this post has not been checked or edited
Was a house at end called Grove House 1456.
Former Townmead Road Schools. Now
part of Chelsea School of Art, low, well detailed Edwardian Board
Schools with dentilled gables.
Stanford Court, two-storeyed
sheltered housing by the borough, c. 1986,
Park imaginatively landscaped small -
also a creation of the 1980s, with a circular green buffered enclosed sitting and
play areas, one with an octagonal -children's centre.
An instant riverside town for the
rich; hotel and housing c. 500 dwellings with attendant amenities for 4,000
people built in 1986-9 on derelict railway land at Chelsea Basin. Undertaken by P&O. it forms the focus of
the development originated as a dock for the Kensington Canal. Initially in 1981 Ray Moxley and Peter Bedford envisaged a
wider social mix than was achieved. The
final scheme was carried out by Peter Bedford together with the Moxley Jenner
Partnership and Chamberlin, Powell, Bon & Woods. A cheerfully 'inclusivist' mixture of
eclectic styles provides a stage set around the marina. Underground car park
for 1.350 vehicles. Shopping mall did not do well and was converted to a trade
centre for the interior design industry. P&O sold it in 2000 to the
Berkeley Group for £59m.
The Belvedere a twenty-storey tower as a landmark. Its profile is a faint echo of the campanile
of St Mark's in Venice, with the additional spectacle of a golden ball on its
summit intended to rise and fall with the tide.
Marina. 50 berth
Chelsea Garden Marker, prominent
roof-line where three glazed domes cover the atria of a covered mall with
shops, offices, and workshops.
Harbour Yard, another complex with
restaurants, offices, and workshops, has a facade to the marina
Conrad Hotel.by Triad Architects, seven storeys above a
striped granite two-storey plinth. 160
suites, conference facilities and a health club.
Basin (EwR/LNWK) Site of Hydraulic Pumping Station
Raillines. nothing remains of
the network of sidings here, and
on the other side which once served the
erstwhile Imperial Gasworks.
On the line of the railway
Fulham Extension Railway from West Brompton Station.
Covered way in a cutting and then a brick viaduct, 'ornamental character' to
please the ecclesiastical commissioners, 1870s.
Kensington Canal, was site of Counters Creek or
Billingwell ditch 1820s enlarged up to Cromwell Road by a company and
contracted to Mr. Hoof. Nationalised in 1947 and 1959 filled in except for
access to the gas works, the only users by then. Last delivery there in 1967.
Gasworks dock there with steel guillotine gate from 1946. Load of rubble. Above
the dam was a lighter with its back broken. To King's Road canal bed there but
full of rubbish
Area between King's Road, river and east of Wandsworth
ridge Road called Sands End. Bed of sand under the soil. Sands Wharf Sands
named for a sandy ford. Called ‘Sands End’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1876 but earlier ‘atte Sonde’
1408, ‘Sand end’ 1655, ‘Sandy End’ 1816, that is "district with sandy
soil', from Middle English ‘sand‘ and
‘ende’. The first spelling means 'place at the sand', from Middle English
‘atte’ - 'at the'.
Town meadows too damp for plough therefore hay.
School part of Chelsea College of Art
Sainsbury's spreading hogs a prime
riverside site. On the site of the Power station
Fulham Power Station 1938. Commissioned by CEB. Highest thermal efficiency in the country
in 1948. Once
one of the borough's proudest monuments 1936 jetty. Quite impressive,
works beyond a sturdy utilitarianism 1901 designed by G. E. Baker It was
planned as the largest municipally-owned
generating plant in . the country.
Sands Wharf, a vast development of
Bovis flats masquerades as minimal Hanseatic warehouses.
Macfarlane Lang Imperial biscuit factory. Closed down because of gas works pollution
Van der Bergh margarine works
Kops Brewery very successful
Fulham rubbish destructor
Townmead Estate and Comber House where the pottery was