Welling

  This post has not been edited, checked or finished


Bellegrove Road

Beyond Shooter's Hill we come to Welling, which with Bexley Heath EXtends for the next two miles along the Dover Road. Here the latter is too narrow for traffic requirements. It is being considerably widened in places, and unsightly rows of mean houses have lately been pulled down and replaced with new blocks of shops. The removal of the tramways in 1935 in favour of the more up-to-date trolley buses has further eased the traffic congestion at Bexley Heath. T

In the early 1930s the Bellegrove Park Building late was developed to the configuration of Bellegrove Park, a small country seat on the southern side of the Road.

Moon and Sixpence

124 Station Hotel

143 Plough and Harrow

310 We Anchor in Hope

Granada Cinema.  Built 1938 and designed by George Coles. Venetian Gothic interior plus a large central lighting electrolier.  The three rank Wurlitzer is now at Woking.  Triple screen eventually. Closed 1983 and demolished 1985.

Dansington Road

estates on a much smaller scale and the houses generally of a higher class such as on

Danson Junior School 1933

Danson Lane

St.John the Evangelist The parish church built in 1926, though the first Anglican church in Welling, an iron building, was put up in 1869 by Alfred Bean, of Danson Park.

Danson farm, Demolished in 1930. at the junction of Danson and Bean Roads

Faraday Road

High Street

Watling Street

Russian Gun,

17/35,

15 Rose and Crown. The pub name symbolises the union of York and Lancaster in the marriage of Henry VI  and Elizabeth of York. 

37 Old Nags Head, fake beams

21b blacksmiths forge,

23/25,

31/35,

Library

St.Stephen

Guy, Earl of Warwick. Watling Street bends slightly northward outside it.

Kelvin Road

Congregational Chapel,

Latham Road

estates on a much smaller scale and the houses generally of a higher class such as on

Park View Road

Guy Earl of Warwick pub

110 Watkins and Doncaster

Roseacre Road

St.John. 1925. by Evelyn Hellicar. Brown brick,

Welling

Developed by Danson Park owner Alfred Bean from 1881. bean died in 1890 but the estate was not subvided until his widow died 30 years later.

Wrotham Road?

Lord Kitchener pub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone