London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been edited, checked or finished
1-5 1909 Atay.
Chiselhurst Boys Grammar
School extended in 1938 by KCC
Cray Valley Tech.
Kemnal Manor Upper School.
Built 1934 as Chiselhurst and Sidcup County Grammar School, and done extremely
well by John W. Potlock, with Christiani Nielsen as
consultants. Not at all the normal Kent County Education Department's school
design of the 1930s but a design that has worn extremely well. Built to three stories because the site was
in use for playing fields. Listed in 1982 and largely unaltered.
Chislehurst cemetery. The Royal British Legion memorial, at, is a simple Portland stone
headstone bearing a central carving of the Legion's lion's head.
Darul Uloom London.
‘Kemeshol’,‘Kemehal’ 1240, ‘Kemenhole’
1301, ‘Kymenhole’ 1387, ‘Kenmale’ 1480, that is ‘hollow or valley of a man called Cyma', from an Old English
personal name and Old English ‘hol’.
house Grade II listed Jacobean style.Built in 1876 for a banker, Henry Tiarks and used as a women’s section
of the Church Missionary Society. V2 attack 14 February 1945 then in use as convalescent
home for London ATS women. No civilian casualties reported.
war nuclear bunker now a private house.
Old Elthamians Association sports ground in memory of former pupils in the
Second World War
Old Perry Street
Western Motor Works. Name spelt out 1967. Architect worked at Bedford
very early example of its type, 1909 by E.
J. May, has a high-spirited showroom of 1966-7 by Oliver E. Steer
Frogpool Farm on the junction with the By
Pass.Cattle taken across the road into
Moated Saxon manor for the
Scantleburys and then the Walsinghams, 1425-1655. Queen Elizabeth, Henslow.
Tudor House demolished 1725. New house 1870. Moat still there. Fired 1976.
Hunting Park Council 1983. Had been meant for housing. Woodland. Farmland.
Meadows. Pool. Streams. Struggling to keep grass blades free from developers.
Was de Scathebury. 1930s bricks mark the old foundation and tried to recreate
the hall - hence the modern chimney. .
Nature Reserve An area of formerly traditionally managed
farmland retains many hedgerows, meadows, ponds and streams. Formerly an
enclosed hunting park owned by the De-Scathebury family and later the
influential Walsinghams.By the 20C
ownership had passed to the Townshends. The park was acquired by the borough
council for housing in 1983 but opened in 1985 as a new public open space. The
woodland has a core of former wood pasture with massive oaks estimated to be
around 400 years old. A section has been planted with sycamore but as this was
formerly coppiced, extensive areas of bluebells survive. The wood below the
main ride seems to be colonised farmland with field boundary hedge species in
abundance such as gean and field maple. Typically, the ground flora of the
former wood pasture is dominated by bracken, while the ancient woodland
contains wood anemone and wood sorrel. The diversity of woodland structure
supports many woodland birds including nuthatches, tawny owls and all three
British woodpeckers. Shallow streams, several large drainage ditches and nine
ponds provide important habitats for various amphibians such as the great
crested newt. Damp conditions in the NE section suit the broad-buckler as well
as other kinds of fern along with opposite-leaved golden saxifrage and many
mosses and lichens.
struck on 8 February 1945, starting at 3am, which damaged Queen Mary's
Hospital, Sidcup and Properties in Perry Street, though no casualties resulted.
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by