London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post has not been checked and edited
Post to the west Walham Green Fulham
Cremorne Gardens was the garage for the Red Rover Bus. Co. until 1920s 1977 filling
station VP now in Aylesbury only had one vehicle in London. Gardens opened by
the council in 1982.on part of the old pleasure grounds.
Beaufort House, reputed to be the site of the house of Sir Thomas More,who bought an estate in Chelsea in 1520, and lived
hereafter his resignation
from the Chancellorship in 1552. The actual site is in doubt but Beaufort
House, which faced Battersea Bridge, is themost
generally accepted site. Formerly the mansion of the Duke of Beaufort, it was
purchased in 1736 by Sir Hans Sloane for £2.500 at a publicsale, and was pulled down in 1740. It was laid out in
1766 after Beaufort House had been demolished. Rebuilt in 20th, and consists largely of blocks of artisans', dwellings facedwith red brick.
St Thomas More Buildings most
prominent buildings today the first new housing built by the borough, five
hefty blocks of flats, 1903-4 by Joseph &Smithem.
Contemporary red brick terraces
opposite built for better-off artisans by the Metropolitan Industrial Dwellings
114 General Gordon
20 Morgan 280
lived here in the 1820s
Diocesan training college
32 Chelsea Ram
enclave of pure modernism
24 by Casson Gander Partnership, 1963,
by C.J.G.Gut, 1975, clad in
reflecting vitreous panels and full of the progressive middle-class urban spirit of Le Corbusier.
Called because of gravel cast up from the river.Something between a chalk wharf and a gravel
bank. ‘Caellchyth’ 767, ‘Celchyth’
789in Anglo-Saxon charters, ‘Chelched’
1086 in the Domesday Book, ‘Chelchuthe’ 1300, ‘Chelsey’ 1556, that is probably
-landing place for chalk from old English ‘ceaic’ - perhaps influenced by an
i-mutated - 'chalk place' and ‘hyth’. The spelling ‘Ca-Kchyth’ suggests early
rationalization and confusion with a different word. Old English ‘cxlic’ -
'cup, chalice'. Chalk, much valued as a commodity in early times for increasing
crop yields as well as for building and limeburning, was probably shipped up
the Thames from Chalk near Gravesend then unloaded and transported for use on
the clayey Middlesex fields as well as in the City.There was formerly a hamlet called Little
Chelsea marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822 and recorded as ‘Little
Chelcy’ in 1655 at the west side of the parish on the Fulham Road.Farmland until the
Note on GLC development and proposal for road alongside
the railway, Grade II ecology site
Pier private new
Chelsea Park Gardens
Named for the park, which was once there. Part of More
estate. Part of Chelsea Vestry Road. 1885/83 John Bunyan
A modestly picturesque redevelopment
on part of the Sloane Stanley estate with groups of small houses in grey and
red brick with a variety of gables and tiled mansards, begun in 1913 but mostly
built in 1923-8, by E. F. M. Elms and Sydney Jupp
Called because of gravel cast up from the river
The Gateway, Chelsea
Many houseboats moored.
Chelsea Yacht and Boat Company.
Went from Kensal Green to Chelsea Creek canalised 1842.
Also called Bull Creek from parallel Bull Alley. On the
line of the railway. On the south side creek waters still there. Bridge side
Railway Bridge over the culverted part of the creek. Vertical embankment
decreases in height to less than 1 meter and vegetation and herons. George Stephenson
wanted to make it a freight rail/barge interchange. Line built and worked from
1844. Connection to London & Birmingham.
from 1828, when Counter’s Creek, a former tidal estuary of the Thames, was made
navigable.By 1836 it had proved unprofitable and was sold to the
Birmingham and Great Western Railways, and in 1859 it was finally filled in to make way for the West London extension
streets between Lots Road, King's Road, and CheyneWalk built upon the site of Cremorne Gardens, which
untilclosed in 1877 was one
of London's principal summer pleasure resorts.
Many houses have been destroyed by bombing. Chelsea Boroughcouncil developing a new housing estate.
Estate originally Chelsea Farm, and in 1751 bought by the Dowager Countess of
Exeter. . Devolved in 1803 to Viscount Cremorne. Grounds opened to the public,
opened as a pleasure garden. Covered sixteen acres and much livelier than Vauxhall even on its most brilliant
nights, and splendid displays of
were given here. Amongst other attractions were a theatre, circus, an outdoor orchestra, grottoes, and dining-hall.1845 numerous balloon ascents were made by Mr. and
Mrs. Green. A later attempt at aerial navigation by a Mr. de Groof resulted in disaster, for when the apparatus
was suspended beneaththe car of a balloon,
and the machine was liberated, it immediately collapsed owing to some defect in
its construction, and fell to the groundwith
a terrible crash, instantly killing its unfortunate occupant
1982. Re-erected here is the fine white-painted wrought-iron gateway withthe royal arms that stood at the King's Road end of
the originalgardens, which
belonged to Lord Cremorne's house and wereopen
as a public pleasure ground between 1845 and 1877.
Features in films 'Morgan’.
Edith was Günter’s daughter who died in childhood
102 Mick Jagger, Keith and Brian shared a flat
in this mdistrict have been
destroyed or damaged in the blitz of 1940
St.Mark's College, Neo.Georgian, 1910
8 where Alfred
Gilbert made Eros
76 The Avenue.
Group of 15 artists studios in the late 19th
77 Joseph.Became the Conran first Habitat store in
81 Michelin Tyre Depot with painted walls and tiles 1911. Offices above. The
Michelin building was designed by F. Espinasse. It was begun in 1905 and
further extended in 1910. The Company's merchandise was wittily advertised by
the architectural motifs on the motoring theme with cupolas resembling piles of
tyres, motor-car wheels in the pediments and tiled illustrations of cars and
bicycles decorating the pillars. Even though the Michelin Man no longer adorns
the top of the main window, his origins are clearly implicit in the rest of the
decor that survives. Bedford Lemere, 1910. Bibendum restaurant opened here.
Gunter Estate pastry cook own house called Currant Jelly
Hall. Most street names in the area called after his estates in Yorkshire.
369, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital developed on the site of St.Stephen's Hospital founded at 1876. It
was called St. George's Union Infirmary for the school of St.George's and
St.Mary's, Wanstead. balloons put on walls inside. changed to St.Stephen's by
Enid Blyton's husband ,who worked at the hospital. transferred to London County
Council from Westminster Board of Guardians
Shellmex Garage, This was a large servicing station built in
the early 1920s with room for a great variety of vehicles as well as pieces of
equipment like the motor-repair stand shown in the foreground. The extensive
skylights ensured the maximum of natural daylight. Notices to the staff begged
them not to smoke and to 'Be Clean'.
in this mdistrict have been
destroyed or damaged in the blitz of 1940,
7 home of George
Meredith OM 1828-1909 'poet and novelist lived here' . Meredith was born in
Portsmouth and educated in Germany. In London he became a solicitor before
turning his hand to writing Plaque erected 1976.
Hollywood Arms splendid pub of 1865a
fanciful Gothic building in the manner of RedcliffeSquare, probably by the Godwins;
8 Hollywood Bookshop
Was one of the boundaries of the College of St.Luke and
St.John, Hortense was a Duchess of Mazarin
Sloane School, neo-Georgian, 1908
in this mdistrict have been
destroyed or damaged in the blitz of 1940
Lutheran Chapel German church until 1WW when it was closed
and became spiritualist church. Original German foundation stone still there
between Arthur Street and CarlyleSquare was site of
King's Parade. Built 1810 on site of farmhouse where in 1771 where following a
robbery and murder.Which led to Jews in
Chelsea being targets of violence.
Past the World's
End Tavern is the bridge over the West London Railway, which forms the dividing
line between Chelsea and Fulham.The
West London Railway follows the track of the former Kensington Canal,
The Porticos. An earlier effort at
improved working-class housing now very select, but originally built in 1885 by
Elijah Hoole for the Chelsea Park Dwellings Company as sixty labourers'
dwellings, complete with central garden, 'in rural style ... to avoid the
barrack-like appearance too common in industrial dwellings' . Two three-storey
ranges, the one to the street conspicuously picturesque (though hardly rural),
with shop below giant red brick Gothic arches, tile hanging and patterned
355, a custard-coloured tower built
as council flats by Chamberlain Powell 1969, revamped by Fitch &• Co. in
1988 as private flats with new top floor and new cladding to hide the
problematic load bearingbrickwork
372 La Bersagliera. Features in films
'’Dracula AD 1972’ as
400, Kings House, of c.1900, looks
cheerful with brick and stone chequer upper floor,
Water Rat, a sweet stuccoed pub,
Moravian Burial Ground. A large pair of gates
marks the entrance of what was once part of the grounds of Lindsey House. . The
trees are in a private garden, established around the former stables of
Beaufort House when Moravians occupied Lindsey House. Here the Countess of Huntingdon had a house, and the Moravians settled on
land bought in 1750 by James Hutton from Sir Hans Sloane. only the burial ground
remains, at the junction of the King's Road and Milman Street. It is divided
Moravian-fashion into four plots – for married men and women and single men and
women. Here lie Peter Bohler, Wesley's spiritual mentor during his search for
faith in 1738; James Hutton, bookseller and leader of the Fetter Lane Society;
and John Cennick, Wesley's first lay preacher, best remembered for his hymns.
But the flat stones are weathered and hard to decipher. This is the site of Sir
Thomas More's house, which later came into the hands of Sir Hans Sloane and was
demolished in 1740. Features in films '’The
Lion at World’s End’.
World's End. Effervescent, pub
rebuilt in 1897, which has happily survived the road-widening schemes, and
steps out with florid bows and corner turret
536 breaks the mid c 19 terraces
broken offices with flats behind, 1979 by Sir John Burnet Tait & Partners,
built on the site of a brewery. Their plain brick bulk uncomfortably at odds
with the quite elegantly detailed groups of stuccoed houses outliers of the
classier Gunter estate development
577 Imperial Pub.Haggard’s Brewery set up by Haggard
Brothers.City gents,for the pub.
Police Station. Was on the corner of
Milman’s Street. Now gone. Features in films '’Lost’, ‘Sapphire’, ‘Victim’.
siteof Chelsea & Fulham station.West London Extension Railway Station situated on thenorth
side of the famous Kings Road. Built in 1863, called
‘Chelsea’ Station although it is in Fulham. 1903 renamed ‘Chelsea and Fulham’ . Never busy and usually just used by Chelsea football crowds. In
October 1940 bombed and burnt out. crumbling remains of the northbound platform, flanked by a brick wall,erected around this time, bear silent testimony to a
completely different London.. Station remains still
left in the boundary wall of the new flats. Never reopened and flats on the
The main route through a neat grid of
A council development of 1954-8
(Chelsea Borough Engineer's Department), intended to be in keeping with Chelsea
traditions: mostly flats, including eight studios, but tactfully disguised as
Settlement which grew up in the 17th on the
road between Chelsea and the Bishop’s Palace at Fulham.The district to the north of King's Road, extending to
the West LondonRailway, was formerly
known as Little Chelsea. Until about 1860 it stillremained more or less a rural hamlet in its general
character. It commenced west of Chelsea Park, now Elm Park Gardens, and had its
centrein Fulham Road, at the
corner of Beaufort Street, leading to BatterseaBridge.
On 16 April
1765 Mr. James House Knight, of Walham Green,returning
home from London was robbed and murdered on the FulhamRoad in the vicinity of Little Chelsea. A reward of
£50 was offered forthe discovery of the
murderers, and on 7 July following two Chelsea pensioners were committed to
prison charged with the murder on the evidence of their accomplice, another
Chelsea pensioner, whom they hadthreatened to kill as
the result of a quarrel which took place between them.The accused were tried, found guilty, hanged
Area called the 'Lots' 'Lots' of ground for people called
this station supplied electricity for London Transport railways in the central
London area. When it first built in 1904 it was the largest power station in
the world and the chimneys the tallest in Europe.The original plant had Babcock & Wilcox
water tube boilers on the first and second floors, unusual in England then.they supplied steam to 10
Westinghouse-Parsons turbines driving 5phase generators the largest sets built
at the time.The building has a steel
frame filled with terracotta and brick. American Charles T. Yerkes was
responsible setting this station up to supply power to the Metropolitan and
District Railway, the Baker Street & Waterloo, Charing Cross, Euston &
Hampstead and Great Northern & Piccadilly tubes and the Brompton Railway,
also the Central London Railway in emergency. New plant was installed in the
early 1960's, consisted of 6 Babcox & Wilcox superheater boilers the first
of their type commissioned in this country.Cooling water is drawn from the Thames where flat fish testify to the
purity of the Thames. Water to make up losses in the recycling system is
obtained from an artesian well. The 1935 control room was situated over-
looking the turbine hall and this room maintained much of its original
appearance. the present day control room is in a separate building. Lost two
chimneys in 1960s.
Gates to site of Cremorne Gardens closed 1877. Originally
called Chelsea Farm. Owned by Duchess of Exeter and then Viscount Cremorne.
Balloon ascents, 1845, by Green and Groof, who was killed.
Kensington destructor near the disposal works, 1894.
Salopian Wharf, 1880. Refuse Disposal Co. sorting and barging Kensington and
Chelsea waste. All refuse sorted and sold - sieved in a cylinder and then
sorted but smells from the chimney.
Lots Road Dock, Chelsea Canal, 1900s
114 Lots Road Pub and Dining was previously the Ferrett
and Firkin in a Balloon Up the Creek and before that Balloon Tavern because if
balloons which went from there in 1859.Features in films 'Castaway’
116 Features in films 'The
Chelsea Wharf. Is an example of
revived old warehouse buildings and was converted in 1979
Mallord is the name used by Turner
5, 6 two taller houses. Bays with
integral garage, is by W. D. Caroe, 1912, for Pern Morris of Elm Park Gardens a
benefactor of St Peter, Cranleigh intended at first for his coachman.
13 home of
A.A.Milne when it was no 11. Here, he wrote most of his works. Plaque erected
1979. Christopher Robin was born there. 28 built
for Augustus John in 1913.the studio at
the back was concealed behind a trim Dutch vernacular front.. Plaque erected 1981. Later the home of Gracie Fields
Mallord House is a studio house of
1911 for Cecil Hunt by Ralph Knott, the architect of County Hall, strikingly
austere but well detailed version of brick vernacular in the Lutyens tradition;
entrance recessed behind a round-headed brick arch with massive keystone, a
shallow oriel above, very simple casement windows flush with the wall,
clustered brick stacks. The punning cast-iron frieze of a hunting scene between
the windows is by G. P. Bankart.
St.George's Home. TB Hospital Transferred from
Metropolitan Asylums Board to London County Council
Development in a low-key 'artistic'
manner with small houses in an Arts and Crafts or neo- Georgian idiom by a
variety of architects. The street frontages are deliberately varied in their
materials, with plentiful use of the projecting bays and wooden door cases that
required special exemption from the London Building Acts
2-4. as 14-16
3 1912 was the home of Leonard
5 1913 home of the Danish designer
Arild Rosencrantz, an odd, mannered stripped classical design in brick, with a
pair of stone door cases
14-16 tone set by the sequence of
1913 by Alfred Cox and F. E. Williams where the dominant motifs are again grey
and red brick, tiled dormers, and canted bays with sash- windows
Was Lovers Walk. Goat in Boots
An earlier c19 group remains
St Andrew with St John a replacement of an older chapel
9 Stanley Studios. Features in films 'Personal Services’.
Salvadors. Features in films 'Personal Services’.
Quieter, stuccoed after 1836.
to the intimacy of the old village, regular stucco-trimmed terraces three
balanced groups with raised centres, the westernmost of the polite suburban
squares off King's Road
Plans of the 1850s Stanley Terrace 1840. Never finished -
this was part of a Georgian tradition.
Sanford Manor House in works 17th Walnut Trees, stairs and
gates. Nell 1762 gunpowder manufacture and manufacture of saltpetre. Then 1780
pottery crucibles by Ruell. Then a cloth manufactory
Resumed at Chelsea
Gate on the King's Road to keep it for the King in the
Back end of the Parish of Fulham. Tiny village in Tudor
Called sometimes Little Chelsea Bridge. Built 1762 by the
Kensington turnpike trust. Called Bull Bridge after the pub
New housing developments. Varied. Landmark of St Mary's
church and view marred by blocks of flats behind. Old Swan Pub and draw dock
1985 by Moxley & Frank introduce a spare post-modemnote; orange brick, with deep eaves on thin brackets.
Gates of Watney's Brewery, original gates of Cremorne
Features in films 'I
Believe in You’.
54 Carlisle House. Features in films 'The Optimists’.
Part of the Sloane Stanley estate,
remained a secluded spot until the end of the c19, with a few detached houses,
popular with artists. Its redevelopment began c. 1909, when it was extended to
Elm Park Gardens,
1 de Morgan
2-8 a neo-Georgian block of flats
with canted bays by Elms and Jupp.
West side is mostly in grey and red
brick and dates from c. 1913;
9-11 dated 1912
27 is the most out-of-the-ordinary,
with a Venetian window in a jettied timber-framed wing projecting to the street
Russian Peasant's House
Vicarage Crescent BATTERSEA
Odells barge builders
Recreation ground. Managed by Vestry of Battersea
42 former vicarage memories of one of the greatest modern 'saints', Edward Adrian
Wilson, friend and companion of Captain Scott. but Wilson here from where he
ran the Caius College Mission and worked at the Boys' Club run by the Mission.
On the wall of the old Vicarage is a plaque in memory of Edward Wilson, put up then by the then London County
new Vicarage next
door was built in 1973. It is not a building of particular architectural merit.
Deralie House nineteenth century gate Royal Academy of
St.John's Estate 1931-4
Old Battersea House, originally the dower house to the manor and built by Sir Walter St
John as a wedding present for his wife Joanna. This imposing house, built in
the early years of the 18th century, can be visited by appointment. It has been
lovingly restored by the Forbes family of America, for it was in a sad state of
disrepair when the last owner, Mrs Stirling, died.
Mentioned by Congreve. A bit dubious. Sign of broken globe
and fire and smoke. Charles II tea gardens, bowls. By side of Hob Lane old
engravings. Different from now.
Development. Major landmark from the river. 742 homes and
8 acres open space, shops, schools etc. tried to get it human in appearance.1977
destroyed an old part of Chelsea which had been called World's End. .
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n