London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post is not finished and not edited or checked
postwar complex covers a vast area. The original hospital was opened in 1917 in
the old mansion
of Frognal, and this
was followed by a series of temporary buildings further east on what is now
waste land. The new hospital was officially opened to the west of Frognal in
1974. An impressive group, the product
of a programme of reconstruction from the 1960s.
MaternityWing, a functional building of 1966, by C. F. Scott, Regional
Architect E.J. Wilson, project architect.
Nurses’ homes mainly completed 1965. Steps
gently down the hill, in series of linked pavilions, and at the end in
flat-roofed blocks. By W. H. Watkins, Gray & Partners.
Casualty Wing and Main Block.1969-74,
forming the main range towards Frognal Avenue.
Frognal Centre, in the same style
as the Main Block.
Frognal House. This
is a large square house, 18th in appearance, but certainly not in
origin. large, roughly square, with a central courtyard. Its present appearance is predominantly of c1670, incorporates timber-framed structure of the 15th and 16th centuries,
and the stone foundations are in part 16th century. In 1980 it was discovered that it incorporated a c15
timber-framed building of two-bay hall and storeyed wing to which a framed wing
was added in the c16 - this timberwork is no longer visible. There was a house on the site at least by the 13th century. It was acquired by Sir Philip Warwick in the
16th century, and the present main facades were built by his heirs. In 1752 it
was purchased by Thomas Townshend, who became Lord Sydney and gave his name to
the first European settlement in Australia, and it remained in the Sydney family until 1915.
Frognal was then acquired by the War Office to become a hospital, and it later became
a nurses' home. then office accommodation within the Queen Mary's Hospital complex off Watery Lane. In
1980, some years after the new Queen Mary's Hospital had been completed, it was
sold. Walls, gate piers and gates, and garden
walls to north are listed grade II.
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis