gift of Dame Jane Mico. Two storeys in a pale brick with projecting brick porches under stucco pediment,
Mercers’ Company houses. The centre of the Mercers' development 1825 George Smith, tiny but complete with its surrounding streets of two-storey two-bay terraced houses with simple arched doorways. Acquired by the GLC in 1973, and among the first of such terraces to be renovated in 1976.