this post is not finished and not edted or checked
Allfarthing part of Allfarthing Manor, development round railway, name of the wife of the owner of the manor. Preserves the name of the old manor of Allfarthing or Half Farthing as it is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816. Earlier ‘Elverding’ c.1230, ‘Alferthyng’ 1268, ‘Halfefarthing’ 1544, that is 'division of an estate consisting of half a fourth part', from Old English ‘healf’ and ‘fiorfhing’.
Elm Lodge. Bought in 1868 by Robert Davis who built a new house there called Earlsfield after his wife’s maiden name. Rebuilt as a school in 1908 then became children’s home and then a boy’s remand hostel. Closed 1981 and converted into flats.
Huguenot Cemetery Mount Nod, , Hatters rabbit fur hats, cardinals hats. Monuments of 1687 and after, including table tombs to Peter Paggen 1720 of Wandsworth Manor House and John Gilham 1728.
123 early c 18 with carved wood doorcase with open pediment.
174 of c 1760 Listed Grade II*,
176 Listed Grade II* House built c 1736.
United Reformed Church. Listed Grade II. Designed by John G. Stapleton and begun in 1859.
County House offices of London Electricity Board. Board works 1888 taken over by WBC and then the London County Council;
Clocktower, 1852 by Philip Hendial, RA. Very conspicuous, f.28.3.1788 and suggested by George IV's dentist. Cllr. Bartholomew Ruspin. Was at St.George's Fields. Alexandra Lay was the princess. Opened 12.3.9l. Funds raised by festival at Royal Albert Hall 1888.
All Saints Church, RC, 1630 tower, 1729/81 rebuilt 1841, pulpit, plate, monuments
45 National Book Council, Book House formerly Wandsworth District Board of Works Office. These Italianate brick and stone offices, with a handsome central cupola. Were built in 1884 to the designs of J. Newton Dunn and used by succeeding authorities until 1937. Book House. To promote books,
St.Peter's Hospital, Fishmongers' almshouses from Newington Butts
135 Royal Oak
147 Two Brewers
Varied housing because this was a ‘specimen’ road with builders invited to build sample houses.
35 home of Paul Theroux
St.Ann. A Pepperpot Commissioners' church of 1820-4, by Robert Smirke. The only classical early c 19 church in the borough, . When the church was first built it stood right on the edge of the new suburbs spreading up the hill from the High Street. Stood alone in the fields when it was built. When it was consecrated there was a big row over the churchyard fence, therefore never consecrated and no burials there. Parish church in 1850.
This is the name of one of the Bolingbroke family - Marie Claire des Champs de Marcilly, who was became the mistress, and then the second wife, of Henry St John, second Viscount Bolingbroke.
Grand Theatre. Listed Grade II. Theatre built 1900.
Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum. Built as school for orphaned daughters of servicemen, 1857-9 I Rhode Hawkins. Statue of St George and the Dragon. Separate chapel. Queen Victoria laid foundation stone in 1857, evacuated 1939, never came back, raised by subs, £200,000 55 acres bit. Scottish Baronial style Crimean war orphanage. In the First World War it was a Hospital and training college in 2nd World War actually the MI5 interrogation centre. Now workshops, restaurant and flats.The decorated central hall is a feature.
Spencer Park,secondary county BYS school 1957. intake from Honeywell secondary school, Wandsworth secondary technical school AND schools in Lavender Hill and Earlsfield. iT USED TGE Royal Victoria Patriotic Buildings sold to the LCCi in 1952 when new concrete block buildigs added. moved out of the new byuldings 1976 as old ones unsafe, closed in 1986.
St.Mary Magdalene 1887-8 by B. E. Ferrey, brick, Chancel and aisle added by Cole & Adams 1906.
Surrey Iron Railway rail found there now in Science Museum
Library 1898 bequest Rind
Fitzhugh Estate, 1953-5 by the L.C.C. job architect Oliver Cox. An extreme example of the Roehampton principle of retaining the maximum amount of trees and views: five eleven-storey point blocks of Alton East type, i.e. of the humane, pre-brutalist period, no low buildings at all.
A small group of pretty houses of the early c.19.
Friendless Boys Home
162 St.John’s Therapy Centre. Community health building around two courtyards. Bushow Henley 2006.
St. John's Church built in 1957 on the site of an earlier church, at which Donald Soper's father was Sunday School superintendent.
FitzHugh Estate, 1955, London County Council housing
15 BEC Business Books
129 Lloyd George
Wandsworth Common Royal Masonic Institution for Girls
345 County Arms
Windpump. hexagonal weather boarded. Now without sails and with a cap of the 1970s. It had Patent sails and a fantail. It was built in 1837 to restore a water supply disrupted by the adjacent railway cutting. it drained the London & South Western Railway cutting. used for pumping water for the ornamental lake on the common. Closed when the lake was filled in and the cutting was widened When the area was taken over by the local authority Lord Spencer kept a bit north of the Railway - water called Black Sea and 13 islands. Lake and mill built by Wilson of Price's Candles who lived at Black Sea House. One island for each child. Filled in in 1899. Spencer Park on the site. The windmill is also said to be part of the pumping station for the iron railway