London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
53 Acre Lane Garage. The 1920's facade, of Escott, motor van
builders and for a short time, Carrimore Coaches. Later a timber store.
79 New Imperial Laundry, washing shed 20 shops in London.
Sunlight laundry until 1976.
86/8 Cheltenham Works of Rodent Co Int.where "Cheltenham Mineral Water" was
concocted.The firm invented the Crown cap.
Pall MallCleaners Great-West-Road-style factory of the 1930s
Homes,almshouses of 1822-6
by James Bailey & Wiltshire, nine bayswith
raised pedimented centre and Doric porch.Rangebehind with former
washhouse, also pedimented. Another range1806
5-9 former South Suburban Cooperative
Factory Pall Mall Cleaners 30s
Trinity Asylum, wash house
Junction LCD railway line to Peckham Rye built by Brighton
Bon Marche depository
Empress Theatre of Varieties, more
recently Granada Cinema and latterlya
Is this where the Brixi’s boundary stone was. Part of the
slope going up to Streatham.A Roman
road is was previously called Brixton or Bristow Causway.
Fridge this was the Palladium Cinema and had a baroque
facade, since removed.
emblem for Amalgamated Construction Equipment Ltd.
1920s small garage and three charas lorry and coach
private buses kept there in the 20s.
Landry and Co. Haulage Co not made the money from renting
space to bus operators, entrance from Water Works Road became the
Cambrian-Landray group garage. Later used by LT for Green Line and private hire
buses. Lambray Garage still there.
Brixton Cinematograph. Pykes Cinematograph Theatre
laterbecame the Clifton and then
Sports shop in
reality Pyke's Cinematograph Theatre of 1910
billboard support frame. only part to remind one it was once a cinema is outside.built in
1911 and run by Montague Pike, a big cinema entrepreneur - it closed in 1957.
from the earliest stage of post war development
New Park Court from
the earliest stage of post war development
Lambeth Town Hall.Built for the Metropolitan
Borough of Lambeth in 1906-8 to house the borough’s offices and civic
suite.It was designed by Septimus
Warwick and Herbert Austen Hall winners of a competition assessed by Henry T
Hare.An intended -assembly hall was not
added until 1935-8 to designs by the same architects.sculpted
allegorical Figures representing Justice, Science, Art and Literature- a big
hefty blacksmith directly outside Buckingham Palace and figures on the Albert
processional route from the entrance up the principal staircase to the first
floor civic suite is embellished with polychrome floors made up of black,
white, and green marble and plaster work incorporating coats of arms, swags,
drops and cherubs' heads.Queen Mary
opened the new bit in October 1938.In the entrance hall, a plaque of a
wheelwright's shop, by Tinworth.
Palladium.Another 1930 cinema
next to the Town Hall, designed in a similar architectural style - now
converted with a modernist front as a nightclub.
St Anne's terrace home of Susannah Spurgeon before
195 Alfred Sands & Co dyes
407-409 Beehive. single-bar pub which attracts a wideranging
clientele. Good quality beer is guaranteed in this typical Wetherspoon's
outlet.The wood-panelled walls display
pictures of the area around the 1930s.
199/213 1905 branch of Williams bakeries.
Clapham High Street
Clapham North Station, Deep shelter in 2WW. Built by LT as agents for Minister of Home
Security with sleeping accommodation for 1,200 people. Ten shelters each of two
parallel 1,400 ft tunnels l6' 6" diameter. Used to so that they could be
part of an express railway in the future military use for a long time. Used by
the public. 1942 underneath underground station to be linked after war to high
speed tube never built. 1 parallel 1,200 tunnels on two floors with iron bunts.Right angle extensions for first aid, wardens
and ventilation and lavatories below street level so sanitation in hoppers
under the work. Post-war all the
shelters as temporary hostels – general ad hoc hostel. It was for example used
to house the 1948 'HMS Windrush' West Indian emigrants (who then established
themselves in nearby Brixton) and Coronation and Festival of Britain visitors.
Garage of J.Wine haulage contractors rented garage space
to private buses in the 20s
355 one of a
good stretch of late c18 houses again,with
an excellent door case with largedelicate fanlight.
Garden House is a grandertype, with two bow
windows and side entrance.
1840 by T. Marsh Nelson. Hexastyle
Ionic portico. A very late example of the classical style for the Church of
Marquis of Lorne Pub comer ofMordaunt with a yellow, green and brown tiled ground floor facade.
Garage of J.Wine haulage contractors rented garage space
to private buses in the 20s.
Rogers Almshouses three linked late c 19 pairs,
Gresham Almshouses 1882, one-storeyed, with a steeproof with terracotta finials.
Site of garage for private buses in the 1920s, Fleur de
Lys bus 1920s.
St.Paul's Chapel built 1767 ext 1810 rebuilt 1867.
St Andrew, A chapel was built in 1767, extended in 1810,
and remodelled in 1867 by H.E. Coe with Romanesque w end and tower. Vestries
and chapel 1891 and 1894 by A.J. Pilkington. Galleries removed 1924.
two-bay granite trough by the Metropolitan Association.
70 Landor . Huge, vibrant Victorian one-bar pub, with
carved mahogany fittings. engraved mirrors behind the bar, and the unusual
artifacts displayed around the bar. upstairs theatre is in action
London Road/Kings Avenue
Horse trough Met.
Preserves the name of Loughborough
House, marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816, so called because it was the
residence of Henry Hastings, created Lord Loughborough in 1643. The area was
developed as a residential district after the house had been pulled down in
Flats.In 1939 Edward Armstrong designed estate 400
flats in 5 storey slabs for Guinness Trust. Departure from L.C.C type flats. .
Porden Road and Bucknell Road
Some garage for buses in the 1920s Shaw and Berry Garage
now local government offices.
1-5 1825/7 onlyworthwhile
group left elegant villas with Greek Doric doorways.
Congregational church.1828 very charming in its
surroundings., stock brick, with a
little Greek Doric porch
St.Matthew's.Yet another 'Waterloo' church, this one by C.
F. Porden, 1822. An interesting and successful solution to the Church of
England problem of the Georgian period as to how a portico and a tower can be
combined. The church was gutted in 1976, when the first stage
of its conversion into a community meeting place was completed, leaving the
original organ in place in the gallery and a chapel at the end of the ground
floor. There were originally three galleries on piers. many monuments T. Simpson 1835 by Sievier; two heads in medallions.George Brettle 1835 by R. Westmacott. Charles
Kemp 1840 and R. Gibbs by H. Weekes, and some other tablets. The Original organ loft and chapel are still there.
Pulpit and lectern from St.Michael Wood Street in the City.
monument to Richard Budd of Russell Square 1824, by R. Day, solid neo-Greek, in
three stages of decreasing size, the Grecian and Egyptian motifs of Soanian
derivation. Dedicated as a Peace Garden.
House outside was called Church Road and Prince of Wales
garage run by Bull Brothers for private buses. Wilson Optimist bus, The Lea
Clapham north built as 2WW deep shelter. Used by the
public. 1942 underneath underground station to be linked after war to high
speed tube never built. 1 parallel 1,200 tunnels on two floors with iron
bunks.Right angle extensions for first
aid, wardens and ventilation and lavatories below street level so sanitation in
hoppers under the work.
Former brewery of Edmund & Thomas Waltham,1880. Part used as ambulance garage. Corner
Queen's Row dated 1786, a much abused survivor of theusual late Georgian terrace housing.
Trinity Arms. Small local pub. Single-bar
pub, a few yards from Brixton town centre.built in 1850, named after Trinity Asylum which stood in nearby Acre
Lane, and was founded in1824 by Thomas
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by