This post is not finished. It has not been edited or checked.
‘Hamm’means area of dry land in the marshes. Manor of Hammarsh belonged to Westminster Abbey from as least the Conquest. Developed in the 19th Ynes Burges family who had been land owners for centuries.
Matthews and Noad lead works. They patented another process for making white lead and set up an experimental works in East Ham. This was another wet process in which lead oxide was ground in water before being treated with glycerine and acetic acid for 48 hours. After this it was washed, floated off and submitted to carbonic acid gas. The white lead was ground through rollers.
East Ham Memorial Hospital
Originally the Passmore Edwards cottage hospital. Hospital building is a memorial to the East Ham war dead 1929. In the Shrewsbury Road building because of Lord Bethel’s efforts.
Greenstead filled old Romford Road to the marshes. Greenstreet is still the lane. Historic boundary between East and West Ham
White Hart, interesting skylight dome
Green Street House, became Tudor school, Moated homestead, former industrial schools, long tripartite block of utilitarian character built in 1851 for pauper children
Barclay Hall, friends
Carlton/ABC/ACE. Cinema, opened 1928 in part of poor law school for St,George in the East. mpton 2Manual/8Rank theatre organ, orchestra pit, stage and six dressing rooms. The throw from the projection box to the screen was said to be the longest in Britain then. there were shops located on each side of the main entrance. opened in1928 and In 1935 taken over by Associated British Cinemas. bomb damaged in 1940 and in 1944 and in 1945, a V2 rocket destroyed the facade, the foyer and shops. the cinema then closed, It reopened in with a new facade with flats built on-top in 1953. In 1961 re-named ABC Upton Park and from 1978 it leased to Alternative Cinema Entertainments Ltd. and was re-named ACE. It closed in 1983 and was vandalised, the foyer became a Superfresh supermarket and the auditorium demolished for car parking. . On the outer wings of the facade are the original shop units which survived the war.
Duke of Edinburgh
Boundary to Plashet named after Elizabeth Fry’s daughter began as a pre-suburban route.
Methodist church 1915.
Trebor Ltd. factory Confectionery firm set up at Forest Gate (1907) by A. Robertson and J.B. Woodcock; the present factory was built in the mid-1930's. Trebor make a range of confectioneries boiled sweets, 'chew' sweets, peppermints, bitter lemons, etc.
Monega Schools 1904
The old route to the hamlet of Plashet, whose centre lay near Katherine Road. It still retains an echo of its earlier existence when this was a select area with gentry houses. It is worth a visit for the public buildings which have replaced them
Duke of Fife, c. 1890s by Frederick W.Ashton, s.
Trebor Sweets factory, functional four-storey white-walled buildings of 1931 and 1947 by Higgins & Thomerson, converted in 1999-2001 to live-work units by Stock Woolstencroft Architects. With a new penthouse floor. A tall brick chimney is preserved as a freestanding monument behind.
Burnell Arms marks the corner with Plashet Grove by a late c19 gabled front, not yet with the exuberance of the pubs of c. 1900. Extended by Yens, Sturdy & Usher, 1901.Plashet Park made from the grounds of Wood House
Plashet House, the home of Elizabeth Fry, the prison reformer.
Green Man At the corner of Plashet Grove and Katherine Road. A mid-c19 pub with extension of c. 1900.
Upton Park Picture Palace 1910-1915
Assemblies of God. Built as the Methodists' Elizabeth Fry Memorial Church, 1889 by William Dannell.
East Ham Baptist Church. 1900-1 by Edgar Stones.
Registry Office. Built as East Ham's first purpose-built Library, funded by Passmore Edwards, one of his several involvements in East Ham, through the efforts of J.H. Bethell. 1898-9 by Passmore Edwards's protégé, the Cornish architect Silvanus Trevail. porch with mosaic floor behind is the original screen leading to a hall. . Originally the reference lay to the, now marriage, room with lending library, now subdivided, a committee room. Part of the latter, with -decorative open roof, now forms the registry office, with a new side. The first floor had storage rooms and a librarian's.
Plashet School. For 1400 girls. Footbridge of 2000 by Birds Portchmouth Russum, with Techniker as engineers. It crosses the road supported on single, tapering struts and consists of a snaking ribbon of blue metal with perky fabric roof on hooped trusses. bridge links the buildings of two formerly separate schools; to the Grammar School for Girls, 1932 by Essex County Council, on a courtyard plan the bridge plunges into the first floor of the former secondary modern school. This was planned in 1951 by George Whitby for 680 girls, and built in 1953-4 on a confined site . Cold war air raid shelter below.
Plashet, does not mean ‘water’, it is a reference to part of Epping Forest
Waldstein Hall/Park Cinema/Upton Park Picture Theatre 1913-1929 now Naval Association Hall
Plashet House, 17th century Quaker Fry, 1808-1829 demolished, 1883
St Lazarus And St Andrew (Greek Orthodox). Built as St Michael and All Angels (C of E.), 1910-12 by E. Douglas Hoyland. unusual comnsruction .
Jews Cemetery: straight rows of tombs - forlorn. Opened 1919.
Temple. Shree Kutch Satsung Swaminarian. 2001-3;
Shaftesbury School. 1893 by Robert L.Curtis.
Shrewsbury Centre. A cottage hospital was first suggested as early as 1887. At first conversion Shrewsbury House, an existing building on the site, was proposed, but a new building to the s was made possible through a contribution of £5000 from Passmore Edwards, built 1899-1901, by Silvanus Trevail. Extended in 1926-9 by Mennie Smith with a separate Memorial Hospital wing, which replaced Shrewsbury House.
William Davies School. 1970s with one-storey classrooms clustered around a hall
St Stephen's School. Built 1951,
Built by T.Corbett & Cameron Corbett, conservation area