TQ 13 70
The London/Surrey boundary carries on up the middle of the river
Post to the east Hampton and Hurst Park
Post to the south West Molesey
Post to the west Kempton Park
North Bank - London, Richmond
This post covers only sites north of the river - south is West Molesey and Platts Eyot
Built in 1897 along with houses along the railway.
Riverhill Estate between here and Plevna Road and laid out in 1878.
Ruffs Candle factory bought by Ranyard
Hampton north of the station,
Had no building in Victorian but very slow to get going.
Old Farm Road
Riverhill Estate between here and Belgrade Road and laid out in 1878.
Path on the north bank
Filter beds are between site of Metropolitan Water Board Ferry and old Sunnymeads Reservoir
Between here and Kempton Park were brickfields for Hampton Court
Draw dock,. the ancient Hampton Parish wharf. it was used for much the same purpose as the Molesey wharf but possibly not as often as the "Hard" at the Bell Hill in the heart of Hampton Village. But there is good reason for the draw dock being sited far out from the once tiny village; on the rising ground inboard of the dock a stretching in a North West direction towards Kempton were the Stane Hill brickfields where large Quantities of bricks were made for the building of Hampton Court Palace. This wharf therefore was built at the nearest convenient point for the bricks to be loaded into barges. The crane on the wharf has been there since Thornycroft's time or even before; it was here that all materials for the boatyard were loaded. The handles of the crane can be hired for a reasonable fee so providing a very useful service for others such as Constables Boathouse and other firms a little further down
Shallows between here and Platt’s Eyot. Particularly upstream of the Parish Wharf. in ancient time a rudimentary weir was built at an angle from the head of the Island to the northern bank in order to direct as much water as available into, the main stream to keep the level of the water as high as possible and at the same time to keep the channel scoured for the benefit of barge traffic. This weir remained in use until Sunbury and Molesey locks came into use. When the channel upstream, was dredged some 30 years ago some of the old weir timbers were found.
Some tough but not unattractive red brick terraces by Hutchison Locke & Monk, c. 1978.
30 at an angle to the road, later c 18, with canted bays and or pedimented doorway,
Sweet creeper-clad cottage
46-54 a humble terrace of c. 1710-20.
Hampton Station. 1864. Between Fulwell and Kempton Park on South Western Trains. Decent yellow brick house with gables and round arched windows. Built between Shepperton and Twickenham.
sidings which dealt with frozen Hungarian horseflesh & coal for the various water works round
The Widow's Struggle
Houses terrace of small, plain three-storey Georgian houses, the first with a little stable and loft in the front garden.
high wall surrounds a series of Thames Water filter beds, originally built in 1855 by the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company after central London's private water companies had been forced to move their Thames intakes upstream into the cleaner, non-tidal part of the river.
1 Riverdale. Brown brick with red dressings, four windows, 'newly erected' in 1772, with extension probably of the mid c 19.
3 minor c 18 street front,
15 minor c 18 street front,
20 minor c 18 street front
22-26 minor c 18 street front
38 minor c 18 street front
54-66 minor c 18 street front,
Soap factory - derelict facade of what is said to be the oldest soap factory in the country (built in 1760).
2-4 Feathers cottage
Stevenson’s Alley next to Constables boathouse.
Wharves still there and used by cruisers
Reservoirs: 2 1/2 miles of coping. Designed by J.E. Westler engineer of Southwark and Vauxhall Co. and Chief Eng. from 1905. Filled from Chelsea Co intake. Spoil from them dumped on Platt’s Eyot.
Tagg site pumping station planned but not built immediately. Reconsidered and worked out to be most effective in changed circumstances. Thames Ironworks of Greenwich machinery and Dick Kerr bought the buildings. Opened in 1911 by John Burns, 4 triple expansion engines and centrifugal pump of 25m a day. Special arrangements for extra water, raw water from it into Knight and flowing into Bessborough, and raw water to Island Barn
Upper Sunbury Road
Rosehill Library flats. A later c 18 house of three storeys, three windows wide, with additions. Original staircase. Plaque to John Beard, c1717-1791.It says 'singer'. erected 1992.
Hampton Waterworks. Following the 1852 Metropolis Water Act, three water companies moved their intakes upriver to Hampton, with three nearly identical pumping stations by Joseph Quick. The buildings now stand empty of machinery. Metropolitan Water Board policy of concentration. Lots of new machinery and no purchased electricity. Purification plant with balancing reservoir. New engine house and a lot of other new things
Thames Aqueducts. Ring main started from here in after 1960. Had been suggested in 1935 – a tunnel to take water from the Thames above Teddington to North London. It is 102 in diameter tunnel in interlocking concrete rings for 19 miles and finishes at the Lockwood reservoir. Built by Sir William Halcrow & Partners.
The West Middlesex Company's buildings have gone. Abstracted water from Thames and pumped it to Barnes for filtering.
The Grand Junction Company's station has Quick's engine house of 1853-5, in a dainty Italianate with large round-arched upper windows and perforated parapet, built for two Bull engines. The projection at the front is the base of a former chimney-cum-standpipe tower. Pumped unfiltered water to Kew. 1919 removed Cornish bull engines and ordered Riverdale and Moreland engines, more powerful. Then diesels called Kartslake engines after the Chairman of the Board. Sheffield engines of 1885 replaced for pumping gravel water into the filter beds. Also steam driven electric generators to help it all. There were then still three Cornish engines left replaced with electric pumps. New engines called Henry Ward after Henry Ward JP.
Boiler house at the side has blank arcading. Grand Junction Company
Beam engine house of 1881-2 by Alexander Frazer, rather plain. Grand Junction Company
Waterworks cottages semi-detached of the 1850s Grand Junction Company
Gate office. Simple sub-Italianate Grand Junction Company
The Southwark and Vauxhall Company's engine house of 1853-5, to the same design as the Grand Junction's. One-storey extensions in the same style, including a broad chimney embellished with pilasters and relieving arches. Later known as the Ruston house. Delivered all filtered water
The Moreland’s building has two large and heavy-looking Italianate engine houses at either end of a blank-arcaded boiler house fifteen bays long. One house, with ornamental lozenge-pattern winding frames, of 1867-70 by Joseph Quick for two 80 inch. Beam engines. The other house of 1885-6 by J. W. Restler. A central standpipe tower, Italianate with prominent cornices, was demolished in 1970. Southwark and Vauxhall Company
The Riverdale building 1897-1900 for three triple expansion engines. Engine house with a quasi-Elizabethan plan, boiler house with aisles and clerestory, all with tall, round-headed windows. Southwark and Vauxhall Company
Gatehouse and clock tower mixed Italian-cum-Elizabethan late c 19. Southwark and Vauxhall Company
Filter beds behind are from 1867 onwards. The old steam plant was scrapped in 1943.
The Stilgoe engine house, 1935-43 by A.J.Johnson, houses eight steam turbine driving centrifugal pumps and generators. Brick on a stone frame; two chimneys arranged symmetrically. Called Stilgoe after the engineer and division filter house and high lift pumping machinery. The Durham engines
The Davison primary filter house is 1936-47.
Thames-Lee Water Main Tunnel. From Hampton Waterworks to the King George V Reservoir at Chingford running 160 ft below St Mary's church. Constructed 1955-in use 1966, Sir William Halcrow & Partners consulting engineers. 19 miles long, 102 in. in internal diameter, most tunnelled through the London Clay. The longest tunnel Europe, and the longest in the world through soft strata. It was also the first tunnel to use an expanding lining of unreinforced concrete tapered segments and the first to use successfully a rotary drum digger. Tunnelling was carried out in 1955-9.
Material for this work has been collected over many years and from many source. Clearly The Buildings of England has been useful for some of the posher housing and material from members of GLIAS for both the water works and Platts Eyot.