London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post is not finished and not edted or checked
Immanuel Parish Schools by G. G.Scott, 1861, extended by
George & Peto, 1874.
5 Two halfoil jars on frontage, sign of oil and colour man.
Factory premises of Small Electrical Motors Ltd. old laundry and
St.Andrew, 1885-6 by George & Peto. Ernest George
lived near Streatham Common, and his firm, well known for their Dutch domestic
architecture, did much work in this area.
Vicarage next door, 1886 by George & Peto. Good
Church Hall, 1898 by George & Yeates.
Lime Common, is
the top bit, Beam for Queen `Victoria's Jubilee, cricket green is preserved in
the Commons Act
The Rookery. the
bestformal garden in Lambeth. This is
thesite of an early spa. The well head
is now in a walled Old English garden with white flowors – called The White
Garden with a sundial. this is the site of one of the threeoriginal wells of Streatham Spa dating from
1659. workmen in 1660 had their homes stuck in the middle. The brightyellow monkey flower is very colourful
alongside the stream in summer and anumber of ferns such as soft shield-fernand male fern can be found here too. magnificent cedar ofLebanon. There's also awalled English
Garden with fragrant planting; a secluded rock garden and stream; a small
yew-hedged pond garden and wisteria-clad pergola; shrubbery-lined paths and
Further down the hill is a quiet orchard.
South Side home
Transferred from Metropolitan Asylums Board to London County Council, LCC
In the 17th went from being a small scattered
village to a popular residential area following the discovery of the spa well
marked on the Ordnance Survey map of
1816.and there was a fashionable spa
near here during the 18th century, based on a medicinal spring discovered in
1659 and still marked Wells on the 1816 map.
alongside the road. This is the area of relic acid grassland onStreatham Common. Thelarge anthills of the
yellow meadow ant , which are
present in the grass, are a goodindication that this grassland has been littledisturbed in the past
behind it is Factory Square. Has been India rubber firm since 1838, built as
Dak.1885, chimney, Sainsburys purchased
land occupied by the Cow Industrial Polymers
India RubberWorksof P. B.
Cow of Cow Gum. The handsome chimneyadded to
the works in 1885 may also be by George Peto. Cow
Industrial Polymers P.B.Cow, 1857.
Sainsburys - Silk Mill.the Mill building is
incorporated into Sainsbury's, providing offices and refreshment facilities. The
mill was ercrcted in 1820 by Stephen Wilson, a silk manufacturpr, whose family
lived almost opposite, but with long connections with the Spiralfields
industry. Although importing both French personnel and new Jacquard techniques, Wilson is thought
to have found his new green-field-site cheaper to operate. It is a complete, purpose-built three storey Georgian silk mill, of
pleasant proportions and appearance, complete with a cupola, which was probably
the first UK location to use Jacquard-style looms. Became Cow industrial Polymers
386 1932 Ice Rink. 1927 Baths next door.
496 Beehive Coffee House and Working
Men's Lodgings; a QueenAnne front of 1878-9
by George & Peto. It was intendedbenefit
the workers of the neighbouring India RubberWorks
Martyrs, built by P.B.Cow
Emmanuel Church. A rebuilding and enlargement
of 1864-5 by B. Ferrey of a church built in 1854 by A. Ross. Kentish rag.
Tower. Stained glass Windows by Lovers & Barraud commemorating the chief donors, the Leaf family
of Park Hill, Streatham Common..
Department, 1968-9, of houses on decks overgarages
498 Pied Bull.Near the common, The island bar serves four
distinct areas. There are comfortable - sofas and upholstered chairs; prints adorn every wall. The garden is
668 Sussex Tavern
meeting house in last century of gypsies
522 Garage. A semi-deserted- looking garage is
home to the spooks' special motor pool. The cars and vans that come and go from
here don't always leave in the same colours or with the same registration
plates they had when they entered. This is where SIS built false bottoms into
the van that smuggled Oleg Gordievsky out of the USSR
The common used to comprise an area of rough open land.
The trees surrounding the lower slope, and the "ancient" wooded area
at the top of the common, are comparatively modern developments being -the
result of landscaping undertaken by the Metropolitan Board of Works when they
took over responsibility in 1888. I can only assume that in the late 15th
century the common was denuded of bracken and furze as a result of which
"thorns" required to construct the pound had to be brought from
Pollards Hill. The pound was situated in the manor of South or Lower Streatham,
the common land of which was the present-day Streatham Common. The manor of
Streatham was combined with that of Tooting Bee and its common land was Tooting
Bee Common. At one time there were two pounds on Streatham Common, one was
situated opposite Greyhound Lane and the other halfway between the lower pond
and Streatham Common South, the latter being clearly marked on the Ordnance
Survey map dating from the mid-1860s and believed to be the site of the ancient
pound of the manor.
movement like Tooting.Sold commoners
rights.Commoners burnt the fences and
the gorse.Six mysterious men cut
enclosure fences for grazing.Well
discovered by ploughman in hot and sulphurous.So, Streatham Well House.Common
sold by ecclesiastical commissioners to Metropolitan Board of Works for £5
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n