London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post has not been checked or edited
24 Fire mark over the door.
Grove House day nursery 19th
Sycamore and Ivy Cottages
Eight Feathers Club 1845 tower etc
Lodge Pretty tilehung and half
Castle Club.Built as a school by Horace Francis, 1854-5,
quite a pretty symmetrical Tudor brick and stone composition with two stepped gables, a
hefty central tower, and picturesquely grouped chimneys.
Streets of predominantly late
Victorian and Edwardian, with a few scattered stuccoed villas of the early c19
Arms.Confident Victorian Italianate
comes as welcome relief.
75 house with wide facade
Eel Brook Common
Eel Brook. Named
from ‘Hillebrook’ 1408, ‘Hellebrook’ 1444, ‘Helbroke’ 1554, ‘Eelbrook’ 1820,
that is ‘’-brook by a hill', from Old English ‘hyll’ here used of only a slight
elevation in an otherwise flat terrain and ‘broc’. The later development is the
result of folk etymology. Means Hillbrook running down a slope. Once land with
local rights for pasture. 14 acres from old Eel Brook which was on the west
boundary of the common. Legal case in 1878 but in the end the Metropolitan
Board of Works took it over. Tributary going to Counters Creek at Stamford
Bridge Much larger than today. Bit facing Crondace Road was called Fulham
Common and enclosed by ecclesiastical commissioners 1878. Commons rights and
protests. Managed by LCC.
113-121, 99-107, 71-77 with a few more late
Georgian pairs and terraces
Elm House and Duffield House.
Harwood Road school 1873 one of the early schools.
Janet Street-Porter’s childhood home.
Built to join Sands End Lane and Imperial Road
396 Marist convent school l840s.
Granville Theatre of Varieties
Built by the Imperial Gas Co as an substitute for the
closed up Sands End Lane
A delightful enclave of simple c19
cottage terraces with generous front gardens, built for workers in the Imperial Gas Company
nearby.The hard landscaping and the
appropriate reproduction gas lamps date from the 1980s.Gas workers probably
Germans brought in to stop labour troubles.
Victorian gas holder
Elizabeth Barnes Court sheltered
housing, a friendly sequence of broad tile-hung gables with inset balconies.
The poorly detailed low-rent housing
of the 1980s is in sad contrast.By
Robert Patterson of Romuiu Construction, is perhaps better than the rest.
Gas Council Research Station white tiles Civic Trust award
New Kings Road
M/e just a lane no name.
North side of Draycott Lodge home of Holman Hunt called a
Cross was the Peterborough Hotel of 1892 grander, but in the same style as the
71-77 red brick 19c
Parsons Green Named ‘Personesgrene’
1391,’ Person grene’ 1457, ‘Personnesgrene’ 1534, that is 'village green where
the Parson lives, or by the parsonage', from Middle English ‘persone’ and
‘grene’. This hamlet developed around the parsonage of Fulham which stood to
the west of the Green and was demolished in 1882. There was still a large pond
on the Green until the 19th century, and annual fairs were held here until the
1820s. Managed by LCC
237- 245, a terrace of three-bay
houses dated 1795, is unusual in having centrally placed doorways.
247, three storeys and basement with
a later top storey and lower wings; good fanlight.
Pond was called Colepitts and drained
at the end of the 19th
Lady Margaret School. A girls' school established in 1917. Iron Age settlement found in the
Belfield House has an early c 18
front of five bays, with the two outer windows in slightly projecting
wings.Handsomely detailed, with red
brick used for quoins and window heads, and stone keystones.Restored by the artist Theodore Roussel in 1890.Interior much altered.Fine staircase and fireplaces removed when
converted for the school in 1917.
Elm House.Adjoining of c.1800, recorded as a school
already in 1803, became part of the present one in 1937.Five bays, with recessed windows with mask
keystones, and tripartite doorway in rusticated surround.Entrance hall with simple cantilevered stair
curving up over the doorway; the room behind on a generous scale, with
bow-window to the garden.The room
above, also with a bow, is now the Chapel central window with painted glass by
Sasha Ward, 1987: Tree of Life, birds in a trellis pattern.Good original cornices in both rooms.
Henniker House. Plain Italianate of c. 1841 much altered.Back wings for the school, plain
well-detailed brick ranges, from 1962.Hall completed 1965, by Seely & Paget.
1-3 White Horse pub. Late 19th pub near the apex of the green. It is red terracotta with tall gable and a
motif of a horse under a canopy. It was rebuilt in 1881 after a disastrous fire
destroyed the original pub, which dated back to 1778.It is a mecca for beer enthusiasts with
regular beer festivals and a lot of beers from Belgium, Germany and the USA. It
is also popular with people who have given it the name of the 'Sloany Pony'. It
has bench-seating and a restaurant, which was converted, from a coach
house.It was once the meeting place for
an early cricket team – The Albion Cricket Club
Church Hall 1876 by Arthur Billing
Rectory with Gothic doorway and a
little tile-hanging.Humble cottagey
terraces of c. 1840 much gentrified.
Duke of Cumberland. Refurbished with an
interesting history. Large Victorian
pub named after Prince Ernest Augustus, 1771-1851. It overlooks Parsons
Green and has undergone many
alterations. The main bar area has a splendid tiled wall with figurines
harvesting grapes, the long bar leads to a snug room where a quiet drink can be
enjoyed and there is a raised seating area with a real log fire for cold winter
nights. The pub attracts a mixed clientele of locals and people from the
Rebuilt 1886. Odd font from Wren St.Dioynsus Backchurch and pulpit too. Plate.
Built with money from the sale of the City church. Stands on the site of the
Rectory which gave the area its name,
SE corner had pond from l559.
Fulham House in this area. Home of Lord Stourton and
Parsons Green Lane
Name of hamlet land of parsonage at Fulham 1391
Personesgrove. Now a little bit of green left. Parsongate there 1391-1982.
Parsons Green Station. 1st March 1880.Between Fulham Broadway and Putney Bridge on the District Line to
Wimbledon.On the Metropolitan District
Railway, Fulham extension railway. A modest version of Putney Bridge Station.
In 1870s there were wooden platforms and door in the arch over the road. Tower
with windows and ivy. Built to avoid houses and stick to garden areas.
'Fine new block of artisan flats'
24 Swan over the porch
LPTB works. Unexploded bomb
major c17 gentleman’s retreat and mansion rebuilt in the late c18 and
demolished c. 1900.
On the Peterborough Estate a
remarkably coherent grid of streets was developed from the 1890s by the local
builder J. Nichols between Peterborough Road, Wandsworth Bridge Road, and
Studdridge Street. Much terracotta trim originally buff, but mostly now painted
white. The shared gables decorated with heraldic lions are the distinctive
the Peterloo estate name of east of Peterborough. Demolished 1708 and again
Sandford Manor.Hidden amidst the 1980s closes, the one older
survival. Despite its c19 roughcast and parapet, essentially a mid c17 house, a
rare survival in the inner suburbs. After long neglect, restored and converted
to offices in 1987-9 by Romulus Construction Ltd. It is a lesser version of the new
type of progressive, compact brick mansion built at this time in the
countryside around London. Until the 1840s, when it was divided into two
dwellings for gas employees, it had a front with three shaped gables. 2-1-2
windows, their heavy brick mid c17 surrounds still evident beneath the render,
as is the moulded brick stringcourse. Flank walls with three plain gables. The
plan is now a roughly rectangular double pile; there was originally a back
courtyard between two wings filled in in the c 19. The wings are at different
levels because of a cellar below the room. Front range with central entrance
hall flanked by a larger room on each side, each with a hefty chimneystack also
serving the room behind. The hall - an entrance hall only, not a hall of the
old type - also contains the staircase; a typical mid c17 example, with small
well, closed string, turned balusters, and newels with simple balls and
pendants. It continues up to the attic floor. Restored with honey-coloured
paint and graining; the hall panelling treated likewise. In the wing,
first-floor room with restored panelling medium-size panels; in the room above,
remains of c 17 black and red painting of a vase of flowers in the fireplace
reveal. The restoration is a good example of the 'conserve as found' philosophy
of the 1980s.The later phases of the
building's history have not been removed. Walnut trees,
stairs and gates. Nell Gwyn
Victorian pillar box
Where New Kings Road becomes Kings
Road, is Chelsea-over-the-border, with a surfeit of antique shops.Much rebuilding of the 1980s in a welter of
Southpark land of south field farm or broom farm bought
for the borough in 1903
Imperial Gas Works. Fulham Works. Imperial Gas Co from 1824 – 1876 on the site of Sandford Manor
House. Oldest gas holder is not visible from the outside. 1871 spiral type.
Wharf on Thames 1926. Second oldest gas works and third largest in North Thames
Gas Board. Clegg built the Imperial works in 1824. In 1827 2 more holders added
and in 1829 the Dutton Street plant was added to make gas. Retort houses date
from 1838, 1842, l856, 1864 & 1865. Was making 9 mcf a day by 1900. Always
of very advanced design. Had the Largest gas holders for many years - the Guide
framing was remarkable. ‘Sultan’ following visit by Nased el Din who said Murdoch
was God of Light. CWG etc etc. The Kensington Canal was used after 1862 with
docks to the canal and in 1926 sea going colliers were unloaded from the river
using a Hand conveyor to works. In 1891 mechanical coal storage plant
installed. In 1879 complaints about lime meant they used barges with canvas
covers. Special gas 1908-17 for balloons and war training which was sent to
Hurlingham by a special main. Mantle burning factory in 19l6. In 1911 became
the first GLCC motor depot and in 1920 it was a Benzole motor spirit station.
Research Laboratory set up in 1927. By the 1970s it was a Gasholder station
with 2 holders. After closure car breakers were on much of the site and it was
eventually bought by property developers St.George. Features in film 'Sweeney!’, ‘Eye of the Needle’,
Sands End Lane
Closed by the gas company. Had been important thoroughfare
‘Stamfordbregge’ 1449, ‘Stamfordbregge’ 1456, named from ‘Sandford’ 1236, and
1340, ‘the sandy ford', from Old English ‘sand’ and ‘ford’ with the later
addition of ‘brycg’.
by tributary from Eel Brook Common The line of West London Railway follows it
and it was the eastern boundary of Fulham.
Ford.The original ford over Counters Creek was superseded
by a bridge carrying the main road
Built by the Bishop of London in 1410 for the road from London to his Fulham
Market gardens. Farm in 1905
Chelsea Football Club. East Stand Like an enormous claw.
Feeling of strength quality of joinery very sophisticated. Very famous
ground.Embankments made of spoil from
Last place name showing this old town meadows t is the
northern edge of the
Between Chelsea Dock and Broomhouse Dock big hay producing
area. Was a curious medley of
down-at-heel depots and derelict utilities, building sites for smart new flats,
strings of little two-storey Victorian houses barely touched by gentrification?
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n