London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post is not finished and not edted or checked
Route of Surrey Iron Railway
From Summerstown Road follow Garratt Lane
Garratt was the main village in the
manor of Allfarthing. The old hamlet of Garratt. Well
known in the 18th century for its mock elections to appoint a 'Mayor of
Garratt' to protect its rights on the common, came later to be called
Summerstown. Mayor of Garratt was chosen on the basis of physical deformity and
witty speeches. Died out in the 19th.The name masy meran wea5tcvhtower
Railway approach on the new line.22' x
15 1/2' high, tunnel in the railway line just inside the entrance and parallel
to the road - roughly on the crossing of Surrey Iron Railway but too small to
be a Surrey Iron Railway bridge.Flats
538 Leather Bottle, outside farm in 1740 when the commons
were being enclosed, elections with aChairman called The Mayor of Garrett, became famous local event.
Hustings here, lots of deformed candidates In the 18thC the inhabitants of the hamlet of Garratt clubbed together
to employ a solicitor to preventencroachment on their common lands.thus began traditionupon the meeting
of each new parliament; when severalwell-known characters in low-life appeared as candidates,being furnished with fine clothes and gay
equipages forthe occasion, by the
publicans, who made a good harvestof the day's frolic". The custom continued untilthe 1790s, with several later revivals.
646 Prince of
opposite Trewint Street, 1911.Clock
over the street.Mountford 1891.Surrey Iron Railway sleeper block inside and
some rail.Thomas & Dower, 1885
Anderson,House, site of Tooting dust destructor.
Recorded as Garratgreene 1609, Garret Green 1816,
preserving the name of a tenement called le Garret 1538, Ye Garret 1580, from
Old French gorite ‘a watchtower'. There is a mill called Garret Mill by the
River Wandle on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816
Uninspiring bit of grass.The Surrey Iron Railway cut off the corner to meet Garratt Lane.Crossed a field on the east side.
from Wandsworth Common is the Boyne Hill terraces across London clay to
alluvium filled valley of the Wandle.
to middle.Gunpowder mill
Railway crosses it and ran down the west side of Garrett Green.
Garrett Lane now built over
Water gas plant
Elms Works. Stamping works for metal. Then owned by
Welsbach Mantle Co.
straightenedand concreted for flood prevention around
Marks course of
Surrey Iron Railway slip going to oil mill.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by