The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Stanwell
The London, Hillingdon/Spelthorne boundary carries on Westwards along Bedfont Road and then continues on Southern Perimeter Road.
The Duke of Northumberland's River flows east following the Perimeter Road
The Longford River flows east following the Perimeter Road
Post to the west Stanwellmoor
Post to the east Cargo Terminal
Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary
Duke of Northumberland's River
This section was built during the reign of Henry VIII by John Gates after the dissolution of the Monastery at Syon. It was to augment the water supply to mills and allow new ones to be built, thus providing a source of revenue for the Duke of Northumberland. It takes water fro
m the Colne and flows through this stretch alongside the Longford River. Both have been diverted in association with the construction of Terminal Five but skirts the western and southern perimeter of the airport.
St. Mary’s church. Dates from the 12th but the current building is 15th. There is a 15th bell tower with a later shingled spire but basically of chequered stone and flint, and a crenellated parapet. Early 14th chancel. The church was restored by Teulon in 1862 and 1903. The roof is supported on posts resting on carved corbels - kings, queens and angels. Monument by Nicholas Stone to Lord and Lady Knyvett, who arrested Guy Fawkes – it has the couple kneeling. Brass to Richard of Thorp 1408. Memorial to Jane Hartley d. 1795.
Churchyard: Charles Rowles stone Chest tomb 1868 with ornamented sides and a plinth; vault from early.19th with a Stone chest tomb with barrels with carved ends – internee not known; stone chest tomb of Francis Paterson 1838 on a plinth; tomb of Henry Bullock 1762 a Portland stone altar with cherubs and scrolls; tomb of John Hodges 1799 altar tomb with panels an illegible Inscription which refers to his wife’s previous husband.
13 Early to mid 19th. Rendered brick with a half-glazed door and h wooden lattice porch with a cast iron knocker. Listed.
25 Brook Cottage 1720. The left hand bay is slightly later. It is red brick with a parapet front and a Slate roof with 2 chimneys - the right hand one is stepped with tumbling-in. At the back is a trellis work porch. There is a mid 19th boundary wall and cast iron railings
29 Windsor Cottage. Early-mid 19th of brick; tiled roof. The forecourt wall is 20th brick with re-used gate pier caps inscribed “Windsor Cottage”. Listed and the site of a pub called ‘the Horns’
38 Coachman’s Cottage. 18th converted coach house in red brick. There is a cast iron pump near the door. Brick wall around it probably 18th but it is 7 feet high and 25 yards long
40 Dunmore House 1719. Brick with gauged brick arches to the windows. Central panel door with pillars and hood. The forecourt wall is 20th with tall gate-piers and a wrought iron overthrow to the gates. Listed
40b early 19th addition to Dunmore House with which it joins. Brick with tiled roof. Listed.
42 Vicarage Late 18th red brick. Listed
46 2 storey extension to 48. Listed
48 late 18th and early 19th roughcast with a tiled catslide roof. 20th shopfront.
56 Old Farm. Early 19th pebbledash and side chimneys joined by arches. There is a two storey wing at the back with a pair of chimneys joined by an arch. This wing is linked by a covered passage to a detached 2 storey building which was perhaps a dairy with cheese room over it.
110 -112 Lord Knyvet‘s School house. founded 1624 as the Knyvet Foundation Free School. The School house and the master’s quarters are combined. It is built of Brick with a pitched roof. The master's half has a doorway with two windows and the schoolroom is single storey also with a doorway with a coat of arms with and a text. It was altered and enlarged in the 19th. Sun Fire insurance mark outside and an original staircase inside.
Milestone. 18th but recut. It says “Dated ‘MS 1833’. And on the main face “London 15 miles” in 20th lettering. Inscription on the east face is illegible.
The Swan. Late 18th. Listed
The waterway was constructed in 1638 at the instigation of Charles I in order to increase the water supply to Hampton Court and allow water features to be developed. It had a variety of names - the New River, the King's River, the Queen's River, the Cardinal's River, the Hampton Court Cut, and the Hampton Court Canal. In this section it runs parallel with the Duke of Northumberland’s River.
This was Perry Oaks Lane, going to Perry Oaks Farm which is now under the airport.
34 Perry Green. 16th and 17th with alterations. Timber frame with painted brick infill. 20th wooden casement windows. This was originally three cottages, the central one being the oldest 17th part.
Chapel. From 1810. Used as a garage in the 1950s.
Rising Sun. This has two Friary Meux board signs with their 'horseshoe' logo above the pub sign. on the wall are two brewery plaques.
7 Cheyne Cottage. Mid 19th with picturesque glazing. Painted brick exterior.
War Memorial – very prominent at the central crossroads
Gates are that remains of Stanwell Place. Between decorated ashlar gate posts are ornate gates of Wrought iron with arrow head dog-rails and fleur-de-lys and panels with scroll-work which were commissioned by Sir John Gibbons in 1760 but it is possible they are Edwardian copies. The bend in Park Road at the main gate was due to the diversion of the road by Sir John Gibbons in the 18th.
Wheatsheaf Inn. This is one site with the two cottages. Early 19th of rendered brick. Listed
1-2 Wheatsheaf Cottages
Arundel House. Early 19th brick building with frontages to Bedfont Road and Riverside Roads. Brick wall on Riverside Road. Known locally as the Old Police House, it was once the police house for the Bow Street Runners who worked on Hounslow Heath
A cut off section of a road which once went through to Stanwell Moor and Spout Moor.
Stanwell probably means ‘stone well’ but locally it is thought to come from ‘St.Anne’s Well’ – which is in Town Lane.
Moated enclosure 500 yards North of Church. This can be seen on maps.
'Stanwell Perpetual Rose. Apparently ‘discovered’ growing in a Stanwell garden in the early 19th but then marketed by a local nurseryman, Mr. Lee. It flowers late in the year with fragrant, semi-double, shell-pink flowers supported by dark grey-green foliage and is a hybrid derived Rosa pimpinellifolia, the Burnet or the Scotch rose.
Stanwell Cursus - a pair of Neolithic ditches which goes from Stanwell for 4 km and has been excavated in some parts. The site of its origin in Stanwell is not clear.
Centre of the village and most of the old houses centre round it.
This site has been compiled over many years and from many different sources
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Walford. Village London