River Lee - Lockwood Reservoir
The River Lea Diversion, The Lea Navigation, The Aqueduct and Pymmes Brook all flow southwards
The Dagenham Brook first appears in this area and flows southwards
Post to the north Wild Marsh
Post to the west Tottenham
Post to the south Blackhorse Lane
This was Moons Lane in the 19th and was the road from Higham Hill to Chapel End. It was named for the Crooked Billet Inn, an 18th pub now gone.
The Delta Group. Visual communications company founded 1991. Other trading units on the same site. In the 1950s this was the site of a Motor engineering works
Byron Works. 1950s
153 Upland House. Waltham Forest College. This is now in use as part of the community college. Despite the fact that looks like an institutional building it appears to be a big house dating from the late 19th and in industrial use since the Second World War. It is surrounded by a trading estate on what were gardens, and latterly a sports ground.
Essex Hall. This is a medical and social services centre in a modern block. It replaces an older house and manor house for the area. In the 14th there was a house at this junction called Waterhall and in the 16th Higham Hall, stood here. This was altered and by the 18th had been converted into two dwellings and was no longer the manor-house. In the 19th it was called Essex Hall and was used as a school. It was eventually demolished in 1934 for council housing and an old people's home was built on the site in 1970. Some panels from the old house are in the Vestry House Museum.
High Maynard Reservoir
Built in 1870 by the East London Water Company.
Higham Hill Recreation Ground
Edmonton Cut - 5 miles from Tottenham Hale to Ponders End. Built by Thomas Yeoman 1770
Built by East London Water Co in 1897 and almost immediately taken over by the Metropolitan Water Board. During construction a Viking long ship was found bottom up in a backwater.
Coppermill River – this tributary river now meets the Lea under the reservoir. It was also called Papermill or Waterworks River
Thames Aqueducts. The Ring Main passes under here. Work on it began in 1960 but it had been suggested in 1935 – a tunnel to take water from the Thames above Teddington to North London.
Marsh Lane//Park Lane
Stonebridge Lock. Built 1776 and rebuilt 1853. Duplicated in1961
Lock house at one time named Harris's Cottage". Rebuilt 1899. Demolished in 1966 when the lock was doubled. The remains of the original 1776 wooden lock complete with an official River Lee Trust miller's post were discovered under the house. The inscription on the post reads: “RLT the top of this Groove denotes the head of water 1839”. A new house was built on the western side of the Navigation.
Millstream to Tottenham Mill once entered below Stonebridge Lock. It now lies under the reservoir.
Mount Zion Restoration Ministries and Miracle Church - Pumping Station. An early well was sunk by the local authority to 450 feet which supplied180,000 gallons a day to the London system. This is now a church
Swimming pool. Built in 1905, filled by the Lea and closed in the 1930s.
Victoria County History. Chingford
Hillman & Trench. Underground London
Met. Water Board. London's Water Supply
Cherry & Pevsner. North London
Waltham Forest College web site
Lea and Stort Navigation web site
Mount Zion Restoration Ministries web site
Neale. Chingford Water
Ray, Chingford Past