London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post is not finished and not edted or checked
Name derived from
Joyce Green Farm, which used to occupy the site. First mentioned in documents
dating from 1690, but is no conclusive evidence that the name referred either
to a place or to a person.
Circular track for biplane experiments in 1910 by Maxim.
Site of Joyce Green Aerodrome where Vickers tested from 1911 until the First
World War. . Vickers Rep Monoplane in 1911. Flown to Brooklands from Joyce
Green site. Theydeveloped 28 models
there,including the famous VickersVimy bomber that made thevery first crossing of theAtlantic in 1919. Then 10
Reserve Squadron of Royal Flying Corps (RFC) took overthe
northern end of the site in1914. Flying FE 8s from it. The existing
facilitiesmade it attractive but
therewere other drawbacks."To use this waterlogged fieldfor testing (and in emergencies)every now and then wasreasonable...
but to employ it...as a Camel (i.e.
Sopwith Camelaeroplane) training
station waslunacy. A pupil taking
off witha ...failing engine had
tochoose, according to winddirection, between drowning inthe Thames (half a mile wide atthis point) or crashing into theVickers TNT (explosives)Works;
or hitting one of theseveral high chimney
stacks; orsinking into a vast
sewage farm;or killing himself and
numerouspatients in a large
isolationhospital; or being
electrocutedin an electrical
station withacres of pylons and
cables; ortrying to turn and get
back tothe aerodrome.
Unfortunately,many pupils confronted
withdisaster tried the last
course andspun to their
deaths."Air Vice Marshal
Gould-LeeThe RFC left in 1919
but theother occupants the
AirMarshal mentions stayed on. The Site was later used for testing aircraft built at Erith and Crayford.
Seaplane tested on the Darenth and crashed. Site used to build First World War
aviation wireless sets by Royal Engineers and moved following a row. The RFC station was briefly commanded by
Lieutenant James McCudden, a colossal hero of humble origins who won the Croix
de Guerre in January 1916, the Victoria Cross in April 1918 and, in between,
the Military Medal, Military Cross and Bar and Distinguished Service Order and
Bar. He destroyed fifty-four German air- craft yet died in an accident as the
war drew to an end.
Aviation still continues on the Marsh
for a group of enthusiasts come here to fly radio-controlled model aircraft.
Joyce Green Hospital.600 beds transferred from Metropolitan Asylums
Board to London County Council took over much of the work of Dartford's general hospital,
which closed down in the 1960s.
Pathway through the salt marsh. Cobbled road underneath
the mud. Canals draining everywhere. Site of gibbet
Unwin's Pyrotechnics Factory. Tin shacks. Explosives Act
notices. Explosives industry generally moved after the 1953 floods. Dispersed buildings. Fireworks on the Thames
to celebrate the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977 and in Hyde Park on Prince
Charles' wedding eve in 1981, as well as for our own Guy Fawkes fun, have been
Orchard Hospital Transferred from Metropolitan Asylums
Board to London County Council
Name from Joyce Green Farm, 1690 or a 13th centuryman,
Joceus de Marisco, Joceusof the marsh
1953 Floods flooded to around 8ft.
Abounding in bird life, the Marsh is
also farmed with arable crops and two hundred and fifty head of cows.
A more primitive yet still
unsurpassed form of flying is manifested by the varied bird life here.
Countless larks trill and hover in summer, whilst in grey winter wildfowlers
take their toll of ducks. One may see heron, mute swan, mallard, shelduck,
buzzard, partridge, moorhen, lapwing, ringed plover, snipe, redshank, little
owl, swift, swallow, meadow pipit, yellow wagtail, magpie and reed bunting
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o