SQUARE BY SQUARE LOOK AT LONDON
TQ 28 61
The London/Surrey/Sutton boundary from Corrigan Avenue goes northwest to go down the western edge of Big Wood and onwards to Ruffett Wood.
Post to the west Woodmansterne
Post to the south Chipstead Valley Road
Sites on the London, Sutton side of the boundary
Isolated from the rest of the Borough of Sutton. Sometimes called ‘the Mount’ after the central road. Carshalton Council built it on the land of Clockhouse after the Second World War.
Clockhouse Farm. This was actually in Banstead in Surrey and was demolished in 1970s.
Hillcrest Parade of local shops.
Woodcote Park Golf Club. Founded 1912. Nature conservation site of Metropolitan importance
Sports facilities run by the Council.
Ancient track over the downs.
Old estate gates
Council boundary plaque.
Grove Lane Hedge/ composed of hawthorn, blackthorn etc it is owned by Surrey County Council.
Jack and Jill pub.
Thought they had an unexploded bomb in 1998 but it wasn’t.
Woodcote Grove Farm – Outlook Stockholders of metal products
Big Wood. Mature sycamore woodland surrounded by playing fields and grazing meadows. Heavy recreational use. There is also oak and beech in the western part as well as Wild cherry, ash, field maple, whitebeam and rowan. Coppicing and falls of timber have allowed Dog's mercury, bluebells, goldilocks buttercup and lesser celandine to grow. Birds include mistlethrush, wren, blackcap and gold crest. Owned by the Woodland Trust.
Tree lined avenue.
Woodcote Grove House. Care home in Grade II Georgian building but details of its original date are unclear.
Grove Wood –nature site of Borough Importance but owned by Friends of the Elderly. Chalk grassland.
This material has been compiled over many years and from a wide variety of sources