this post is not finished and not edted or checked
an amazing survival of small cottages with the most colourful front gardens, reminiscent of a country village.
King of Sardinia with "barley sugar" chimney pots
Moorish Lane corner site of Brixis Stane This is where the Hundred of Brixton met wasteland in 19th. ‘Brixiges stan’ 1062 in an Anglo-Saxon charter, ‘Brixiestan’ 1086 in the Domesday Book, ‘Brixistane’ 1279, ‘Bryxston’ c.1530, that is 'stone of a man called Beorhtsige', from an Old English personal name and Old English ‘stan’. Brixistan’ which means ‘stone of the Brixi’ who were the local administrators. ‘Brixi’ is short for ‘Beorhsige’ which means ‘bright victory’. Possibly a 'boundary stone', but since this place gave its name to one of the ancient hundreds of Surrey, the 'stone' may well have been one marking the meeting place of the hundred. Brixton Common was on Brixton Hill and was enclosed in 1810. ’Brixges'. Became a market gardening area.
Street with church 1836 place 'easily discernible' oddities from 1900, pulpit from the city church.
Christ Church 1840-2 by James Wild,
Christ Church schools
Criffel Avenue also dates from the same year and is named after a hill and prominent landmark 3 miles south of New Abbey in Dumfries and Galloway, also a part of the Stewert estate,.
41 was purchased by a bridge-building engineer William Newton Bakewell who worked on the building of the Forth Bridge, remaining there until his death in 1913.
Tilson Gardens,. examplesof changing fashions:, neo-Georgian blocks of 1929- 36 of typical L.C.C. type
Henry Crompton School . Good example of T. J. Bailey's mature three-decker board schools with jolly Jacobean skyline. 1898.
New Park Road
138, a villa of 1835 in the cottage orne tradition, with bargeboarded gable and battlemented porch.
Piecemeal local authority redevelopment began between the wars and still continues
Streatham High Road
Telford Avenue Mansions in Telford Avenue dates from circa 1935 and has many similarities with Telford Parade Mansions next door -
Telford Parade Mansions is a development of purpose built flats with shops at street level which dates from 1935.
Telford Court of 1931 was designed by Frank Harrington in 1931.
Wyatt Park Mansions was designed by H. J. S. Abrams and Sons of Buckingham Street, WC1.
triangular piece of land to be included in the Conservation Area. This area includes an access route, car parking and communal gardens with a number of large mature trees.
Streatham Hill Theatre (now the Mayfair Bingo Hall)when it opened in 1929, one of the largest outside the West End of London. The giant auditorium had a capacity in excess of 2,500 seats. The architects were William George Robert Sprague and William Henry Barton whose design is in a late Edwardian classical style. In its heyday the Streatham Hill Theatre was a number one touring theatre and also put on opera, ballet, musicals, variety and pantomime. . The Theatre closed its doors in 1962 and has now been converted into a bingo hall and social club but entrance hall in the Adam style has been retained and maintained in its original form.