Saturday, 26 September 2009

The London/Surrey boundary - West Molesey

The London/Surrey boundary goes up the river until half way along the Stain Hill Reservoir when it turns directly north and joins the Spelthorne boundary. It continues north across Kempton Park.

Post to the north Kempton Park
Post to the east Molesey
Post to the south Molesey
Post to the west Walton Apps Court and Sunbury Rivermead

Hurst Road
Coal post north side at Walton/West Molesey boundary. 300 yards west of Weston Avenue
Reservoirs - Four. Built in 1872, by the Lambeth and the Chelsea Waterworks Companies. In both cases building here because of problems with mud in the intake at Seething Wells. In 1871 the Lambeth Company built two storage reservoirs were built and the water was piped to the Ditton works for treatment. An oval-shaped brick conduit, approximately 5ft.9ins x 4ft.9ins., was constructed between West Molesey and Long Ditton. The Chelsea Company bought land next to the Lambeth Company's partly in West Molesey parish and partly in Walton. In 1875 a pumping station, intake and four storage and subsiding reservoirs were built, and pipes laid to Long Ditton. The Lambeth Company in 1896 built two further reservoirs between their existing ones and Hurst Road.

Bessborough Reservoir
Built by the Southwark & Vauxhall Water Co. and the Metropolitan Water Board in 1898 on part of the site of Apps Court. Opened in 1907 covering 74 acres. Building had involved 1 ½ m cubic yards excavated 2,000,000 cut yards of puddle and 75,000 cut yards of Portland cement. It was called ‘Bessborough‘ after Lord Bessborough, one of the Company Directors. It was designed by J.W.Restler Deputy Chief Engineer MWB and former Engineer of the Southwark and Vauxhall Company.

Walton Road
Church farm. the 18th farmhouse survive
John Nightingale School on the land of Church Farm
Bishop Fox School on the land of Church Farm
Upper Farm south of Walton Road. Demolished.
'Howard Houses'. On the site of Upper Farm. Donald Gordon Howard had the idea of erecting houses inexpensively, in a modern style, with flat roofs, plain white walls, and steel-framed windows. The dwellings were constructed very cheaply. However after 320 houses had been built, only 100 had been sold.

This material has been compiled over many years and from many sources

No comments: