Islington Angel and Upper Street
This post is not finished, had not been checked or edited
Post to the north Islington and Highbury Corner
Angel. District and station named from a former coaching inn on the Great North Road called the Angel dating from the 17th century. It marks the junction of five major roads: St John Street and Goswell Road from the south; City Road, climbing up in a long ascent from London Bridge on the east side; Pentonville Road falling westwards to Kings Cross and St Pancras, and ahead, Upper Street, on the line of the Great North Road. Was Hyde's Saxon estate. Medieval shrine to Our Lady of the Oak at Iseldon, old pagan goddess. Owned by the Priory of St.John, hospice. Sheepcote. Actually in Finsbury, burial place of Finsbury paupers. The station is named on the Ordnance Survey map of 1904.
Mail coaches. the Angel, a mile, and a quarter from the General Post Office, the mail coach route was joined by the older line, from St John Street via Smithfield and Hicks's Hall which came to the first turnpike at Islington. Islington Gate marked the end of urban London
Angel Inn. Pre-1810 old country inn, galleried and players. Not recorded before the Great Plague year of 1665. Dispatched more coaches than any other inn, and everything went past there so you would get the coach you wanted,with its ample accommodation, great stables, and assembly of horses. In a room here Tom Paine wrote the first part of The Rights of Man. The old Angel was pulled down in 1819, rebuilt in 1870 and again in 1900. 1922 became a Lyons Corner House, now gone again.Angel Hotel niw with a cupola and terracotta by Eedle & Myers's 1899. Gutted by the GLC in 1980-1 and now a Co-op bank and offices.
Going over the canal. Also along the 100-foot terrace and the eastern edge of the spur. Several other fine blocks erected
1 TA 1908 had been Barnsbury Park Collegiate School
14 White Conduit House. Occupying part of the site of the White Conduit pleasure grounds. There was a ‘shrubby maze’ here – was it a sacred site? Near to the sacred Penton hill it is the avatar. Nearby the sacred well of Sadler’s Wells. Where the White Conduit Cricket Club was founded in 1752. So called because it stood near a white stone conduit which supplied fresh water to Charter- house until 1654 but was removed in 1831. There has been a small beer-house on this site since 1649 and it later became a "celebrated Cockney place of amusement.” In 1754 it was advertised as "having for its fresh attractions a long walk, a circular fish-pond, a number of pleasant shady arbours enclosed with a fence seven feet high, hot loaves and butter, milk direct from the cow, coffee, tea and other liquors, a cricket field, unadulterated cream, and a handsome long room, with copious prospects and airy situation.” However in the 1840s it became a den of vice and debauchery and it was demolished in 1849 to be replaced by the present building. In the 1870s the aeronaut Charles Green made balloon ascents from the extensive grounds surrounding the tea gardens. A groundsman here was Thomas Lord who later built the cricket ground in Marylebone which bears his name
Called Elizabeth Street and Chapman Street then WC Street and Liverpool Road, Named after developer of the Glebe land, Richard Chapman but in 1830 he went bankrupt
26 home of Thomas Shepherd, artist and engraver
Parallel to City Road. 1848
St. Matthew's. Bombed and destroyed
1876. Called after 1st Earl of Camden, eighteenth century Lord Chancellor. Continues the line of the High Street with small houses, now over shops. Cruden, author of the Concordances, died here insane. Plague. Antique Market and restaurants and pubs and theatres which include London's version of Off-Broadway.
47-53 is a newcomer of the 19th facing Islington Green. Ground-floor shop windows in curved concrete surrounds.
The Mall, Market a former Electric Tramway transformer station, ex-London County Council horse tram depot. 1905. Inspired by Dance’s Newgate Gaol. By Vincent Harris for the LCC, 1905-6. Brick walls with rusticated Baroque entrance aedicules. Subdivided into a shopping arcade in 1979. Vincent Harris started his career as an LCC architect working on several electricity generating stations. He went on to become a noted municipal public buildings architect The sub-stations were built by the LCC as transformer stations necessary for the electrification of the tramway system begun in 1902.
Developed by Thomas Rosoman. Opens out built in 1760. Bricked in for the council flats were built. Ceased to be a thoroughfare
50-58 at Chesterton Place of 1790 terrace
Camden Head. A pub of 1899 with much engraved glass inside, refurbished appropriately by Rodert Gradidge
This was Chapel Street with town houses in the 18th and then the fire engine house was built in 1792.. market was there by 1860s. renamed Chapel Market in 1936.
Busy shopping centre and street market at the back of the blitzed area, has escaped almost unharmed While Camden Passage is for the collectors and dealers, nearby Chapel Street Market is for the local people. traditional London street market selling fresh fruit and vegetables in season, sweets and toys for the children, wet fish and clothes for warmth or fashion. Cafes and pubs offer a wide selection of foods and ' drinks at reasonable prices.
48 first Sainsbury’s in Islington opened 1882. soon had three more shops in the street.
92-93 Indian Veg
97b two modern houses with internal courtyards. Introspective haven. Edgeley Design 2006.
Charles Lamb lived
Overwhelmed by the street market. Horses from the barges were led along there. Site of the White Conduit. Lesser houses,
5 Edison Bell International
Salmon and Compass
The other "a large deep pond"
Chariton Crescent, 1791-2. Developed by James Taylor, the R.C. architect who designed houses in Duncan Terrace and probably City Road.
New geology, 1831, plaque
St.John's Church. Pugin original in 1873. 1820 Charles Lamb plaque
32 Caroline Chisolm the 'emigrant's friend' Caroline Chisholm, so called because of the voluntary help she gave to emigrants to Australia. Caroline Chisholm lived in Australia for many years, giving practical help and leading parties of settlers into the unexplored interior. who set up the Family Colonisation Loan Society here. Dickens knew her and she was the original of Mrs.Jellaby in Bleak House.
Tollgate, and there was another one at Islington. These were abolished in July 1864. Built in 1760, the common new road from Shoreditch to the Angel. Western stream of the Walbrook ran down here and was open at the turnpike powering a lead mill until early 19th.
326 City and Guilds of London Institute. Was formerly a detached mid-c19 villa of stock brick,Restored with a new link to the r. with archway and a further bay, another link to 'Cottage Place 1845',
338-398 Dalby Terrace was built by and named after the developer, Dalby. He lived in the end house, which passed the New River. The triangle of the river land in between the two bridges was covered over in 1861. He also invented beer engines
352 Early 19th terraced house, used as an office.
396-398 Listed Grade II, Conservation Area. Summary Early 19th terraced houses with mid 19th additions. for many years as a leather goods factory and then refurbishment for office use.
Angel Gate. 1980s clichés a large precinct of brown brick offices, displaying the usual 1980s clichés of decorative red brick arches and hipped roofs.
Angel Station. 17th November 1901. Between Kings Cross and Old Street on the Northern Line. Built by the first tube line, the City and South London Railway which ran from Stockwell northwards, via London Bridge. Angel Station was an extension, which continued to Euston. It was opened with a single island platform in a 30ft diameter tube, with electric lights all through and electric lifts from the start. Rebuilt in 2000s Within the rebuilt corner of Islington High Street In the ticket hall, sculpture Angel, by Kevin Boys, 1996, figure of twisted metal bands.
Cigarette Factory for Craven A. tobacco firm been founded by Jose Carreras, an emigre from Spain taken over in the 1890s by William Johnston Yapp, who joined forces in 1903 with with an American, Bemhard Baron, who had settled in England. Baron soon took over the company and with increased sales following the introduction in 1921 of the first machine-made cork- tipped cigarette, 'Craven A'.
Clarence Works, Salmon and Gluckstein, tobacco merchants
Clock from J.Smith and Sons. It replaced an obelisk put there by the City Road Turnpike Trust. The monumental clock has been a landmark since 1906. Smiths, makers of clock components, in 1812 established their factory in St John's Square where their premises remained until the 1990s when they were non-ferrous metal stockists.
Gutta Percha Co. English Channel Telegraph Co cable with John Watkins Brett. 25 nautical miles. With central copper conduction covered in l/2 in gutta percha.
New River used to cross it in a trough
Orphan Working School
Roman Cement Manufacturers, 1822
St.Mark's Hospital, was a small out patients originally in Aldersgate Street. Became the Infirmary for the Relief of the Poor Afflicted with Fistula and Other Diseases of the Rectum. New hospital 1854 with 40 beds and an operating theatre heated by a coal fire. Became part of Bart's. Early example of a specialist hospital. 1852-4 by John Wallen, heightened and extended 1895-6 by Rowland Plumbe.
St.Matthew's church. Opened in April 1848. Situated in Berkeley Crescent, which runs parallel with the main roadway. The church was destroyed in the air raids of 1940 and then completely demolished.
Stick & Weasel was called City Arms. Weasel is a Victorian jobbing tailors smoothing iron.
Turkish Community Library.
Underground railway site
Last Square built by New River Co. 1935/6, 8 blocks of flats. Site had been a cattle layer. Approached by an entry between 32 Claremont Square and 1 Mylne Street.
The New River estate, on whose western limit Claremont Square was built, had belonged until the 16th century to the Priory of St John of Jerusalem and included all what later became Pentonville, as well as much land around the top of St John Street. It was known as Commandry Mantells, ‘Commandery’ being the usual name of Order properties, and 'Mantells' supposedly a corruption of Mandeville, the name of the field. Henry VIII confiscated the Order’s property in 1540 for the Crown, and it became part of three large estates belonging to the Penton family, the Lloyd Baker family and the New River Company. During the Civil War this was the site of one of the fortifications thrown up to defend London on the north, and vestiges survived for at least a century. The new square, while harmonious in design, was piecemeal in construction. The square was regarded as part of Pentonville, though its style is that of the New River estate. Claremont, extended from a neighbouring terrace in Pentonville Road, was a fashionable name, from the Surrey mansion where, Princess Charlotte lived. Walter Sickert was a lodger in the square. But by the 1900s Claremont Square had greatly decayed, but in 1970s, it was acquired by Islington Council as part of a conservation area. The architects Andrews Sherlock carried out, rehabilitation programme.. Some houses were converted into flats. The houses are of the usual New River estate pattern,
Reservoir. The Mantells were the subject of continual litigation, and in 1704 Henry Hankin, a lessee of the Lloyd family, illegally made over to the New River Company large tracts at the top of the hill, on part of which they built their 'New Reservoir' in 1709. In 1744 the Company secured a conveyance by John Lloyd of more than 30 acres. By then the New River Head's water supply had extended to houses by the 'New Reservoir' or Upper Pond; and a small ice-house was made on its bank. The water had to be still further raised, and an extra 30 feet was gained by means of a cast-iron pipe like a huge inverted U. Garden walks, to which only the privileged were admitted, surrounded the water, enclosed by railings and later by a high brick wall. The unsightly high wall round the reservoir was replaced in 1826 with an iron railing for the convenience of the new residents. In 1852 the Metropolis Water Act decreed that no standing water remain uncovered in the London area; so the 'New Reservoir' at Claremont Square was drained, piped, and covered. The mysterious hooped pipe became redundant, and the central area was above the surrounding street level and there was a steep flat-topped bank. There were attempts to cloak the embankment with shrubs and flowers. The Company allowed grazing by a few melancholy sheep before they go to the slaughterhouse.
A field path skirted the New River property on the west, and on the brow of the hill opposite the reservoir was a railed bowling green. Nearby stood a teahouse, Busby's Folly, later renamed Penny's Folly, which in turn gave way to the Belvedere Tavern. In the 1830s its gardens still retained gravelled alcoves and seats, and on the lawn, traces of the old bowling green. A racquet court remained in use in the rear yard until the tavern was rebuilt in 1876.
1-27 Claremont Square appears in the Rate Books by 1827, and was completed in 1828 with the south side.
4 a ground-floor shell attached to the Pentonville Road terrace. Plaque to Edward Irving 1792-1834, saying 'founder of the Catholic Apostolic church lived here'. Plaque erected 1982.
11 originally in Myddelton Terrace one of Cruickshanks’ homes. George Cruikshank (1792-1878), the noted cartoonist and illustrator, lived 1824-49 in three different houses in what is in effect the same street. Here in 1829 he drew the famous pictorial satire on jerry-building, "March of the Bricks and Mortar,” a fair picture of what he could see from his back windows. Identification of Cruikshank's addresses is extraordinarily complicated:
29 home of a contentious clergyman, the Rev. Dr Anthony Lefroy Courtenay, one-time curate of St James's Pentonville. Dr Courtenay was continually bringing lawsuits. He claimed all the parish emoluments on the incumbent's death in 1856, charged the sexton - whom he had tried to dismiss - with assault, and later caused scandal, by litigation over the building of his own church, Christ Church in Penton Street.
32 removed to widen access when Claremont Mews was transformed into Claremont Close
Myddelton Terrace on the west side (1821) was also part of a longer road, created from the old-field path to Clerkenwell. It was later renamed Amwell Street.
Myddleton terrace During the Napoleonic Wars the Clerkenwell Volunteers, one of London's many anti-Napoleonic citizen corps, had exercised on field days in Tub Field, a New River meadow west of Amwell Street, dressed in their scarlet coats and plumed helmet- caps. That meadow gave way to Myddelton Terrace
Winchester Place. Aaron architect of St James's Church for the new suburb (1787), also designed a terrace named Winchester Place in Pentonville road, opposite the reservoir enjoying a view of the City from the upper windows. After 1858 it became part of Pentonville Road, and was entirely rebuilt long ago. When the New River estate began to be developed in the 1820s, the Upper Pond became a natural site for a square, with part of Winchester Place ready-made as its north side.
South and east of Essex Road the attractive remains of the Clothworkers’ and the Scott Estates, both built up from the earlier c19, interspersed with varied bits of urban renewal from the 1860s onwards. 1846 Samuel Angell, Surveyor to the Clothworkers’, began to develop this company's property east of St Peter's Street, together with the Ecclesiastical Commissioners
Glebe Land. Built in 1821 and called Elizabeth Terrace – marked by a date stone. Islington has restored the houses and introduced a traffic scheme. Start of the Cloudesley Estate.
Cloudesley Place Yard, Dove Bros. builders there since 1840s. Stabling for Dove Bros, who built 19 new churches in Islington. Moved from this long-established base, and terminated the lease of their stonemason subsidiaries, Gilbert & Turnbull,
Cloudesley Mansions to screen Dove Bros. Builders’ Yard. Chief variation is the ironwork. Unadorned 1903-1907 architect Horace Porter.
Used to be called Islington and Far Islington Terrace Built 1820s by Dorset Goepal. A terrace of tall Georgian houses with fancy fanlights and decorative ironwork balconies. There are a few pretty front gardens and window boxes here
9 King of Denmark
North One Cafe Bar. New pub in bakery premises
Early in the century the Barnsbury area had almost no houses, and during less Cloudesley square was the earliest of the Barnsbury squares to be built. John Emmett acquired the rest of the site in three separate leases dated 1824-6, by 1825 square under construction. New River Estate style.
Holy Trinity Church. A Commissioners' church, to relieve St Mary's. John Savage (1779-1852) - was the Commissioners' first choice of architect, and his plans were even approved, but the tenders did not match his estimates, and it was the young Charles Barry (1795-1860) whose plans were finally adopted. Barry worked in the newly fashionable Perpendicular style, achieving a recognisable if cheap brick copy of King's College Chapel, Cambridge. Holy Trinity remained adequate to serve the new district only until the 1850s, when Islington's spectacularly rising population outstripped its capacity. A century later in the 1960s Holy Trinity was among those declared redundant. After remaining empty for some time, occasional use for concerts (for which its acoustics were not successful)' in 1980 it was leased and refurbished by a Pentecostal sect with a largely African congregation, as the Celestial Church of Christ. The railings have been restored the chancel had been remodelled; in 1903 the church was restored, at a cost of £3000, and the north and south galleries removed.
Gothic parish school Infant Schools. Grubb Behavioural Studies Institution
10 lived H Edwards, b. 1779, compiler of the English/Welsh Dictionary in 1850, died in 1858.
33 in 1864 lived the writer and social reformer George Banks, 1821-81, and his wife Isabella, poet and novelist, 1821-97.
Former parish school 1830. Stucco Gothic, 1830 by G. Legg, enlarged 1840.
2-6 North One Cafe Bar
Built in 1768 as piecemeal unplanned development. There are discrepancies between the rate books and leases. 1717 brickfields, brewhouses, and brick kilns built by Miller, and then bought by James Colebrooke. Colebrooke was a banker and Chair of the New River Co. It is a good place to study the development of c18 terraces. It starts opposite Islington Green and runs parallel to the High Street down to City Road. The attraction was the view the New River, which ran in front until culverted in 1861.
1-12, of which only 1-5 remain. The rest, much of it damaged in the war or used as warehouses - including a Gothic-style Presbyterian church of 1834 adjoining no. 10 were re-developed by the Council in 1960.
1-3 River Terrace, 1813
11-12 demolished, 1838 now Widford House, GLC
13-19 Between Elia Street and Vincent Terrace became River Terrace North the 1837 built by Watkins
20-23 Montague Terrace between the canal bank and Gerrard Road, 1841. These match the contemporary 34-45 Duncan Terrace opposite.
24-28 Montague Terrace between the canal bank and Gerrard Road, 1841. These match the contemporary 34-45 Duncan Terrace opposite.
32A Hermitage House at the corner of Gerrard Road, a Council block, named after the house formerly on its site. It was the home of William Woodfall (1746-1803), Parliamentary reporter and friend of Garrick and Goldsmith. Previously the Colebrooke Arms and a girls' school since demolished. Became a police station, then Old Court House and then demolished
37-40 1772-4 demolished. Colebrooke School for Mentally Defective Children
41 industrial by 1930s
41-53 an excellent sequence of the later c18 three-storey terrace houses some heightened. Straight-headed windows with rubbed brick heads, and open-pedimented Doric doorcases 1768
55 hostel for working women - there is a sign up about it.
56 next to The Castle. Where Colly Cibber died. 1720
56-57 built in 1720 are the least altered, cottages each of three bays, flush window frames, door canopies on carved brackets.
56-59 before 1730. May be survivals of brewhouse and Burton’s kilns
57 Castle Inn and Tea Gardens 1720.
58-49 John Rules Academy for young gentlemen. One of Islington's many Academies
60-65 Birds Buildings Round a bend a plain group of 1767-74. An 18th-century terrace. The topographical artist Thomas Hosmer Shepherd lived at no. 2 from 1842—51
67 there was to be a railway station behind this on the Essex Road Branch Railway. Occupied by Jacoby at the end of Birds Buildings
Ison and later Cyril Ray.
New River emerged at top; strip along the right hand side is the old course. Many passers-by tumbled in – famous print of that happening - especially when the protective fencing was removed while Duncan Terrace was building. In 1861 the river was piped and covered over, the pipes being dug out in 1950. The present gardens were made over the former riverbed. Here the river ran as an open channel until 1861, and the Royal Humane Society formerly provided lifesaving equipment here and at other points along the route. Closed in 1861 and ran into a pipe and then closed altogether. 1952 gardens done up and Westmoreland rocks put in.
Original Colebrooke Row of 1768, ran Between 57 and Gerrard Road and named after the then land-owners.
Watson herb and nursery garden, 1771, first azalea 124
Wideford House is on the site of Islington Presbyterian Church, which was built Richard Dixon. It became English Presbyterian, and then became Albemarle Hall, billiards and then a warehouse. Plaque
Discreet yellow brick Islington housing. . Leads off on the East Borough Architect's Department, 1965 well-landscaped pathways stepping down to Colebrook Row
Built by Edward Cross. 1760s south side fine terraces and raised pavement survivals of first burst of development growth. Between Essex Road and Upper Street, contains a picturesque row of Georgian houses built on a raised pavement. Links Upper Street and Essex Road. Has a group of c18 houses
Baptist church, Elizabeth Maria or Sir T.Fowler Juror of 2 St.Walter Raleigh
40-42 site of Baptist Chapel
Old Parr's Head
Culpeper Community Garden. This inspired and extremely beautiful community garden is the jewel in Islington's crown. Begun in 1980 as a space to introduce local children to gardening, it has expanded to embrace all the local community, especially those without gardens of their own. Flat-dwellers can join a waiting list for an irregular-shaped plot the size of a large kitchen table in which to grow whatever they like - some choose flowers while others turn their patch into a mini allotment bursting with cabbages, runner beans and red and green lettuces. Some of the forty-six plots are gardened by Mencap, who also run workshops here; other areas, such as the lawn and wildlife ponds, are looked after communally.
14 Marionette theatre, Little Angel A delight for children and adults alike, it is England's only permanent puppet theatre
Good Templar Lodge, Temperance
Part of Frog Lane old road from London to Highbury
Steps to canal, Gardens
St.Peter’s School. Bold chimney 1837. Stuccoed Tudor school and schoolhouse early work of Roumieu & Gough, 1837
Our Lady of Czestochowa and St.Casimir. Previously was New Church College. And the Swedborgian national seminary and school. Glass about Polish struggle for sovereignty. Begun in 1852 by Edward Welch. Chapel 1865-79 by Finch Hill & Parane. The side chapel was originally a wing schoolroom.
Samuel Rhodes School
Peter Ackroyd lives in this street.
Site of Irvingite Church, 1834, built by Stevenson and Ramage. Burnt out and site became grounds of the primary school
River House, gone
St. John the Evangelist School
33 was County Court previously South Islington Proprietary School designed by Griffith
42 New Culture Revolution
St John the Evangelist. 1841-3 by J.J. Scales. Spires copper-covered post-1945.
A street of handsome Georgian terraced houses separated from Colebrooke Row by a narrow strip of railed garden. The more varied mixture is instructive for changes of style from the later c18 to the mid c19. Named for Admiral Duncan at Cape St.Vincent.
New River emerged from a brick-built underground channel, known as the Dark Arch, which carried it underneath what is now Essex Road for a distance of about 400 yards from 1649 until 1851, when it was replaced by iron pipes. The garden marks the course of the New River. Gardens. Managed originally by the Vestry of Islington. Now landscaped.
Rhodes Dairy 1800-1824. The farm became brickfields in 1820s. It used to overlook the New River, which was covered in 1861. Hattersfield – the dairy area became Tile Kiln Field. In 1827, it was sold to Cubitt for building. Eventually built over to form St Peter's district.
The Farm. "Starvation Farm" – site opposite the north end of Colebrooke Row. Once notorious as the property of a rich eccentric Portuguese named Baron d'Aguiler (c.1740—1802). Garage workshop. Now a mews development 'The Farm'
1-16 1799-1803 at the City Road end. Built by Gold
28 home for working women
36 bombed and rebuilt in facsimile
39 Priests House, Canon Oakley
40 Sisters of the Holy Cross and Home for Catholic Working Girls in London
50-58 ‘New Terrace’, also Colebrooke Terrace & Charlton Place/Charlton Crescent, 1791-2 built by James Taylor ends at Charlton Place (1790).
64 Colebrooke Cottage. Two-storeyed house with a later stuccoed front, which may date from the 1760s. Home of Charles and Mary Lamb from 1823-6. Lamb, described it as a white cottage with six good rooms and a well-stocked garden behind, while "the New River - rather elderly by this time - runs - if a moderate walking-pace can be so termed - close to the foot of the house". Charles Lamb lived here on retiring from East India Co. to his death in 1834 with his sister here 1823- 1827. 1907 London County Council plaque to Lamb. 'Elia' 1775-1834. saying 'Essayist lived here'. Mary, with the help of kind neighbours, continued living on her own for thirteen years.. The house was later occupied by John Webb, 1830. who built a soda water factory between the garden and Islington Green employing 60 people. Eventually the factory became a lock up garage.
Clerkenwell County Court
St.John the Evangelist RC, 1843.
Was Alfred Street built 1838
Nelson Terrace Part of Frog Lane old road from London to Highbury.
Self-explanatory name. called Lower Street in the 18th and 19th centuries - in contrast with Upper Street . The 'Real' Whittington Stone ended up here.
2 Swinging Sporran was Carved Red Lion
4-6 Alfredo's. minor c18. Features in films 'Quadrophenia’, Mojo’
30-32 site of Clothworkers' almshouses
46 1912 cinema, Coronet
57 Castle. New River under in a tunnel, where it emerged from Colebrooke Row
64 Jeffrey & Co. wallpaper, printed for Morris
Fox and Crown, Queen Victoria there
Library, 1916, Queen Ann style. 1916 by Mervyn Macartney, single-storey reading room behind linked by an oval lobby, which has a flying staircase to a first-floor library with columns and a shallow dome.
New River in a tunnel between the Thatched House Tavern, and Bird's Buildings, in Colebrooke Row. 489 yards long.
Ward's Place, demolished 1800.
Queens Head, rebuilt in 1829 but incorporating a ceiling and fireplace of c. 1600 from an older inn on the site. The fireplace has a stone lintel carved with robust scenes of Diana and Actaeon, with terms on either side, and a wooden over mantel. Old Queen's Head demolished 1830. Sir W.Raleigh said to have smoked his first pipe there. Coaching Inn like the Peacock and the White Lion. Old Red Hill was an old house let as a pub in 1825, owned by the Cecil family. Old since it was below street level, new level excavated. Part of mantelpieces in the Yorkshire Stingo.
346 William MacGeorge, 1885,
164 Luba's Place
Bridge over canal
Palmerston Dwellings erected in 1866 by the Improved Industrial Dwellings Company, consisting of three blocks of buildings five stories in height.
Was Church Street
Chapel on the corner, replaced old one
Old chapel became a British School and a feather dyers
Named for the landowner Gerard Noel terrace built across the New River.
47-52, 41 Coade stone, T.M.Sheppard, 1842-51, topographical artist
Oldest of the Islington Squares. Laid out 1835-40, and named for Milner-Gibson, ground landlord and MP for Ipswich, President BOT in 1828. Built in batches of six by 1830s, different styles used. Lay out by Francis Edwards who also probably designed the houses. Gibson Square proper was completed in 1836-9, partly by Louis England, a timber merchant, but Roff and Gough finished the whole estate only in the 1840s. Wxcavation for the Victoria Line shaft caused great disruption for more than a year; the new railway line cut diagonally below the houses from NE to SW, and has caused some settlement.
3 Charles Street. Home site of Islington historian Ediyn Tomlins, and in more modern times the distinguished photographer Angus McBean in 1945
35a, b, c, d, western exit, was called Charles Street and then numbered into the square. A pond, which survived until 1832, was in a field here - 'ducking pond' which was presumably drained and levelled off. It was incorporated into Gibson Square numbering, but as there were no numbers 35A, B, C and D.
35 end door distinctively rectangular in Roumieu and Gough style. Home of Angus McBean who lived there for some years before moving to a studio in Colebrooke Row and moving to Suffolk. He was one of the first in Barnsbury's revival as a popular residential suburb.
67 home of Samuel Maunder, 1785-1849, compiler of music,
When the corner house of Liverpool Road, burnt out in 1974, was finally rebuilt in 1988, two replica houses were added on its back yard space by James Gorst, as a further terminating pair to the terrace, with blocking course, stuccoing, balconettes, astragals and all.
Garden: Edwards's plan for Gibson Square shows a conventional layout for a central garden, surrounded like other London squares by railings with locked gates, open only to resident key-holders. In the 1930s, when the square was run- down and impoverished, the residents handed over the gardens to Islington Council for upkeep, and during the war it was dug up for air-raid shelters. Afterwards it was restored, replanted and well maintained, if again conventional in design. The gardens, were occupied by the building works for the Victoria Line for several years, and restored by London Transport to their pre-vent shaft form, with the additional replacement of bona fide railings for the post-war chicken-wire netting; and repaving with York stone slabs.
Victoria Line Shaft. The simulated temple now in the gardens, with Pantheon overtones, is a ventilating shaft for the Victoria Line of London Underground. It is also a milestone battle for the environment, marking an early conservation victory in 1963, when London Transport was about to build the new line, sites were marked for ventilation shafts in open spaces, including Gibson square. It was owned by the Council, who were presented with a proposal for a 50-foot ventilating tower of grimly functional design in exposed aggregate concrete panels. London Transport engineers, expecting uninterested landlords of run-down tenancies, were to their surprise confronted by a well-organised gang of angry and articulate new owner-occupiers, who formed a society, fought an apparently doomed campaign for several years, and took the fight to the office of the Minister of Transport in person with the support among others of Sir Basil Spence. London Transport progressively modified the design and lowered the height, pronounced impossible in the first instance. The eventual low-rise structure, erected in 1970, was designed by Raymond Erith with Quinlan Terry, then a partner, as a pedimented temple front with niches and dome-like mesh roof.
Was an ancient exit from London,
90, 1818, Samuel Parkes, general manufacturing chemist
Matthew Felton, yeast manufactory, 1796. Yeast received in butts from the largest Porter breweries. Separated by pumping into sailcloth or worsted bags and pressing. Exported 200 to 300 tons annually by 1811
166 Goswell Mews, Thomas Hancock, rubber, 1821, discovered a process for masticating caoutchouc, using naphtha spirits it could then be used, process taken over by Charles Mackintosh, Hancock continued to make rubber goods, burnt down in 1934
193-5 Spencer Place
Gateposts. Remain from the school founded in 1613 by s t Dame Alice Owen. – Other remains in Owen Street.
Prince of Wales
16-24 Islington Boat Club
29 Walter Sickert Hall, by dark Renner' architects, completed by Holmes Bosley Associates, begun 1992 alls of residence for City University
36 Stanton Williams Architects offices. Views over the canal.
38 Diespeker Wharf. Converted from a timber yard into offices and garden, Pollard Thomas Edwards 2003
38 a surviving early c19 wharf cottage. Made into offices for themselves by Edward Cullinan Architects, 1991.
52 Carter Paterson The firm are now using parts of their Granary and Fodder Mill for the storage of Wholesale Warehousemen's Goods such as cloth and drapery and cardboard cases and cartons belonging to Carreras Ltd.
363 Canal Cottages
Diespeker & Co. terazzo factory of 1908-9. Tall chimney and three storey office block.
Winston House, British Drug Houses HQ until 1967, now Glaxo
Half Moon Crescent
Vittoria School an experimental design by the ILEA in conjunction with the DBS, with reference to the 1966 Plowden Report encouragement of a more domestic and informal approach. Each its own dining area round courtyards all grouped round a multi-purpose hall. Split level because of the sloping site. Monopitch roofs.
Like Hermit’s Hill in Westminster – near the sacred Penton Hill. Used to be a doctor here with the Balsam of Life and the house became an observatory
Isedon House: City of London old peoples scheme
Managed by Vestry of Islington. Area around is more a Victorian development than a Georgian one. Was railed 1781 and planted 1865. there were 15th tenements round it demolished in 17th – when it was used as a dunghill. He Marquess of Northampton gave it to the Vestry in 1777 and then it was cleaned up.
Fox – stood on the north west corner
10-12, Waterstone’s shop of 1994-5, with Neo- Victorian iron canopy, occupies the site in front of the famous Collins Music Hall Sam Collins Chapel in the Green, Music Hall. One of the great popular attractions of the Victorian era. This was opened in 1862 at the back of the Landsdowne Tavern. Its most popular performer was Marie Lloyd, who lived locally in Holloway. Another famous artiste who performed here was Charlie Chaplin The music hall, later used as a timber store, was destroyed by fire in 1958. Proposals for developing the site as an arts centre were under discussion 1990s.
Collins Yard, called Jones Burial Ground, burials for New Islington Chapel, traditionally plaque pit
19-22 Rosoman Buildings. Remains of a terrace then
30-34 handsome warehouse. Refurbished as an antique bazaar. Tall, late c19 refurbished by O'Neilly Associates, 1979, with a big mansard and mirror-glass canopy.
75 Electric Cinema. Few houses look c18 behind later commercial excrescences, this is one, converted in 1908-9 from a shop projecting in front; it still has its small dome and, originally torch-bearing, figure.
Slug and Lettuce was The Fox, Brewed own beer
Hustings, Babbage speaking on his election campaign, 1832
Place for dissenting preachers
Lansdowne Arms 1864
Hugh Myddleton statue Gladstone unveiled it, 1862. A dull statue of Sir Hugh Myddleton creator of the New River for London's water supply; by the successful John Thomas, 1861-2. The monument, with a total height of 21 feet, includes Myddelton's figure in Sicilian marble on a pedestal of grey Devonshire granite, all on a base of Portland stone and provided with a public drinking fountain. New River Co. gave £50
Iverna Court: Armenia Chapel built by Caloust Darkis for his parents, Gulbenkien
Islington High Street
Parish boundary down the middle of the road. 1780 route to Smithfield, Angel at Annunciation. A wide thoroughfare which extends from the Angel to Islington Green. widens into a spacious open wedge the type found in old market towns, with a part of the space filled up by an island of buildings and the small alleys between them the pavement is raised, and here the street is called Upper Street. It has a scatter of Georgian houses visible above later shops, interspersed with Victorian commercial frontages and later rebuilding, a mixture which continues
Angel Square. The crossroads, after a road-widening scheme of the late 1970s, is dominated by huge office blocks. A greedy piece of Postmodernism by Rock Townsend, 1987-91, bronze Obelisk to Thomas Paine 1809 who is said to have written parts of the Rights of Man at the Angel with relief portrait, 1991: by Kevin Jordan;
White Lion. Coaching inn. Next to the Peacock. The name is a reference to the badge of Edward IV
2-78 Rufford's buildings
7 Angel Cinema. 1913. A stuccoed Campanile style tower. Closed 1972 soars above the shops all that remains of H. Courtney Constantine's Angel Picture Theatre of 1913. The main entrance was in White Lion Street.
North London Poly
Waterstone's Bookshop was Philharmonic Hall, became Grand Theatre, Lottie Collins, 1. Became Empire Cinema
Royal Bank of Scotland
Peacock a more important inn for the long-distance traveller. All northbound coaches called there. all the northern vehicles converging on the Peacock, a kind of Watford Junction of coaching days, At the same time the Peacock was convenient to any traveller going north, for there was no need to seek the appropriate London posting house and decipher the elaborate time-tables. One had only to proceed to the Peacock in the sure knowledge that one's coach must stop there. The Peacock has vanished pulled down as long ago as 1829.
02 Angel Bookshop
Regent’s Court. 1981. American in flavour but predating post modernism. Corporate monotony.
Three Hats, equestrian displays
80 a dignified late c18 group with doorway on Tuscan columns, effect like bath brick, not in stone. Pullen's Place
84-98 Pullen's Row with open pedimented doorcase and some pretty fanlights between,
York public house, an Italianate rebuilding of 18 century,
Barnsbury HA housing. Pleasant pedestrian walk at the back. A smaller group
Built 1836 along the boundary of a nursery, which remained on the south of the square. In 1889 taken over by the vestry as Thornhill Gardens 124 Square curiosity of plan
Milner Gibson estate
1822 East of the Back Road and parallel with the Cloudesley estate an irregularly shaped piece of land was held of the Tufnells, Lords of the Manor of Barnsbury, by the Milner-Gibson family. Their fortune came from plantations in Trinidad. Major Thomas Milner-Gibson died in 1807, leaving a son, also Thomas, born in Trinidad only a year earlier. This Thomas was still an 'infant' in law, subject to guardians, when plans were put forward to develop the Islington estate. Much of Barnsbury's manorial land was copyhold, partly freed by an Act of 1822, under which tenants were enabled to 'improve' their land by building, or granting building leases, on payment of a third of a year's value of any houses they erected. In 1823 the guardians of young Thomas obtained licence to demise in order to build on their Islington fields. The estate surveyor and architect who laid out the site and designed the houses was Francis Edwards, At the time of the Milner-Gibson work he was newly in his own practice. The Barnsbury hilltop had once been dotted with pools, fed by local springs an used as 'ducking ponds', that is, for duck-hunting, although the laying out of house and street sewers in the current building boom was fast drying them up. A few still remained, however. Middle-class rediscovery and rehabilitation began in a small way in the 1950s and 1960s, Milner Place
1841 Roumieu and Gough. Better since council put entrance in the 1930s because of the light. Garden was a cabbage patch for years.
7 Chapel of the Pallotine Sisters. Picks up the square's verticality, with brick pilasters and stucco 'transom'. From 1877-1905 home of George Rutter Fletcher, FSA, solicitor and antiquary, father of the artist Hanslip Fletcher (1874-1955), and grandfather of Geoffrey Fletcher. G. R. Fletcher's wife, daughter of a surgeon, Thomas Hanslip, earlier lived in the same house.
'Used to be considered the ugliest of Barnsbury Squares.’ Its houses are built on a uniform plan, and formerly contained brick pilasters painted balconies, porches, and cornices in two colours, and round windows. Edwards’s builders dropped in favour of Gough and Roumieu. Dove, builder of the square, lived in several houses in it. It had become as dingy and barrack-like as the grimmest of c19 tenements by the time it was acquired by Islington Council in 1973 and convened and restored by J. Godfrey-Gilbert & Partners, 1973-7.
British Siphon Company. In 1936 Dove Brothers adapted the NE angle for a factory for the British Siphon Company, a change in keeping with Islington's change over at that time of many residential streets and houses to industry.
Garden: A narrow oblong space contains a well-wooded garden. Public and to be made a children's playground.
Pitcairn botanical garden separated the square from Upper Street
Waterloo Gardens site of Islington Proprietary School, which built on the northeast exit before the square was designed. Used from 1830, later known as Islington High School it was closed in 1897 and converted to industrial use. It ended as a greetings card factory, and was regrettably demolished in 1984. Its replacement in 1987 by Waterloo Gardens Christopher Libb retains the pediment and inscription, re-erected on the Barnsbury Street front. impressive block of offices and flats, A pretty Tudor plaque from the school has been incorporated into a sub-classical design
4 Dove the builder moved in in 1842
7 Dove builder’s home
20 Dove builder’s home. The place of the front door is taken by a passage through to Wellington Place, with no. 20's door opening into it. Alexander Kenith Isbister, 1822-83, teacher and educational author, died here on 28 May 1883 having been master at the Proprietary School (1849-55), later Headmaster of the Jews' College in Finsbury Square (1856-8), and Master of the Stationers' Company School (1858-62); also Dean of the College of Preceptors from 1872 until his death.
51 & 52 Flats. Site of Barnsbury Chapel (1835-41) Congregational church became an iron foundry. Rochford's Iron foundry, demolished 1971. Was in use until it became Rochford's Ironworks, unfortunately demolished in 1971. Flats by Kenneth Pring, with a brick 'bastion' at the rear in Barnsbury Court recall some of the old chapel's angular features. The challenge of fitting a new building into this c19 setting has been met successfully by Pring, White & Partners.
Humble service road. The first to be built on the Milner-Gibson estate between 1829 and 1836
New River after it left New River Head. Small bit of Owen’s Row is left but name is still on the car park. New River went right down it. City University goes over the route
1 removed to widen access when Claremont Mews was transformed into Claremont Close
Called after Gerard Noel field owner. Elegant Georgian
3 Hanover Street, John Lloyd Bullock
25 Joe Orton lived there from 1959, until murdered by Halliwell in 1967. He wrote Entertaining Mr.Sloane and went to prison for defacing library books.
50 Walter Sickert studio where he painted ‘hanging gardens of Islington’
60 George Gissing lived here. Victorian novelist he wrote The Nether World
87 Island Queen
Hanover Street School. 1932 unusual building squeezed between the canal and the street and so with a rooftop playground carried upon giant piers in from the street facade. End pavilions combine Arts and Crafts corn position with Art Deco trim.
Canal tunnel. Carries the Regent's Canal under Islington - under Pentonville Hill, from Muriel Street in west Barnsbury to the top of Noel Road, following a perfectly straight course. It is built of brick at a height of 18 feet, including 7 feet 6 inches of water, and the width is 17 feet. The depth of the cutting, as well as the number of houses which stood in the line of the canal, made it impracticable to continue it through Islington in the open. It was designed by James Morgan, Company Engineer, the contractor was Daniel Pritchard while Hugh McIntosh was the contractor for the earthworks.. It is 970 yards long with elliptical brick portals with sunburst rustication. While the tunnel was under construction the New River, which crossed above it, was temporarily carried in a wooden trough as a precaution against subsidence. There is no internal towpath and men were supposed to ‘leg’ it through while the horses went over the top. A steam tug on a chain was introduced in 1826.
Dame Alice Owen’s school. The school was rebuilt in Owen Street in 1840. And in 1886 a girls school was added, itself rebuilt in 1962 after damage in World War II. Between 1971 and 1976 the schools removed to Dugdale Hill Lane, Potter’s Bar. And the building is now used by City University. Tudor gateposts. Dame Alice had an Arrow through her hat then three husbands. In 1608 she bought Ermitage Field, and founded the school. . In 1940, over 100 people were killed when an enemy parachute bomb made a direct hit on Dame Alice Owen's Girls School. The basement was being used as a bomb shelter by 143 people that night. When the school moved took with them the statue of Dame Alice by George Frampton, 1897 in marble, bronze and alabaster; and nine figures rescued in 1751 from her tomb in St.Mary’s, Islington. After the schools permanently moved out of Islington, the Brewers' Company, still acting as trustee of the estate, entered into negotiations with City & Islington College who proposed to build a new Sixth Form Centre on the site.
1937 transferred to City Parochial, 1945 sold to London and Manchester Assurance Co. mostly bought by LB Islington in 1963. Controversial scheme. Large industrialised building scheme. Built up by 1861. Virtually unspoilt parts of the Clothworkers' Estate remain: surprisingly wide streets lined with uniform stucco-trimmed terraces of only two storeys. Problems in 1960s between City Parochial and developers. Council improvement plans. Long public enquiry. New system building. Packington Project.
Refurbished by David Ford Associates and Islington Council Architect's Department in 1989-94 with colourful but crude additions. Projecting canopies and bridges span the sunken gardens: hipped-roofed towers take the place of linking decks.
brick community office
The controversial scheme was the newly enlarged borough's most ambitious industrialized building scheme by H. Moncrieff of Cooperative Planning Ltd, using a Wates system.
Northern District Post Office. At the corner of Packington Street. Removed to Upper Street 1905. Built in 1855 on land leased from the Clothworkers' Company; the original Packington Street elevation still survives behind the much later front. Moved from Fore Street in 1805.
Bridge and Wenlock basin. 1826 and one acre. Residential moorings and birds
Area of open ground which has been archery practice area
Penton described by some as one of the hills from which prehistoric London was controlled. A sacred mound – nearby the maze at White Conduit, and springs at Sadler’s Wells, and the reservoir! ‘Pen’ means head and ‘ton’ means hill.
St.Silas. Perverse use of brick. 1860 by Teulon. Completed 1863 by E. P. Loftus Brock to a simpler design.
Dobney's Tea Gardens
Salmon and Compasses
10 small green-painted general ironmongers shop of G J Chapman. In the morning one would often see the youngish proprietor clad in a brown warehouse coat outside the shop carefully arranging his ironmongery ware: stiff wooden-handled brooms, shiny galvanised buckets etc. This was a laborious business and it all had to be put back in the shop in the evening. The premises were gutted and redeveloped for housing. Chapman's had been in business for 20 years or more.
15 Metropolitan Police Public Carriage Office 1964. By J. Innes Elliott. With the pre-cast concrete panels with splayed reveals that were popular in the 1960s.
Elizabeth Garratt Anderson School. 1962. Compact secondary school by Architects' Co-Partnership, 1962; house room around a central hall.
New road 1756, by pass, first omnibus route 1879, Shillibeer, north side of Peter Street is what remains of the whole plan, 1787 Aaron Hurst, Cord street, redundant Mr. Austin's museum of artificial stone
Pentonville. Laid out partly by Cumming with the idea of a new town. 66 acres between St.John's and the Angel. Laid out in 1773 with a grid layout. Little finished until the 1840s. Big row with Clerkenwell parish which went on for years, Sub leases, until 1830 toll road
Medici Co was Betjemann's works where the family made furniture, 1820
Lilley and Skinners concrete at its most emphatic. 10 storey building. 1947, boot and shoe manufacturers, set back from the road
Wine cash and carry was Cattermole's garage. They had a fleet of 5 buses. In 1924 they had a coach building works, petrol sales, office, etc. 23 hour garage, car and van hire, any sort of new car. Claremont Omnibus Co.
46 T.Gerrard, plastic skeletons
56-92 Winchester Place. Aaron architect of St James's Church for the new suburb (1787), also designed a terrace named Winchester Place in Pentonville road, opposite the reservoir enjoying a view of the City from the upper windows. After 1858 it became part of Pentonville Road, and was entirely rebuilt long ago. When the New River estate began to be developed in the 1820s, the Upper Pond became a natural site for a square, with part of Winchester Place ready-made as its north side.
64 was 16 Winchester Place until 1805 lived Thomas Cooke, the "Islington Miser", who achieved riches from poor beginnings largely through parsimony and cadging, and retired here from St Sepulchre's about 1791.
96-98 Belvedere Tavern site of Bugsby’s Folly or Penny's Folly, eighteenth century theatre. Racket court until the 1870s. By odd coincidence, the widowed Prince, before he became king of the Belgians, used later to frequent the Belvedere Tavern on the Pentonville Road incognito, in days when its upper room was the venue of a political debating. He was also at a meeting at the Belvedere that, on 15 June 1858, the British Horological Institute was formed an event now commemorated by a plaque on the tavern's facade.
166 London Female Penitentiary
173 Pentonville Wheel Works
178 Shaw's Freehouse
195 British Standards Institution
237 Penton Electronics
25-75 dignified four storey range
Kings Cross Welsh Tabernacle. Congregational. 1853. 1853-4 by Henry Hodge; porch, entrance lobby and vestries by Alfred Conder, 1904. Ragstone Gothic with slim decorated windows. Lofty, well-preserved interior: pitch-pine gallery of 1857, original fittings, hammerbeam roof with bold pierced spandrels. Dormer windows of 1904.
2 How of Edinburgh
Firemen’s flats for the London Salvage Corps
Providence Chapel 1832; c.1832, a simple pedimented box with altered round-arched windows
Queen's Head Street
Ram and Teazle
Islington Green School – the pupils sang on the Pink Floyd ‘s ‘Another Brick in the Wall’.
65-79, Garden site of Davis almshouses, 1798, modest, bombed
Heath's almshouses, gone
Islington Green School. 1965. Built with the Packington Estate Compact six-storey block of c. 1965 by ILEA Strong horizontal floor bands and twin concrete service cores threaded through next to the entrance board-marked concrete.
Part of Frog Lane road from London to Highbury.
94 part of a cluster of good shop fronts
Named after developer of the Glebe land, Richard Chapman but in 1830 he went bankrupt
Penton Primary School
River Terrace North?
1-5 bombed and used as a warehouse, Presbyterian Gothic church of 1834, next to 10 here originally at the council in 1960
St. Albans Place
Steps from Waterloo Place to St James Park mastic cement 'bituminous'
Termination of Nash's Regent Street, 1818 battle
Trafalgar House, National City Bank of New York and Societe Generale d'Escompte de Paris
Watson Indian Army bankers, bankrupt 1904, William York Building was Junior Army and Navy Stores, since Cunard-White Star Line
22 Tea Centre
T.Topham Dukes head rolling up pewter plates.
Alice Owen almshouses and the original school, whose three gables were Red with an arrow were between the Red Lion and Owen Street. The site is where the playground wall turns towards Owen's Row. This was a right of way until incorporated into the school grounds
New River the line where it crossed the road can be distinguished where the playground wall turns towards Owen's Row.
418 Old Red Lion Pub with literary associations back to Dr.Johnson but reputedly dated from the year of Agincourt 1415. One tradition has it that in a room of the original inn Tom Paine wrote the first part of The Rights of Man but he didn’t. Rebuilt in 1899. Elaborate brick decoration. 1898-1900 by Myers. Terracotta panels and elaborate brick decoration.
St. Mary's Path
Church cottage, old grave diggers house, soup kitchen in outhouse
Used to be called River Lane.
New River was in tunnel underneath, filled in 1950 after the pipes for the New River were put in. It emerged from a long tunnel built under Lower Street (Essex Road) and ran between the terraces towards the City Road bridges.
St.Peter's church. St.Peter's in the brickfields, 1834. Converted into flats c. 1990-
7-21 for the Clothworkers’. Company. They were developed by James and Thomas Ward and possibly designed by Samuel Angell, Surveyor to the Clothworkers' Company
30 Duke of Cambridge. This large, open-plan, gastro-pub has a spartan, wood and whitewash decor. It has acted as a pioneer, promoting organic food and drink in the cosmopolitan 'off Upper Street' area of Islington
41 Salman Rushdie’s house which he had to leave because of the fatwa. Sold to a Faber editor
Cluse Court.. Monson's 1950s council housing with two ten-storey blocks of maisonettes, as mannered as 1950s furniture.
The Narrow Boat
Ragged School Boys Institute.
Hattersfield estate, initially laid out by T. Cubitt in the 1830s.
The Cloudesley estate was part of Barnsbury manor, and was also known as the Stonefield or Stoneyfield, or 14 Acres estate. The long, narrow site lay between the Back Road and Thornhill Road - that bordered the Thornhill estate on the west. In the early 16th century it had been owned by Sir Cloudesley who, dying in 1517, left an enigmatic will making generous donations to the parish but decreeing, rather significantly, that the priest pray thrice "for my sowle and all Christen sowles" and that a De Profundis be said for his soul with every mass. His wife had been exorcised to keep the peace, 1517. .His body was popularly believed to lie disturbed in his grave, and described 'The Islington Ghost", in 1760 the profits were £60, two centuries later they had risen to nearly £10,000 and in the 19th century the parish's tenant of the estate was the rich local dairy Samuel Rhodes. In 1811 an Act was passed enabling the trustees to grant building leases. The trustees got as far as laying the drainage, at a cost of £1,159.18.11, and making a plan for building on the estate. In 1937 the bulk of the estate was auctioned, The rents were not enough to cover maintenance or improvement costs, and in the 1970s the trustees sold several long leaseholds with repairing covenants, since when upkeep on the estate as a whole has greatly improved and the remaining houses have been upgraded with changes in tenancies.
Long street bisecting the square. When the church was built this street was treated separately as Stonefield and Cloudesley Streets, with two lateral arms linked the square with Liverpool and Cloudesley Roads. Houses clearly divided into pairs in recessed bays. has some nice basement area gardens
Humble service road. The first to be built on the Milner-Gibson estate between 1829 and 1836
Part of Frog Lane old road from London to Highbury.