Walham Green - Fulham
Post to the north Earls Court
Post to the east Chelsea Lots Road
Post to the south Parsons Green
Post to the west Fulham - Lillie Road
St Oswald. The parish of Saint Oswald was formed in 1899, following the success of Lillie Road Mission after 1884. The church was demolished in 1974. There is now housing on the site
This was Princes Mews in the late 19th
London Electricity Board Offices and Workshops, 1950s. This included the Fulham Meter Station.
23 Fulham Refuge for Friendless Girls. A Catholic institution for friendless or fallen women under 30.
Corporation Depot. This was on the site of a terrace destroyed in Second World War bombing. The site is now housing.
1 T. B. Ayshford. Coach and Cart Maker, and Coach and Cart Wheelwright and Smith, and Patentee of Improvements in Omnibuses, as well as Builder of Patent Omnibuses and other Carriages. They were there in 1858. In 1903 it was the Coupe Co. Patent wheel work.
49a Britannia Studios. This was home to a number of small electrical firms, Lessa Electrical Co.1950, The Flairline Organisation, 1950. Now up-market housing.
69a Fulham Club and Institute. Traditional working men's club with two darts teams it houses, In the 1890s this was the Liberal club . It has recently been rebuilt to include flats.
1-10 Greville Place. This is the site of Harwood Primary School. On this site the school dated from 1928. In 1942 the building was shared with the Londoners' Meals Service, which maintained a public restaurant there until 1947. The school closed in 1991, the premises in Britannia Road were demolished and the site was developed for housing.
This is an up-market housing development on the site of part of the College of St.Mark and St.John. Only a corner of the road, and of the College site are in this square.
Dan Leno Walk
Infill development from 1970s/80s. Named for ‘the funniest man in the world’.
BIMM. This is a contemporary music college.It began in 1983 as the Tech Music School London which in 2010 by the BIMM Group of music colleges.Barclay House is a five-storey building with recording studios, mac labs, post-production suites, rehearsal studios, lecture rooms, mixing rooms, performance spaces and teaching rooms.
House. This was built on the site of bomb damaged houses in 1947 by Sir Robert MacAlpine and son Ltd
for the Metropolitan Borough of Fulham Electricity Department.
Christian Fellowship , Barclay Hall. Set up as a Mission and School in the 1890s Barclay Hall is a two storey building, with semi-basement, with “MISSION AND SCHOOLROOM” and “BARCLAY HALL” signed above the door. It appears to have been, or maybe still be, involved with the London City Mission.
Welsh Presbyterian Church. This has been The Haven (breast cancer charity) since 2000. The church dated from the 1890s and was closed in 1988.
23 Farm Lane Care Home
72 Stewart’s garages. The site was occupied by market gardens in 1869-74. This was built in 1880 by the London Road Car Company as their depot. The Company was one of the largest proprietors of horse-drawn buses in London .It was also one of the largest and finest horse stables in London and contained two-storey stables that were ranged around a quadrangle, where 700 horses lived in about 1890. The London General Omnibus Company (LGOC) took over the premises in 1909, and left in 1923. There appears to have been a V1 adjacent in 1944. By 1971 it was a 'Catering Depot'. Plaque to this is shown on building
10l Rainsborough Square. This was the Farm Lane Motor Works. This was the Omega Bus Co. from 1901-05. 10 horse bus of Berg. Co. and other buses. Motor repairs and engineering 1970s. Sign works 1970s. Now a modern housing development and trading estate. Plaque to this is shown on building
Lyons horse stables
London Road Car Co between there and Seagrave Road
Tilbury’s mat and rope works
78 Laundry rund the back up the end
Joinery works behind the houses
Weavers arms 1960s
Farm Lane flats, GLC 1975 using a Dutch prefanricated system
Troughton and Young
Tyrad lighting founded in 1897 and closed in 1988.
Was previously Honey Lane
Shopping centre of Walham Green. The side of Walham Green became Fulham Broadway but there is little to commend in the c19 and c20 medley, apart from the Town Hall of 1888 and some public buildings along North End Road
George. Grand Italianate mid c 19
Sculpture by Philip King, 1981, is hardly a visual asset.
Shopping development a more dignified addition to the townscape 1987 by Renton Howard Wood Levin, in a vaguely Venetian palazzo style, yellow brick with red trimmings.
White Hart from 1532.
Kings Head from 1680.
Cock from 1713.
Pond Head 1606
Brewery in 1796 called the Swan and the Swan Pub was its outlet.
Town Hall. 1880-90 ext. l904. Edwards 1888. Many of London so called vestry halls and town halls were the products of so called bad competitions'. But perhaps none more so than Fulham Town Hall, which was plagued by virtually every iniquity imaginable vagueness of instructions, Insufficiency of funds, delayed notification of results overruling of the assessor. And accusations of outright unfairness jobbery and nepotism. The assessor’s choice of design selected from some 400 drawings submitted by 63 architects was’ overturned by the vestry committee which selected less extravagant designs by George Edward's. Built in 1899 for twice the original stipulated sum the Classic Renaissance' detailing was externally largely restricted to the Fulham Road frontage, where London stocks are faced with Portland stone. Internally the building boasts a magnificently adorned large hall on the first floor approached by a grand double return principal staircase. A five-bay full blooded Baroque extension of 1904-5 by the borough engineer Francis Wood added to the ensemble of beautifully crafted interior spaces many with Arts & Crafts details. Further perfunctory additions of 1934 and 1949 by respectively Walter Cave and J. Pritchard Lovell, complicate what becomes a rather entangled assemblage of buildings.
Grenville Theatre f. Dan Leno 1898 now closed. In the 1950s owned by ITV
Walham Green Court
Road from London to Fulham mentioned in 1372 and became a proper highway in 1410 after the Bishop built Stamford Bridge. It goes to the Bishop’s Palace. 15th road. Earlier called Kings Highway and London Road. Part of the Coaching road to Portsmouth. Winds towards Chelsea with a few genteel mid c19 terraces. It ran through open fields until the mid-18th when speculative builders moved in. Street lighting from 1806 and paving from the 1840s.
456 Celtic private bus in 1924 probably at the back of Garden Row. Once LGOC stables.
62 Middleton building 19l0.
404b Italian Village
410-416 plaque to builder of Italian Village. Behind is hidden the so-called 'Italian Village', picturesque low pantiled buildings created around his workshops in the 1920S by the sculptor Mario Manenti.
448 Sir Oswald Stoll Foundation. Mansions main intrusion on the north side is this long undistinguished Baroque frontage. 1917-23 by Inigo R. Tasker, with housing behind for disabled ex-servicemen.
469 Features in film 'Performance’.
480-4 494-504 old
Fulham Fire Station 1896 L.C.C
490-2 Old Red Lion pub with old red lion on it
583 Cinematographic Theatre. Small cinema, built c 1914, shared space with a surveyor's office. It appeared to hark back to the old 'penny-gaff although it would have been more advanced.
596 Marist Convent 1896
623 George’s Snack Bar.
Fulham Broadway Station. 1st March 1880. Between West Brompton and Parsons Green on the District Line to Wimbledon. On the Metropolitan District Railway. Opened as ‘Walham Green’ on the site of Fulham Road tollgate by the Metropolitan Railway. Built in a cutting with an A shaped overall roof of glass with iron built over blind arched walls. In 1910 the station was rebuilt by the District Line architect with a street level building designed by Harry Wharton Ford with a new entrance and booking office to accommodate crowds for the newly built Stamford Bridge stadium. It is now listed Grade II. In 1952 the name was changed to ‘Fulham Broadway’ after representations from Fulham who said that one station in the Borough ought to be called Fulham something. Served the Stamford Bridge Ground, which was leased in 1876 to the London Athletic Club and Athletic Grounds. New booking hall and concourse, with extra exits for Stamford Bridge. There are 10 booking windows so that they could issue 120 tickets a minute. In 2003 a new station was opened within the adjacent shopping centre with the motto "Life Begins at Fulham Broadway". The centre was built above what were the open-air sections of the platforms and the station facilities were improved to for the management of football crowds. The old station building was refurbished and is occupied by a restaurant. It retains many of the original station signs and architectural features.
Gas Board showrooms.
Purser’s Cross. Mansion house south of Fulham Road, west of Walham Green. 1765 Home of John Ord, and afterwards of Lord Ravensworth. It contained a curious garden planted and laid out by Mr. John Ord; this garden produced some of the finest specimens of trees in the kingdom. Visited by Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort in 1840, after which its name was changed for some unknown reason to Percy Cross. John Ord was Chief Baron of the Court of Exchequer in Scotland, Master in Chancery, and M.P. for Midhurst.
Chelsea and Fulham station 2nd March 1863. West London Extension Railway On the north side of Fulham Road entrance on the north east side of Wandon Road. Called ‘Chelsea’ Station although it is in Fulham. In 1903 it was renamed ‘Chelsea and Fulham’ – but it was never busy and usually just used by Chelsea football crowds. In 1940 closed and in that October it was bombed and burnt out. The buildings were demolished in the 1950s. The platforms may still be there and the crumbling remains of the north bound platform, flanked by a brick wall. It was never reopened and there are flats on the site but station remains are still left in the boundary wall of the new flats.
Halford Road Schools
Cricket ground shown in the 1890s the junction with Farm Lane. This was Captain James’s Field. It may in fact have been a football ground which was used by the Stanley Football Club
Harwood Road School demolished.
Was previously Honey Lane.
St. Johns Church 1827
North of Kings Road filled in 1850s. It Forms the dividing line between Chelsea and Fulham. The canal, which was two and a quarter miles long was opened on 12 August 1828, and was a hundred feet wide and capable of affording a passage for craft up to a hundred tons burden. It was built at a cost of £40,000 to convey water to Kensington and its income from wharfs, tonnage, etc., was estimated at £2,500 per annum. Similarly the canal was constructed in 1724 by the Chelsea Waterworks Company from the Thames near Ranelagh to Pimlico, to provide water to Westminster, Chelsea, and the West End of London. This canal was abolished to make way for Victoria Station.
Site of lock to the north of West Cromwell Road. Lock over the railway bridge facing the railway near junction of West Cromwell Road and Warwick Road. Kensington Rifle Club.
Called after Sir John Lillie local landowner when the road was built. The street-line disintegrates into ill-thought-out wasteland
Two stately pairs of stuccoed villas of c. 1840 one with a plaque with the incongruous name Hermitage Cottages
Ramada Inn bulky concrete
Peabody Fulham Estate c. 1900, five-storey blocks, ultra-plain apart from terracotta doorways.
Lillie Bridge Depot Trainstaff Mess.
Lillie Bridge Signal Overhaul Shop
Lillie Bridge Stores
Lillie Bridge Met Railway Gas Works. Pipeline to Hammersmith.
Area developed 1850s and 60s by freeholder Percival Maxwell who came from Moore Park County Waterford. Hence street names Percival Road, Maxwell Road Moore Park Road and Waterford Road. .
St.James Church Hall
Mark II version c. 1970 of the borough's experimental deck access housing by Higgins, Ney & Partners starker and more cost-conscious than its prototype.
St.James 1869 nice stained glass inside.
Victorian iron railings
1-17 4 storey stucco mansions, iron work
Lord Roberts Mews. Private housing with the artful arched features and fancy brickwork favoured a decade later Michael Brown Associates, 1983.
Terrace of houses stepped at 45o
11 Features in film 'Melody’.
North End. Named after the old hamlet of ‘Northend’ 1459, ‘North End’ 1822, 'northern district in the parish of Fulham)', from Middle English ‘north’ and ‘end’. Leads to Lillie Road and West Kensington. North End, and consisted of a line of residences extending for more than a mile from Walham Green Church to Hammersmith. Market gardens skirted both sides of the road, with very old cottages. Much of it was rebuilt when quantity not quality was the aim in public housing. It is Fulham's busiest shopping centre and includes one of London's most lively street markets.
Volunteers' Pub is river volunteers who met at Beaufort House
368 Fulham Baths. With two deep wells for water and a rifle range. 1900-1902. demolished in the early 1980s. It was occupied and run by campaigners for a time, but the only result of their endeavours was the preservation of the grade II listed façade.
Princess Beatrice Hospital 1834.
St.John's Church l827. Wholly devoid of mystery. 1827. Built after the design of Mr. Taylor upon a filled-up pond. The foundation-stone was laid on 1 January 1827, and the church was consecrated by the Bishop of London on 14 August 1828.
Butchers Almshouses 1840. Foundation-stone laid by Lord Ravensworth on 1 July 1840.
Methodist New Connection
West London County Court
Waitrose on the site of the ABC Cinema.
A more appealing street developed c. 1900-4 with model housing for the Gunter estate by the estate's surveyor, Walter Cave: low terraces and cottage flats in a simple Arts and Crafts style: striped quoins, casement windows.
40 St Oswald’s Studios by Cave, picturesque formerly the vicarage for the demolished St Oswald's, with narrow sash-windows in the manner of Philip Webb.
District Line south from West Brompton built by the Metropolitan Railway in 1880. Leaving the south end of West Brompton station it goes below the West London Railway line at first in a cutting.
The West London Railway follows the track of the former Kensington Canal. The extension to Chelsea and Battersea, which involved the filling up of the old Kensington Canal, was not completed until 2 March 1865.
Lane. It connected the main Fulham Road with King's Road, by
the side of the former Kensington Canal, now covered by the West London
Chelsea Pensioner hanged and gibbeted there in 1765. In those positions the bodies of the murderers hung in chains for
10 Dobson essayist
Sand Ford market gardens.
Football ground. Market gardens, farm in l905
London orartry school
Site of Western Fever Hospital. Built as a smallpox hospital in 1867. Disliked the name and locally unpopular. 1883 renamed. And became general fever hospital
LNWR sidings site built on. North Western 'Super D' 0-8-Os simmering here between duties around 1959/60.
ore appealing street developed c. 1900-4 with model housing for the Gunter estate by the estate's surveyor, Walter Cave: low terraces and cottage flats in a simple Arts and Crafts style: striped quoins, casement windows.
Jolly Maltster. Perkier gabled pub of 1900 by Nowell Parr & Kates tucked away
The Victorian centre of Fulham developed at Waltham Green which was once a hamlet around a green on the Fulham Road. It was then a plot of ground on the north side of Fulham Road – a Green triangle between Vanston Place, Jordan Place and Fulham Broadway upon which donkeys used to graze and children played cricket. In the 17th there were stocks and a whipping post, with a pond. .. Prior to 1688 it was known as Wansdon Green, this name being derived from the Manor of Wendon. Called ‘Wendenegrene’ in 1386, ‘Wendenesgrene’ 1397. In 1483 called ‘Wandagrene’ – a personal name -‘Wanam Grene’ 1546, ‘Wallam Green’ 1710, that is 'village green associated with a family called ‘(de) Wenden’; from Middle English ‘grene’. A family of this name is recorded in the parish of Fulham from the 13th century; they probably came from Wendens -earlier ‘Wendene’ "the winding valley' - in Essex.
65 Chelsea Village Complex – was the Chelsea football ground. Stamford Bridge.
Embankments made of spoil from the tube
An attractively complete street of 1862, with stuccoed terraces facing trim paired villas with side entrances, and a former Nonconformist church of the same period.
United Methodist Free Church
A small pocket of housing built on railway land in 1958-60 by Bridgewater & Shepheard; an eleven-storey tower and lower buildings, with eight artists' studios.
3-4 secluded cottages, road raised when railway built
Pleasant minor mid Victorian street, with stucco-trimmed terraces
Gasworks Restaurant 85-87 pub turned into a folly
Clare Mews. Another small infill of the 1980s.
West Brompton Cemetery. Unkempt. Over-managed by MSC & herbicide. Grassland etc. West London and Westminster Cemetery Co. 1840. 40 acres with many memorials. Benjamin Baud 1840.
West Gate Terrace
Buildings to see in Fulham and Hammersmith
Clunn. The Face of London
Hasker. The Place which is called Fulanham
Hillman & Trench. London Under London
London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. Web site
Pevsner & Cherry. London North West
Smythe. City Wildspace