A square by square look at London
The Surrey/London Boundary carries on up the middle of the river
This post covers only sites north of the river. South of the river is Hurst Park
Post to the west Hampton and West Molesey and Platts Eyot
Post to the south East Molesey
North Bank - London, Richmond
Cobbler’s Walk. Named for Timothy Bennet who was a shoemaker who lived in Hampton Wick. In 1754 he campaigned for free public access across Bushy Park to Hampton. Cobbler's Walk is named after him
Waterhouse Woodland Garden
St.Mary. There are records of a church here before 1342. The church was completely rebuilt in 1831 by Lapidge after it was had been Struck by lightening in 1829 but its ancient monuments were preserved. It is a plain white brick building and a landmark tower without adornment. In 1888 Sir Arthur Blomfield added a sanctuary. Monuments: In the porch is a monument to Sibel Pen, Edward VI's nurse - her grey-cloaked ghost is said to haunt this church – it dates from 1562 and is a standing wall-monument with a recumbent effigy; Mrs Thomas 1731, designed by Archer and signed by W. Powell; George Tilson 1738 with a long inscription and an enterprising putto; Captain A. Ellice, Comptroller General of the Coastguards 1853, by Bedford, with a coastguard mourning by the Captain's coffin. Plaque to Wynn. Hampton vicar in 1342. The Queen Adelaide sanctuary was built for Queen Victoria's golden jubilee
9-9a Penn’s House site of the house where Edward VI’s nurse lived. Sibel Penn, died of smallpox in 1562 Penn's Place, marked by a plaque
2 Old Grange 1630. A girls’ school in 1910. Pebbledashed. A fireplace inside appears older than 1630
Orme House. 1698. In 1770 this was a girls school and in 1807 used by T.Holloway. By 1830 it was a school again..
62-68 a small 18th terrace with an one old shop front.
78 Ivy House with a cupola added at the front
80-84 Hope Cottage, Lady Bouchier convalescent home
90 is early 18th older
100 Grove House built c. 1726-7 by Lady Mary Downing. Inside a staircasde with twisted balusters and a room in Moorish style, added as a music room in 1906 by Colonel C. J. Stutfield.
Churchyard. a zodiacal pyramid to John Greg of Dominica f 1795. On the Kingston Zodiac this is on Taurus opposing the sign at Wimbledon.
Hampton Court Road,
Hampton Court Road 'an architectural composition of the highest duality'
Garrick's House. home of David Garrick, army officer and nephew of the actor lived from 1778 until his death in 1795. a long thin front to the road, Was also called The Cedars.
Garrick's Villa. Converted into flats in the 1920s. Garrick the actor's had this as his country house, from 1754 and rebuilt it from very old cottages. A previous house on site has belonged to the Caswell family since 1640. Garrick’s widow lived there until 1822. In 1902 it was bought by Tramway company with a view to demolition but instead their manager moved in. he owned the tramway and installed track for his own private Tramcar up to the entrance. Some land was swapped with Bushey Park. The house was converted in to flats in 1922, is now the centre of a “Georgian” estate of the 1960s. Some of Garrick’s garden, including the mulberry, remain.
Orangery. Built for Garrick as a garden feature but an upper floor was added in the 1920s and it is now flats.
Hogarth Way. More houses built on some of the land of Garrick’s garden.
Shakespeare's Temple 'a kind of dumpling'. Garrick's little ocatagon temple for picnics and to hold Roubillac’s statue of Shakespeare – now a replica, the original is now in the British Museum. It seems that Roubiliac himself designed the building. Capability Brown landscaping. Restored by Temple Trust. Close to the river and separated from the house by the road. It was restored by D. W. Insall for Richmond Council
Tunnel between Garrick's House and the folly. Grotto like on the advice of Lancelot Brown.
White Lodge. 18th looking towards the Diana Fountain in Bushy Park
Chalet, brought from Switzerland originally used about 1882 as a garden feature for a now demolished house called Riverholme a few yards downstream. 'More like the superstructure of a paddle steamer'. Offices for Hucks Marine Engineers
St Alban's. On the riverbank, said to have been built for Nell Gwyn and her son, the Duke of St Alban's, but it wasn’t
Held in the Domesday Book by Walter de St Waleric. Settlement in the bend of the river, which explains the name.
Hampton Sailing Club, 55 King Edward Benn's Island
101 Elmgrove House, 18th.
87 a small plain 18th house
81 1780, with a trellis porch
67 Old Farmhouse.formerly Park Brook. Lshaped early 19th maybe older.
Beveree house set in its own grounds. Built in the early 19th near the site of a house built by Dr John Blow which was demolished in 1799. rebuilt after a fire in 1867.
33-35 a terrace of 1720 with later stucco.
16 Jolly Coopers. Popular pub, dating back to the early 1700s. The restricted space on entering opens up on both sides of the bar. The bar area is adorned with numerous beer, whisky and water jugs and bottled beers. Listed
Betty's confectionery and tobacco shop run by former rowing champion Betty Kenton, British champion sculler in 1935 and 1938, under her maiden name of Ambler. Just inside the door there is an inscribed photograph of her in her scull to prove it. Her husband runs the family boatyard across the road and maintains one of the last remaining foot ferries on the Thames .
Bookshop, Ian Sheridan’s antiquarian shop with old sofas and armchairs and classical music playing on an ancient radiogram.
Hope Cottage built as a coach house before 1780.
On north bank Piece of ground called the Toy which was used for Roundhead soldiers barracks, pub, all demolished, From Garrick Villa to Tumbling Bay fishing preserve
This work has been compiled over many years and from many sources - clearly The Buildings of England has been very helpful for the posher houses of this section.