Upton - Spotted Dog
this post is not finished and not edited or checked
Post to the south Plaistow High Street
St Antony's Schools 1903, a bulky. Board-school type elementary school
Baptist Church 1885. Single-storey hall
Matthison? Manufacturers, built 1926, made of iron,
Baptist Church, 1881-2 by J W Chapman extended 1901.
Sunday school hall to the rear, 1899.
512a Bard Bros Ltd. 1943. Table jelly Manufacturers. Some of the buildings housed the stables of the North Metropolitan Tramuays Co from c. 1896-1908.
St Anthony of Padua. Franciscans, R.C. A church, school, and Franciscan monastery complex founded by Franciscans from Stratford. By Pugin 1884-91.
St.Andrew’s church. 1887 no tower, big early English.
St Angela's Ursuline School. R.C. Convent girls' school founded in 1862, in houses in Upton Lane, by the Ursuline order of nuns. New buildings in the gardens in 1871-2.
St.Anthony’s Catholic club is the rebuilt 18th Red House but largely rebuilt
Upton House, Lister 1827, born there
Hen House, Annie Curwen child pianist
Upton Hall 1731. 15th and 16th in the kitchen beams
Spotted Dog Pub. 16th cottage, One of Henry VIII’s hunting lodges, haunted, 1663 merchants met there during the plague - there used to be a plaque about it. 24 hour license given by Charles II, Old Dog Bar is an ex bakers and has some older features
Mansion House, S.Gurney, banker and philanthropist. Slave abolition centre. 1800 his sister married J.Fry - Elizabeth prison reformer. Lived in Portway until 1829
Stratford School, 1958 by T.E. North, Borough Architect.