This post is not finished and has not been edited or checked
Post to the east Three Mills
Post to the west Plaistow
Post to the south CanningTown and Bow Creek
Post to the north West Ham Plaistow
Franciscan Friary 1901
Missionaries of Mary. (R.C.), Founded 1897 by
Franciscan missionaries of Mary and. partly used as an Old People's Home.
Convent building 1902, with new wing of 1909; gutted by fire in 1941 and
1946-55. To be replaced by a smaller convent, 2004.
Chapel Of The Sacred Heart Of Jesus, 1929-3 W.C. Mangan.
Grange Road School for
‘mentally and physically defective’ children, 1903, Canning Town Women’s
Settlement, ran the school for many years, 1936 ESN School, West Ham
Earl of Beaconsfield
Cemetery. Private. Opened in 1872. Fine gate piers. Two dull Gothic chapels faced with crazy-paved
ragstone but marred by modern additions. One converted to a crematorium.
Between the gate and the chapels a granite cross with a tall, nigged base to
commemorate Britain's allies in the Great War dating from as early as 1917.
There are no single monuments of great merit but the post-1945 ones include a
remarkable array of individualistic, often touching memorials that are so
characteristic of east London cemeteries. Popular types include the overt
symbolism of half-open doors, open arches and heart shapes, while footballs, a
lorry, teddy bears, dogs and even a dart-board provide highly personal
mementoes of the deceased. They are a far cry from the dreary lines of
headstones usual in modern English burial grounds. Many bomb victims near entrance. Memorial to people died when viewing platform
on ship launch of HMS Albion collapsed 1898 and also from the Princess
Alice. Chinese and Japanese burials. Well maintained with trees, grassland scrub
and birds Obelisk to children killed in
Forest Gate school fire.
Park bought for the town by
Lord Bethell 1899, grocer,
Church 1991 another replacement, this time a chapel
attached to a U-shaped block of fiats for residents with special needs, under a
descending sequence of pitched
West Ham station, 1901 on Bow/Barking line Between Canning Town and Stratford on the Jubilee
Line. Between Bromley by Bow and Plaistow on the District and Hammersmith and
City Lines. Between Limehouse and Barking on the Main Line Railway from
Fenchurch Street.. A station was first opened at West Ham on 1st February 1901 by the
London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. It was first used by underground trains
on 2nd June 1902 and was renamed West Ham Manor Road on 11th February 1924.
However, it was shortened back to West Ham on 1st January 1969.1 1st February Opened
London Tilbury and Southend Railway 1902 Whitechapel & Bow Railway
extension eastwards 1924 name changed
to West Ham (Manor Road) 1901 Opened on the London Southend Railway, 1999
Rebuilt in its present form Heyningen & Howard, as the first of the new to
the Stratford extension of the Jubilee Line. By con the High-Tech sleek machine
aesthetic of Canning and Stratford, the materials used here - exposed
pre-trusses, glass-block glazing and ruddy-red hark back to Underground designs
of the Holden era, in the tall, brick clock tower.
West Marsh sewer,
Canning Town North signal
Memorial ground owned by
A.F.Hills of Thames Ironworks. West Ham
Football Club started there,
Northern outfall sewer,
laid out as a public footpath, Metropolitan Board of Works, 1868
Memorial Park.. nursery
and community building in energy efficient building with a grass roof and
The Hub. Multi-functional
Community Resource by Eger Architects and Ove Arup & Partners, 2003-4.part cafe,
1911 dockers’ wives doing
outworking shirt manufacture and underclothes