This post is not finished has not been edited or checked
Post to the north Heaton Grange
Post to the east Gallows Corner
Post to the south Gidea Park Station
Houses have gardens backing down to the former fishponds of the Gidea Hall estate.
Houses built in the 1934 'Modern Homes' exhibition. Initiated by Raphael's son, the ambition was the same - economically built, architect-designed houses capable of challenging the speculative competitors and demonstrating the benefits of rational design - but the achievement fell short of that. The houses are closer to the homegrown modern of Crittal's Silver End than the full-blooded Modernism of Tecton.
18 by Spencely was flat-roofed with continuous glazing on the first floor and a glazed bay window
Houses built in the 1934 'Modern Homes' exhibition. Initiated by Raphael's son, the ambition was the same - economically built, architect-designed houses capable of challenging the speculative competitors and demonstrating the benefits of rational design - but the achievement fell short of that.
328-30, a pair of semi-detached houses by Stevenson & Yorke
Gallows Corner A junction on the old Roman road to Colchester - Eastern Avenue splits here with one road going to Southend and one to Colchester. so called because it was once the site of a gallows for prisoners from Havering and some from Colchester.
Sports Ground. Cricket pavilion almost on the site of the gallows. Used by Gidea Park and Romford Cricket Club and Romford Hockey Club.
Tesco Extra supermarket
Gidea Park First recorded as Guydie hallparke in 1668, named from la Gidiehall 1258, Giddyhalie 1376, Gydihall 1466, Gidea Hall 1805, literally 'the foolish or crazy hall', from Middle English gidi and hall, perhaps alluding to a building of unusual design or construction, but possibly to the eccentric behaviour of those who lived there! Or it could be from ‘ged’ and ‘ea’ meaning ‘pike water’. In the mid-16th century it was the home of Sir Anthony Cooke, a tutor to King Edward VI. Said to be where Lady Jane Grey was tutored. 150 acre garden with melons and vines. Demolished in 1718 and a Georgian mansion built. Latterly a club house for Romford Golf Club. It was demolished in the 1930s after the residential garden suburb of Gidea Park had been established in its grounds. A print in Essex Record Office shows the departure of Charles I and his mother-in-law, Marie de Medici, Queen Mother of France, from Gidde Holie in 1638.
Gidea Hall, Marie de Medici, mother of Queen Henrietta Maria, stayed the night before her before she met the King at Romford. The old Gidea Hall, pulled down many years ago, was commenced by Sir Thomas Cooke who died in 1478, and was completed by Sir Anthony who entertained Queen Elizabeth here in 1568 G a late medieval mansion and residence of the Cooke family during the c16 and c17, but rebuilt in the c18 and set within formal landscaped gardens. The house stood near Hare Street, the main road from Romford, where a small hamlet was home to Humphrey Repton in the early 1800s. Sir Herbert Raphael M.P., who had leased 90 acres for a golf course only a few years earlier, acquired the Hall and its estate in 1897. In 1909 he formed Gidea Hall Development Co. (later Gidea Park Ltd), with the express intention of developing a garden suburb, along the lines of Hampstead, in the area around Gidea Hall. Gidea Hall was demolished in 1930
Leads into the suburb proper, the tone strictly kept to half-timbering
Entrance gates and section of wall, dated 1750 of Gidea Hall
3, 5 and 7 half-timbering, but on a big scale by Bunney & Makins,
Pair of houses by T.M.Hora, with colour-washed gables, cat slide roofs and huge triplets of diagonal chimneystacks. Indeed, the scale of houses in this part is rather larger than the standard: neither those by Bunney & Makin were exhibition houses/
Mansfield Golf Club concessions for
Great Eastern railway Employees from London.
41 first of the representative, if not the most superior, exhibition houses by Parker & Unwin Double-height bows to the front light the principal rooms. Along the flank of the double-depth drawing room, panels of Art Nouveau stained glass. Inside, moveable partitions and inglenook fireplaces. The house was designed with all its furniture.
43 by Curtis Green, with diaper brickwork
64 Modern movement competition winning house. The one clear exception prize-winning by Francis Skinner and Tecton, one of their first and built for only £900. Two storeys of reinforced concrete L-shaped with the service range overlooking the street. The main rooms towards its garden. Strip windows on the side and a sun terrace carried on pilotis, all distinctive motifs. The terrace has been partly built over and truncated by the addition of a room. The house was designed for repetition along Heath Drive to form a white-walled frontage, a daring concept and one alive to the new forms of social housing rather than the one-off
45-8, four large Neo-Georgian houses by Ronald P. Jones, an able practitioner of the emerging style. The centre pair are set back tightly, but otherwise identical with brick corner quoins, large eaves cornice and pedimented door cases.
34 - 36 some of the smaller cottage houses sold for £375, both by C.M. Crickmer
27, by Van Hoff & Maxwell, with a cruciform plan, central chimneystack. In fact a pair divided internally by a passage. Upper storey contained in the roof. Beautifully detailed tile work and forward sweeping eaves.
16 prize-winning by Philip Tilden, a squat two-storey cottage with short, hipped roof wings designed with box room and stores.
7 by Percy Houlton is Neo-Georgian red brick banded with grey.
4 by Gripper & Stevenson a central two-storey porch, and arched entrance with tiles
Last of the 1911 houses
Renamed from Gallows Lane and straightened and widened.