London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post has not been edited or checked
Steel houses built in 1920s
by London County Council
Residential area developed from the 1920s, named after
Lord Downham, William Hayes Fisher,chairman of the London County Council from
1919-20. The estate was begun in 1924 on former farmland, and largely completed
by 1930, though the section to the north of Whitefoot Lane was not completed
until 1939. A cottage estate (over 7000 dwellings), with small groups and
longer terraces, in traditional brick design, laid out along curving and
intersecting roads. Laid out on a area previously known as Seven Fields. Roads
are named after the old fields.
Winds its way through the estate. Here is the estate's
main shopping centre
St Barnabas. A
brick building by Sir Charles Nicholson of 1929. TInteresting features a include the old organ of 1854, which
was originally in The Hall, Southend, was moved in 1922 to the old chapel at St
Johns Southend, and was placed here in 1931 the original stone font, wooden
pulpit, and painted reredos
St Barnabas Hall, brick also by Nicholson, 1926, used as the church before
St Barnabas was built.
Downham Community Centre, was originally Downham Methodist
Church of 1929, and became a community centre c1978; it is of plain harmony
with the estate.
a oblong of grass on a sloping site which undulates and gives good
views to the west.Public open space on
a gentle hill slope. Downham Estate was built on open land belonging to the old
Shroffold's Farm whose name derives from an ancient manor in the area. herb-rich grassland, dominated by species
such as common bent, Yorkshire fog and red fescue. The grassland is regularly
mown by the Borough throughout spring and summer.
4 V2 attack 20th
February 1945. 40 people lay injured.
Downham Lifestyle Centre. Replacing Downham baths and library.
Downham Tavern.Was in the Guiness Book of Records Britain’s
biggest pub. LCC built it in 1930 to hold 1,000 customers. Demolished and
became a petrol station.
1 V2 attack 20th
February 1945. Just that day Clare Farrell, aged 26, and her three children,
David, 6, Anthony, 5, and Elizabeth 3, had moved in. Now they were dead.
64-74 V2 attack
20th February 1945. A dozen people died
70, V2 attack 20th
February 1945. Nellie French aged 41, and her children, Michael, 7, and
Kenneth, 14 months, were also killed.
Nubia Way, close of 13 self-build houses
1997, based on the Walter Segal concept and supervised by Jon Broome of
Architect. The detached timber-framed houses in a staggered pattern, upper
floors weather boarded in brown pine,
Downham Woodland Walk, a linear park which runs through
the estate, with fine mature trees.
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by