London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post is not finished and not edited or checked
One of the earliest roads
developed in the area with cottages for tradesmen.
The northern arm of this road, with its avenue of plane
trees, has on both sides a complete series of imposing though rather sombre
The Red Lodge.A red brick building, probably c1896, which was
a lodge for Sidcup Place; it is now becoming derelict. It has distinct architectural similarities with the
north front of Sidcup Place.
'Anonymous' pillar box, ie without a royal cypher, a relatively rare type, c1880.
St.John the Evangelist.1899-1901 .The first
parish church of Sidcup, rebuilt in its present form between 1882 and 1899. a
large, imposing building in the
Early English style, with a fine oak pulpit made in the 17th
century. Ion the south wall is a
stone recording the laying of the foundations of the first church in 1841 which
was completed in 1844 and later became Sidcup Parish Church. columns from the
outside arcade of thisfirst church were
incorporated in shops at Station Road. The present church was completed in
1901, retaining the chancel, Lady Chapel and churchyard wall from the second
many tombs and monuments, but note in particular, towards the rear on the
right, the curious bronze cross to Mary Sheffield 1899, conspicuous in its blue colour, with strange art nouveau
1/10 this attractive terrace of cottages of 1852 was on the original lane
from Sidcup to Chislehurst. Some have been considerably altered
30 is part of the same development as the park
One of the first new roads laid out
locally. Houses from 1870 – highly ornamented detached and semi detached.
follows the winding course of the old road from London to
Maidstone which was improved by the New Cross Turnpike Trust in 1781.Further
development took place in the late 19th century after the arrival of the
railway, and above the modern shop fronts much of the facades and roofline has
hardly changed since that time. There was the Nucleus of a tiny hamlet at the
top of Sidcup Hill.
1 The Black
Horse. an old coaching inn
with a highly attractive frontage which preserves its basic appearance of the
time when the road was improved in
63/75 1880s, in classical stylewith some small circular windows.
64 c1881, is the
only building in the High Street to retain the appearance of the original house
with an unaltered ground floor.
77 Cannon Cinema.
The cinema entrance is c1933, butthe actual auditorium is of 1911 and is
located behind Kings Hall, a building c1870with patterned brick, Gothic window heads and other decorative detail.
Originally called The Regal and later the ABC and then Cannon. Closed 2001.
Police Station 1902
136 Horse and
Groom Pub. Antique
interior disguises its modern background.
Station.Classical brick and stone Edwardian building
1914 for the Sidcup UDC as Fire Station, Council Offices and Council Chamber.
Charcoal Burner Pub
Marechal Niel Parade. Built in 1937. newsagents, grocers, greengrocers, butcher,
hairdresser, baker and ironmonger, catered for the majority of the needs of
local residents. Brunshaws were shortly to be taken over by Charringtons.
Robins, the grocers, was the
nearest to a chain with three shores locally. They remained in business until
the early 1950s.
Christ Church owes
its origin to a dispute between one of the early vicars of St. John's and a
group of his parishioners, who resolved to found another church nearby. At
first they worshipped in an iron church in Chislehurst Road, but their
congregation flourished and they were able to build the present church which was consecrated in 1901.
Old Forge Way
1936 intended to create cul
de sac with garages in a Wealden vernacular style by Kenneth Dalgleish
1887-1964. Organic extension to Sidcup High Street
1/15 are a
delightful enclave of vernacular houses off Rectory Lane, formed by two
terraces leading to a semi-circular group. Designed by Kenneth Dalgleish in
1936 in the style of 17th & 18th century cottages of the Kent
& Sussex Weald.
the main road to Maidstone originally followed the route
of Rectory Lane until a new
highway was made down Sidcup Hill in 1776
Rectory. in the 19th century caves and grottoes were cut into the sand in the Rectory Garden.
attractive romantic house c1910 in vaguely Arts & Crafts style.
distinctive house of c1910, Toucy & Selwood the front rather difficult to
see, but the rear, with two full height bows and a profusion of pargetting, readily visible from Knoll Road.
The Grange near the junction with Cross Road. Tolhurst family.
Demolished for Old Forge Way 1930s
23 Selborne Court. A large and impressive classical-style house c1903 with a fine baroque
Sidcup appears in medieval documents as ‘Cetecopp’. Thomas
de Sedcopp is recorded as having sold land in the district.It wasa straggling hamlet along
the Maidstone road with. The Black Horse, and some larger houses. In the early
19th century it began to increase in size. A church was built in 1841 and in
1866 the railway line was opened, though the station was sited a mile to the
north. electrification of the Line in 1926 released a flood of building.No main drainage until the 1880s.
the main road to Maidstone built as a new highway was made down Sidcup Hill in 1776
Ursula Lodges. A fine group of almshouses built 1972 around a square with a pond;
the front entrance is round the corner in Eynswood Drive. They replaced previous buildings funded by the
Berens family of Sidcup Place in 1847, and from this time a low brick wall to
the east survives
Kentish Times Building. Three storey building 1931 for local paper
and print works. Now offices.
Manor Farm fields alongside. Slow development from the
area. Informal recreation space. This small tract of
common land is separated from the grounds of Sidcup Place by a screen-belt of
tall lime trees on a mound.a corner of Sidcup which still keeps a distinctly
Victorian atmosphere with its large houses and spacious gardens.
The War Memorial commemorates the dead of both world wars.
Manor House. 1780s, council offices. Architect
not known. Eighteenth century remarkable roughness. A
very handsome house of red brick c1790 in a prominent position opposite Sidcup
Green. It was built on the site of an old farmhouse, and was originally called
Place Green House. It was named
Manor House in the 1860s, though there never was a manor of Sidcup. It is now
used as the Registry Office by Bexley Borough Council.
Place Cottage. brick house, it loos late 18th century , but the structure is of a timber-framed house, probably c1675. There are
substantial extensions to the rear, and a two storey bay to the east, added
Cluny Cottage, has an ornate porch and steep barge
boarded gable; the lower floor is of knapped flint, the upper floor jettied and
tile-hung. It was originally three cottages of 1886.
Lodge, was built in identical style c1986, a hundred years later.
Freeby, a large house with tile-hung upper floor, of 1896.
Sidcup Place. An extraordinary building, partly 18th
century, but very irregular because of its 19th century extensions. It is
surrounded by a great area of open
to have been designed to resemble a fort with projecting bastions at each
corner by a Royal
Engineers officer andPlanned like a
staff tent,. The Berens family
lived here From 1822 to 1919 and were well-known for their local benefactions –
they funded the Sidcup National School, Ursula Lodges and ohns Church. Later
the house became a private school and in 1933 was purchased by the Chislehurst
and Sidcup Urban District Councils for use as their headquarters. It was later
transferred to the London Borough ofBexley and used by the Directorate of Engineering and Works. The old
core, said to date to 1743, is at the south-east corner. only the north-east
bastion remains free, the the others merged into extensions of 1853. The north
front has a tower, with aconcave roof,
and the coat of arms of the Berens added in c1896. There is a mounting-block by
the foot of the tower. Has
since become a pub.
stable-block, c1780 and a section
Park The grounds of Sidcup Place, cover just over 25
acres, with gardens and sports facilities,
and a special playground for children. There is a rose garden, the old kitchen
garden with its 19th century walling. There is a long ha-ha of
The Park was a development of the
1870s. Three houses remain from that time
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis