London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post has not been edited or checked
gone.Lot of amenity trees, 1935
Top of was the 90th
milestone from London.
Steel houses erected in
1920s by London County Council Occupation in three weeks from start of building
Hotel.Built 1767, rebuilt 1801.Was home of Lord and Lady Farnborough with
elaborate garden and waterfalls to the river.sold in 1881.The origin of the house is a
villa built in 1767, rebuilt, andremodelled c. 1801-11
by Charles Long, later Baron Farnborough.Large and rambling, with many additions. built 1760s on the site of a farmhouse.1801 bought by Charles Long who became Baron
Farnborough. Italianate mansion. In 1881 bought by Samuel Cawston for
development. Now the Bromley Court Hotel having been a hospital for Canadian
soldiers in First World War Canadian Convalescent Hospital
(Bromley Park Hotel)(20 April 1915 ? 31 August 1918) (This was the first
Canadian Convalescent Hospital in the Country
School board offices porch
way.1874 demolished in 1929
Italian Villa. Lady
Farnborough is said to have built an Italian garden at Bromley Hill House.A pond was added to this which is in this
House built in1930 by Alexander Jones.Lady Farnboroughs
pond was there.
Self build housing over the
area of the pond.
23 The Cottage pump in the
front garden by Appleby and Co., Renishaw Works, Chesterfield.served buildings
ofBromley Hill House.
a stumpy metal post lurks beside an overgrown fence. It
was put there to mark both the millennium and the meridian,
and still presents two mirrored faces to west and east
3-5 was the stables.Hillbrow.
22 1879 Holmescroft Newton.
22 The Oriels
1879 Holmescroft Newton
1929 old house Hawthorn
Cottage in the corner although houses in the area.
Kinnard Park Estate
1910 source of Blackheath
gravel beds also sand in the subsoil.
Boundary of Plaistow Lodge
Estate.The lodge is now a school.It was called Boyd’s Lane from the
tenant.Narrow with elm trees.
Ex servicemen's club;
Plaistow and Southend in
1261 part of Manor of Shrafholt.
Beckenham Cemetery.1877 by Gear
Truefitt.The complete range of ragstone
chapels, lodges and mortuary survive and
three-arched Porte clochere, arch span in housing.T.Lyle.
Homeopathic hospital of
Phillips memorial hospital; opposite bits lady Margaret hospital
Entrance gates to two
Land from Bromley Hill to
Ravensbourne Station was part of grounds of Bromley Hill House
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by