Wednesday, 29 February 2012

River Lea - Wild Marsh

River Lea
The River Lee, The Lea Navigation, the Aqueduct and Pymmes Brook all flow southwards

Post to the north Angel Road industry
Post to the east Banbury Reservoir
Post to the south Lockwood Reservoir

Argon Road
British Oxygen. In 1901 Aerators Ltd., - later Sparklets - built a new factory at Angel Road, where anew factory was built. After the war it sold most of the site to the British Oxygen Co. who extended the premises.  The works is known as the BOC Process Plant - up to 1992 it was Cyroplants, and it was an engineering works. They made Vacuum Insulated Tanks.  The large buildings which they use were bought from the Scott Lithgow Shipyard on the Clyde in the 1980s.

Banbury Reservoir 
Valve tower

Glover Road
Gothic Works. The works was built in 1897 by T. Glover Co., gas meters makers and R. and A. Main, who made gas stoves.  The two companies amalgamated in 1956 and became part of Thorn Electrical Industries. Another factory was built on the site in 1951 for Main Enamel Manufacturing Co.  Closed in 1983

Kingsway Industrial Estate

Lea Navigation.
Edmonton Cut - 5 miles from Tottenham Hale to Ponders End. Built by Thomas Yeoman in 1770
The footpath to Wild Marsh marks the site of a Ferry across the Lea.  In 1687 it was called Boultons or Games. The Ferry House was on the West Bank and was rebuilt in 1836. In 1870 it was bought up by the East London Waterworks and closed as part of the works on the Banbury Reservoir.
Chalk bridge, Carries a right of way over the Navigation. It also marks the boundary between Haringey, Waltham Forest and Enfield London Boroughs. The bridge was closed in 2005 and a new bridge installed to the south.

Leeside Road
Gasholder. Built by Tottenham and Edmonton Gas Works, who had powers to expand on this site from 1882

Meridian Way
Tottenham Marsh Electricity Transformer Station, dates from 1966

Towpath Road
Dorford Wharf.  Site of timber yard of L. Hall Ltd., timber importers and saw-millers. Opened here in 1928
Arriva Edmonton Depot. This was previously a timber yard.

Wild Marsh
Wild Marsh East and Wild Marsh west are either side of the Lea. In the late 19th the river was diverted across Wild Marsh East in order to allow for reservoir building. After the Second World War the area was used for landfill and gravel extraction.

Sources
Victoria County History Chingford
Pevsner and Cherry London North
London Water Supply 1903-1953. Metropolitan Water Board
Lewis. London's Lea Valley More Secrets Revealed
Enfield Archaeology Society, Industrial Archaeology of Enfield
Lea and Stort Navigation web site
.

No comments: