London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post has not been edited, checked or finished
Baptist missionary hall built by the Queen Street Baptist
Church in 1919.
Housing development of the early 1960s with 265 homes in a
mix of maisonettes and tower blocks.
Housing built by Crayford Council after the Second World
War. 170 semi detached houses using prefabricated units on the Easiform system
with concrete panelled cavity walls. Quick, cheap but with modern fittings.
30 Denehole recorded 1951
28 another denehole
work in 1985 by London Borough of Bexley for additional tower blocks mines were
found.. The site was in the 19th part of a major brick-making
industry supplying London Stock Facings and it is possible to trace the
depressions and quarry edges left by brick makers.it was often thepractice to dig extensive mines for chalk,
which wasaddedtothebrickslurrytoproduce the characteristic yellow
colour. Test bores found 24 holes to cavities in the sand and gravel overlying
the chalk.17 more test bores near a
block of 5, entered cavities either in the chalk or the overlying gravel.A television camera was lowered and pictures
showed that the block was being built on top of an old chalk mine. The 1897
O.S. map of the area shows an active clay pit on the site and an engine house
with a rail track which branches and terminates at the base of a quarry, the
westernmost of these lines led into a drift entrance into the mine.
Name first noted in 1760.
Northend Trading Estate
Dominated by the building trades.
56 Chalk well in the garden
Stonham Brickworks. Flint-knapping floor.
One of these caves had passages.Some
have fallen in and others have been excavated away.These caves formed part of a series, the sites of some
of which can be detected in some of the orchards near, and one has been worked
for chalk up to within the last fifty years, presenting a very interesting
labyrinth of modern galleries, which have united several old shafts at once.
The great chalk pit was originally a
denehole in my recollection.The modern
works are for brick-making purposes. It is depicted as a circular excavation
some 100 ft. in diameter and 49 ft. deep to the west of Maiden Lane.A single track railway is shown running from the
adjoining brick-yard, under the road and into the pit.It goes right up to the wall of the pit and
therefore might have continued into the entrance of a mine.The brickfield and quarry are gone; instead
there is a steep chalk scarp about a quarter of a mile long.Much of the surrounding land has been worked
for gravel also by Stonehams.It does
appear however that the piece of
land containing the shaft has been left as a raised knoll above the gravel
Denehole. A beautifully preserved Sarnian ware bowl from
this hole. There were two pits consisting of shafts leading to beehive-shaped
chambers.Dimensions given for one pit
are: 25 ft. 6ins. deep with the last 17 ft. 6 ins. in chalk, the pit containing
a 6 ft. pile of sandy soil which yielded a quantity of Roman pottery, including
the bowl.The holes have since been
Slade Green Road
North end crossing. To the west of the
church is the old crossing, is now closed.
Corner Pin pub.
Tacky attempt to bring glamour to the area.
1 Britannia Pub
Sports stadium stages athletic meetings up to county standard.
The Caves. A radio bulletin on
7.3.1972 said "the hillside is riddled with hundreds of yards of passages
and was used as an air raid shelter during the war."Local children knew it as "The Caves".
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by