Gospel Oak to Barking Railway. Manor Park
The line from Gospel Oak to Barking runs eastwards from Wanstead Park Station to Woodgrange Park
The Great Eastern Railway to Ilford runs north eastwards from Forest Gate Station, through Manor Park Station and beyond
1a Elfes Moumental Masons. family run traditional stonemasons. established since 1894.
Housing on the site of Woodgrange Park Goods Depot.
166 Golden Fleece pub
Housing north of Cumberland Road on the site of rail sidings on the London Tilbury and Southend Railway serving Forest Gate goods depot.
Forest Gate Junction
This is where the original London Tilbury and Southend railway of 1854 diverted from the Eastern Coast main line. The Tottenham and Forest Gate Railway – now the Gospel Oak to Barking line crosses it on a viaduct and then merges with it to the south.
Signal Box. This was by the down side of the line west of the Gospel Oak-Barking Line viaduct. It closed in 1996 and was soon after demolished.
Manor House. The house is said to have been built by the Lord of the Manor of West Ham on the Hamfrith estate as the East Ham Burnel Manor House. Apparently no ancient manor-house is known to have existed for West Ham. |At some time before 1848 the then lord, Edward Humphreys, was said to have had, sold ' the Manor House” to the Eastern Counties Railway”. It had been owned by the Railway since 1839, with the Fry family living there as tenants. In 1866, it was sold to the Victoria Land Co. and the grounds built over. The house itself is a 3-storey building been built between 1799 and 1838 but is thought to have had earlier origins. It has a central 19th timber clock and bell turret with a dome but the clock is missing. It is now flats.
St.Nicholas Roman Catholic Industrial Schools. The school had been founded in 1855 by Cardinal Wiseman, in Shernhall Street, Walthamstow and transferred to Manor Park in 1868. It was run by the Sisters of Mercy and set up to receive destitute boys, not convicted of crime, and committed to the School by magistrates. It closed in 1922 and in 1925 the whole of the school site apart from the chapel and the presbytery was bought by the London Co-operative Society. The school buildings were later demolished.
St. Nicholas Church. Built 1869-70 by Gilbert Blount. The church originated as a chapel attached to Roman Catholic industrial schools in the Manor House, established by Cardinal Manning. It was bombed in the Second World War. It is in grey brick and a ‘homely’ interior.
Presbytery, In 1988 the Sisters of the Sacred Heart took up residence here
Co-op Dairy. By the London Co-operative Co. as their principal a milk depot including offices and a bottling plant.
All Saints Church. Built in 1886 by A. W.Blomfield in knapped-flint facing. Inside are a few embellishments - three mosaic panels set in brick recesses and glass presumably by James Powell & Sons of Whitefriars.
This was previously called Red Post Lane
United Methodist Church. A church was opened on the corner with Sandringham road in 1907 and a church in Stratford closed and its work transferred here. It was bombed in 1941. It closed in 1957 and demolished. The site is now flats.
Bristol smelting and Refining works T. Callow & Co. In the 1890s they were on a large site here with the Bristol (or British) Smelting and Refining Works. This may or may not have been T.Callow and Sons, Silversmiths of Park Lane.
St Mark’s church. The church by E.P Loftus Brock, w and a hall added in 1905. by APEC Architects for multi-purpose use. It is small and single storey. The church itself white-walled, with movable furnishings. It includes a stained glass War Memorial window from the old church in 1920 by Herbert Hendne of Lowndes & Drury with a crucifixion and soldier with sword of justice and angels above.
566 Vacant site. This is the site shown as a ‘Recreation Hall’ in 1894. In 1904 it was used as meeting room for Brethren, but also at the same time a venue for boxing matches. Later it was Manor Park Liberal Club. And then JBs Dance Studios. Latterly it was a pub called Kiran Lounge and was demolished sometime after 2008. It was a small gothic building with steps up to an entrance above ground level.
Woodgrange Park station. Opened in 1894 it now lies Between Barking and Wanstead Park stations on the line from Gospel Oak and South Tottenham. Track was laid here in 1854 as part of the first section of the London Tilbury and Southend Railway from Forest Gate Junction on the Eastern Counties Railway to Barking. In 1894 the Tottenham and Forest Gate Railway opened a line to Tottenham from this junction and this station was then opened. The line was electrified here in 1962 as part of the modernisation of the old London Tilbury and Southern Railway although their trains pass through the station and do not stop. The original platform buildings were in brick but demolished in the 1970s. The station ticket office was demolished in the late 1990s and made into a cycle rack. The footbridge was removed in 1994. Staff since operate from a portable office.
Woodgrange Park Goods Depot. This opened in 1895 and was used as a coal depot. It closed in 1964. The site is now housing
Signal Box. This opened in 1894 and was closed in 1996.
540 Woodgrange Park Cemetery. Established 1890 the Cemetery is unconsecrated, privately owned and operated. The owner is a private company, Badgehurst Ltd., based in Essex which took over the cemetery in its current state in 1981. the Woodgrange Estate, was built by Corbett & Son between 1877 and 1892, providing over 1,100 dwellings on the site of Woodgrange Farm. Woodgrange Park Cemetery was established in 1889 by a private cemetery company. Near the entrance is a ruined Gothic chapel with a small tower flanked by the grandest angels and red-granite columns. There is also a War Memorial with cross of sacrifice. The eastern part has been sold off for a private housing development by Badgehurst Ltd. This needed a private Act of Parliament. In the process of site clearance numerous graves and tombs were removed, and remains interred in the Memorial Garden of Remembrance, elsewhere in the cemetery. According to the London Ecology Unit's survey in 1991, it is a haven for wildlife, then having 32 species of birds breeding, as well as amphibians and reptiles. Near the chapel the Muslim Patel Burial Trust maintain a private burial area, fenced off behind green-painted railings and gates.
528 Rising Sun
512a Quakers Place. New housing on the site of the Bard Bros Factory. They made jellied sweets and were eventually taken over by Butterkist
Plashet Hall. This house locally known as Potato Hall was to the east of the junction of Romford Road and Katherine Road. This was a large house with ornamental grounds in occupation by a farming family. By the late 1880s it seems to have been owed by North Metropolitan Tramways.
Tramway Depot. This occupied the yard on the western side of Plashet Hall and was also known as Plashet Hall Works. The depot was used as the eastern end of a tramway line from Stratford on which were run experimentally seven cars of the American Elieson Motor – this was a battery operated vehicle which was charged at the Stratford Works. They were manufactured in this country by the Compton Company. The works was sold in 1893 together with the tram cars and their dynamos.
Animal charcoal works. This was at the top of Katherine Road adjacent to what became the tramway depot on the other corner. It may have been Charles Hart’s knackers’ yard – since the bones processed for the charcoal probably came from slaughtered horses. Animal charcoal was used as a filter particularly in the sugar industry.
392 Temptations. This pub was previously the Waggon and Horses. There is a 'London & Burton Brewery Sparkling Ales' sign outside
Cook’s Bioscope. This small cinema was here before 1910 could not meet the requirements of the 1910, Cinematograph Licencing Act, and was closed.
447-451 Forest Gate Mosque. This is in shop premises. It includes the Imam Zakariyah Academy Primary School, The Bangladesh Muslim Shomity Ltd
370 Former Police Station. This was built in 1888 by John Butler, Metropolitan Police Surveyor. It was funded by the residents of the Woodgrange Estate, after complaints about 'the throwing of bricks and brick bats at the windows of properties careless of the safety off ladies therein'. It is in red brick and now in other use.
Sandringham School. Built in 1895 by Robert L. Curtis. A three-decker board school on a large scale. The roof has a cupola with spike and six ventilating turrets. It was opened as an infants school by East Ham School Board in 1896. In 1921 part of it became a central school. In 1945 it was again reorganized for infants and Secondary (modern) boys. It is now a primary school.
244 Jireh Chapel, this began in 1888, when Mr. Allen began to hold meetings at 133. The chapel was built in 1921 with materials from a chapel demolished at Woburn Sands.
133 Jireh Lodge. In 1888 Mr Allen began to hold meetings in a building here and later moved to the chapel at 244. Jireh Lodge was sold after 1921 and used by the Seventh Day Adventists and later by a builder. It now appears to be a ruin and is apparently fire damaged.
Manor Park Cemetery. Site of the eastern part of the Hamfrith manor - rest of it went for building in 1874. A pprivate cemetery the Company having been managed by the same family since its foundation. the first interment took place in 1875. Chapel of 1877, bombed in 1944 and rebuilt after the crematorium was added in 1955. There are 226 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war and 191 of the 1939-1945 war here. There are also 2 non World War burials. Those whose graves could not be marked on a headstone are named on a Screen Wall memorial. Part of it has been abandoned and become oak woodland and grass with birds.
Shrewsbury Children’s Centre
Manor Park Station. Built in 1872 it lies Between Ilford and Forest Gate on the Great Eastern Main Line and originally intended to be called Little Ilford. It was completely rebuilt when the line was quadrupled in 1894 but it was then bombed in the Second World War. It is intended that this will be a station for the Crossrail service
Co-op Funeral Care
Archway into Comet Close with Co-op plaque
Archaeology Data Service. Web site
British History. Online. Walthamstow. Web site
British History. Online. West Ham. Web site
CAMRA. Real Beer in London
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Connor. Liverpool Street to Ilford.
Connor. St Pancras to Barking
E7 Then and Now. Web site
English Heritage. Web site
East End Pictures,
Epping central walk,
Field. London Place Names
Friends of Woodgrange Park Cemetery. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Manor Park Cemetery. Web site
Nature Conservation in Newham,
Pevsner and Cherry,. Essex.