London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post is not finished and not edted or checked
Joseph Rank, the Yorkshire miller, lived at Bushey Down, on the south side of
Tooting Bee Road, opposite the common, now a mental hospital. He was
instrumental in the founding of the Central Hall at Tooting Broadway,
demolished 1966, to serve the working classes of the area. He is buried at
Sutton cemetery, at the northern end of the Sutton bypass (A217).
Tooting Bec Hospital
transferred from Metropolitan Asylums Board to London County Council. Built as
Tooting Bec Asylum, before 1916. Forbidding brick blocks; good iron railings
with Art Nouveau touches
Developed by Alfred Heaver as part of estate
Part of Heaver’s Trinity Road estate
Springfield Hospital. Built as the Surrey County Lunatic Asylum in 1840 built by
E.Lapidge and W.Moseley. It had 360 beds for each sex.General Hospital 11 years with 900 patients
but 100 more women than men.In 1879 a
new recreation hall was built .Following the Local Government Act 1888 it went to Middlesex County
Council and an annexe for 250 ‘low grade mental defectives’ as built for 80
children and 80 adults.In the First
World War it housed an army neurological unit and by 1939 it had 2,000 patients.
It had145 acres, with83 acres of farmland and 14 acre garden.Steam engines supplied by Maudslay in 1840
and they worked until 1949 and are now in the science museum.
Computer Centre in
the grounds by Andrews, Sherlock & Partners, 1979.
Streatham Cemetery.. portes clocheres, vestigial transepts, rest is very dismal, jumble,
unexploded bomb. Stone lodges and two chapels by W.
Newton Dunn, Gothic, opened 1893
There are two
parts of Tooting: Upper Tooting or Tooting Bec; and Lower Tooting or Tooting
Graveney. Bell Tota and his people lived there. In the Domesday Book Tooting
appears as held by the Abbey of Bec in Normandy; hence the name Tooting Bec. It
was part of the manor of Streatham, and so belonged to
the Howlands in the c17, to the Dukes of Bedford in the c18. Tooting parish
church is at Tooting Graveney, which derives its name from the Graveney family
which held the manor from Chertsey Abbey in the c12 and c13. In the c17 it
belonged to the Maynards. In 1871 Thorne described this area as 'a region of villas
and nursery gardens . . . very pleasant and apart from the common, very
commonplace'. It remained quite distinct from Upper Tooting until the later
c19, when the open land in between was filled up by houses and hospitals and
cemeteries. The main centre of Lower Tooting is now at Tooting Broadway
Station, away from the old church, south of Tooting Bee Common is the area
called Streatham Park, the site of Streatham Place, the house of the Thrales
frequented by Dr Johnson.
Tooting Bec station. 13th September 1926.
Between Balham and Tooting Broadway on the Northern Line.Built by the City and South London Railway in
the house style of the line which was extended from Moorgate following
rebuilding and extension to Camden Town and South Wimbledon.designed by S A. Heaps, who was
probably responsible for much of the interior detail, and Charles Holden. A satellite building on the east side of
the junction provides a subway access and has a large glazed roundel the panels
of its glazed screen- other stations
have only a centre roundel, for a long time it was the only example of the
lettering. The station was originally called
‘Trinity Road’ and in 1950 it was renamed ‘Tooting Bec’.
Developed 1871 by Alfred Heaver on Wandsworth Lodge
Estate. Red brick ornate railings
172 Arundel Terrace, Plaque to Thomas Hardy who lived here in the early 1880s. It says
'poet and novelist lived here 1878-1881'. Hardy took this house on a three year
lease; but didn't enjoy his stay but he wrote, in November 1878, "The Return of
the Native". Hardy wasn't well in the winter of 1880, he was bedridden for many weeks
and it wasn't until the following Spring that he was able to walk on Wandsworth
Common. Plaque erected 1940.
Holy Trinity At
an angle to the road. The original building 1854-5 by Salville tower 1860 by Ferrey, who
also added the transept and widened the aisle in 1889. The
aisle, widened in 1893, was divided off as a church hall in 1976.
1907. One of the L.C.C. Fire Brigade Departments free, asymmetrical stone and
Fine police station 1890
68-72King's Head a proper drinking place bar
divisions are important
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis