this post is not finished and not edted or checked
Streatham Pumping station. Built 1888 for Southwark and Vauxhall Water Co., Moorish Domes, and a well of 1,270ft but it has not pumped since 1957.
Ring Main Shaft. The new London water ring main passes under this site about 45 metres underground. Construction site and access shaft. The ring main connects to these shafts at a depth of 40m
Was site for council housing became nature reserve inside old railway sidings
Large terracotta-ornamented Edwardian houses. Pipistrelle bats have been recorded along here.
Old people’s sheltered Flats by Lambeth Architect's Department completed 1970, the same idea as in Leigham Court Road
Manor Park Estate. Between Mitcham Lane and Streatham Station, 1883 etc.,
Woodlands Estate, both largely by Frederick Wheeler, in a competent Queen Anne style
The old Streatham Fire Station was opened in Mitcham Lane in December 1903. After 1889 the London County Council took over responsibility for the design of fire stations and it is likely that their Fire Brigade architects, under the superintendence of Owen Fleming, designed this building. The design is in the very best Edwardian fire station tradition..Only the left hand-half of the original building survives, the right hand side of the station building was destroyed by an enemy bomb on 17th October 1940, which killed twelve firemen and seriously injured three others. Adjoining the ground floor on the right hand side there is a later replacement single storey fire engine garage. It was noted that the opening ceremony for the new station was interrupted by the Brigade's first emergency call to a fire at No. 149 New Park Road. The fire station was decommissioned in 1971 and it is now the South London Islamic Centre.
This part of Mitcham Lane is a row of late Victorian shops running along the top of the Green and which was formerly called The Crescent. Some alterations have taken place The date 1891 is recorded in the decorative plasterwork over one of the windows.
Manor Arms was built around 1920. The present building occupies the site of the lodge, coach-house and water tower of Manor Park House, a large mansion that used to stand by Streatham Green and gave its name to the public house. Roughly triangular in plan the pub fills the comer site at the junction of Mitcham Lane and Babington Road.
St.James. 1910 Baptist church. by F. Peck
Baptist Church. 1902-3 by G. & R. Baines, the usual brick and stone facade with turret.
Dixcote 1897 designed but not built by Voysey. Typical pebbledash garage hinges, steel trim on the windows
Crane Furzedown Cottage.
Old peoples flats behind much larger houses;
The Streatham postal sorting office in Prentis Road dramatic pediment and the Royal Coat of Arms.
South London Liberal Synagogue. Originally The Lady Tate Hall this building was opened in 1909 for use by the Streatham College for Girls. The hall, designed by Sidney Smith, was presented to the School by Sir Henry Tate and named after his wife. The school closed in 1933 and the hall became the Synagogue in 1938.
The remains of the Green at the fork of Mitcham Lane and Streatham High Road. Greens between Streatham and Tooting closed in 1794 and reopened by the vestry. LCC management
Streatham Green was once wasteland belonging to Tooting Bee Manor. Enclosed in 1794 by Lady Kymer the villagers were so infuriated that they petitioned the Duke of Bedford, The Lord of the Manor of Streatham and Tooting Bee, to force her to open it up again. Iron railings enclosed the Green a hundred years later.
The drinking fountain, designed by pre-Raphaelite painter and local resident William Dyce was moved, during the 1930'to Streatham Green white and red stone. erected by public subscription in 1862 as a tribute to Dyce.
The difference-m the levels of the roads on the east and west sides of the green give it a pronounced slope. It is now divided into four grassed plots, railed in, and intersected by paths with seats. The two lower plots are over underground air-raid shelters remaining from the Second World War.
National schools next church 1792 public subscription site but pump removed.
Streatham High Road
long curving parade of shops running down to The Broadway. Plaques in the brickwork record Rowsley J.W.R.
292 and further down Eagle House.
322 Damage caused to the buildings by the Zeppelin raid on Streatham in 1916 can still be seen today on the plaques record The Broadway as constructed in 1884 and built by Hill Bros. The name "Broadway" was abolished in 1891
324- 342 Streatham High Road and 1c -o 1g Gleneagle Road known as "The Triangle"
Alliance Bank by Frederick Wheeler imposing entrance and arched windows at street level. #
empty site, which formerly was occupied by the Streatham Town Hall.
Safeways stands on the site of the former Station Parade, a parade of Victorian single storey shops that were demolished in 1984 to make way for the supermarket built in 1985.
Streatham Station The station was originally built in 1868 and its entrance was by a small country lane leading off Streatham High Road. This survives today as Station Approach by the side of Safeways. . 1868. Between Tulse Hill and Tooting and also Mitcham Junction on Thameslink. Between Tulse Hill and Streatham Common on Southern Trains. Nice and cheerful
Formerly the estate of the Thrale family, brewers from Southwark who built a Georgian mansion here in 1740 known as Streatham Place demolished in 1863; their name survives in the street name Thrale Road.
Fayland Estate, 1950 London County Council housing
Tooting Bec Gardens
Church of English Martyrs opposite Parish church
Tooting Bec Lido. Built by Wandsworth Borough Council but site owned by the London County Council in 1906. Largest open air Art Deco swimming pool in Europe.
St Leonard's church hall faces Tooting Bee Gardens. On the left hand side of the entrance door a plaque records that the hall was erected as a memorial to John Richard Nicholl M.A. Hon. Canon of Rochester and Rector of Streatham from 1843 to 1904. The hall dates from 1907
the Glebe. This was the-site of the old Rectory until it was demolished in the 1970's and the land laid out as open space. The trees here include an Ilex, an Ash tree, a number of Silver Birches, Lime and Sycamore trees.
The Catholic Church of the English Martyrs Robert Measures and his catholic wife lived in the large house known as "Woodlands". Measure, acquired the site of the adjacent "Russell House" and donated the land to build a convent and later the church. Built in 1893, Purdie was the architect of this large church.
English Martyr's Presbytery.
The parish hall dating from circa 1930's stands next door to the Presbytery.