The London, Hillingdon/Spelthorne boundary continues on Southern Perimeter Road to the junction with A313, Airport Way, and continues on that road
The Duke of Northumberland's River flows south and east following the Perimenter Road
The Longford River flows south and east following the Perimenter Road
Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary
Post to the north Stanwellmoor
Post to the east Stanwell
The Croft. 17th front and unadorned Georgian front. Inside a queen post roof with refused timbers.
Old Oak Cottage. 17th with 20th pastiche. Timber-framed and rendered with Close studding on the front.
Southern Farm, once known as Merrick’s Farm and one of the manorial holdings.
South of the road in the farm area are Crop marks and a large ring ditch.
Stanwell Place. This was a Georgian House which replaced an earlier manor. It had an imposing entrance outside the village which is all that remains. There was a manor-house here by the 14th. Where the Windsor lords of the manor lived. James I's daughter Mary died there while under Lord Knyvett's care. Later, except in the early 20th when it was used as a golf club, from the 18th it was occupied by its owners and some earlier outbuildings remained while the house was rebuilt. The park was laid out in the 18th century. In 1920 the house and grounds were bought by Sir John Gibson who sold it to King Feisal of Iraq in 1948 and he kept it until his assassination in 1954. It was then demolished. It is now a mineral extraction site called Stanwell Quarry owned by Cemex Part of which has been extracted and restored, and on the rest extraction is still ongoing. The clock tower from the house is in Cronulla Plaza, Australia, given to that town by Caltex Refinery Co. Pty Ltd. It is now the oldest public clock in Australia, built by John Jullion. There were some ancient plane trees in the grounds
Crop marks: plus a rectangular enclosure and ring ditch, north-west of here.
This site has been compiled from material gathered over many years and from many different sources.
Walford. Village London