London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Primary school old 1855
National School ext. 1871 old country school
6 Kropotkin house called
Voda after escape signal from Peter Paul Fortress
Silverwood by R. A. Barber, 1958, first two progressive
house ofthe 1950s, attributed to Newton.
by Ivor Beresford, like Silverwood with vertical cedar boarding and much glass.
Sometimes called ‘the perfect house.’
Stillness, 1934 byGilbert Booth of the International Style of the 1930s,
Better by far by Godfrey Samuel, 1934-5. The entrance side thefavourite Corbusian combination of a long
horizontal slit win-dow over a recessed
ground storey carried on pilotis; thegarden side generously glazed
by Niven Wigglesworth,1899
23 by Newton, 1904.
shops & houses in Sundridge Park damaged, also Sundridge Park Hotel &
Sundridge Park golf clubhouse. 1 killed, 6 injured. (5.25am)
Shops for Garden Estate
King's Meadow pleasure ground
Was a croquet lawn
Path beside the tennis
courts to humpback bridge; old right of way
Plaistow Hall was at the
end of it
Halls Farm. Big house 1929
Hollow Bottom Cottage plus
Prince Frederick was Prince Frederick’s Head. Ale
house from 1761 rebuilt 1890. only pub named for Poor Fred. Built on the site
of the former Nichol Brewery.
Quernmore Secondary School late c18 house , with no utilitarian additions. was Plaistow Lodge widened building. Statues and Coade stone figures,
ok. Amazing will, the intricacies of whosewill caused so much litigation that an Act
had to be passed toprevent anyone else
from making another like it. fabulously wealthy Peter
Thullusson - later banker to the French Revolution. In 1900 hole in the road
was found with a lot of good wine and a lacy coat. The
house was built as Plaistow Lodge. He boughtthe estate in 1777. His architect is not known but the style ofthe house points to Thomas Leverton Yellow
stock-bricklarge Venetian window. Statues in niches and Coadestone panels. Early c19 stoneporch with Greek Doric columns and
Lodge still there
The Gables, tile hung
Springhill, corner with
Cambridge Road, Plaistow Hall, 1896 bought by KCC as a school of domestic
economy Site of Sundridge farm, 1929 Sun Fire plaque
Bromley Bowling Club since
1888, was Lady Scott's Infant School
1829 lodge over the drive.
61-67 rat trap bond
Railway workers cottages
St. Mary's Church Institute
Plaistow Green made out of
grounds of Springhill but ancient site
St.Mary Plaistow, 1853/4.
Station.1878. Between Grove Park
and Bromley North on South Eastern Trains. Built by Bromley Direct
Railway/South Eastern Railway as a halt - a private station for Sir Edward
Scott, owner of Sundridge Park with ‘every show of reluctance'. It was a halt
with northbound with weather boarded shelters, and later, in 1896, brick
waiting room & a urinal. There was a footbridge & the usual South
Eastern Railway buildings..Opened as Plaistow or "Mr. Scott's
Station" and in 1891 it was renamed ‘Sundridge Park’. The original typical
clapboard building survives.
Path fron east of he station leads to a place called Tandys where it crosses the Quaggy
Cab road- short and cobbled.
Bromley Direct Railway left Grove Park in 1878 and curved
south on an embankment for a mile.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by