Wednesday, 9 September 2009

The London/Surrey boundary - Stoneleigh

SQUARE BY SQUARE LOOK AT LONDON
TQ 22 65

The London/Surrey/Sutton boundary having crossed London Road heading north west, it turns south west before reaching Kilester Gardens and then proceeds north west parallel to Sparrows Farm Road crossing Dundella Gardens and the Mount. At St.Clair Drive it turns sharp south west, crosses Sparrows Farm Road and Woodstone Road reaching Gayfrere Road. It then turns sharp north west, crossing Rosedale and continues to the railway line. It then turns north and follows the railway.

Post to the north Cheam Common
Post to the east Cheam
Post to the south Nonsuch

Beverley Brook
The brook rises in this area and flows northwards to the Thames.

Sites on the Surrey, Epsom side of the boundary
Alsom Avenue
Worcester Park Brickworks. An extraction and manufacturing site. Opened in 1898 the works occupied high ground where operations continued until the mid-1930s. A siding ran into the site from the LSWR line about mid-way between Stoneleigh and Worcester Park stations.

Beverley Brook - the brook rises in Cuddington Recreation Ground

Railway Line
The line from Worcester Park to Epsom 1859, reached its summit in a wood on this stretch before going down into the Hogsmill Valley.

Sparrow Farm Road
Recreation Ground
Station Approach
Stoneleigh Station 1932. Between Ewell West and Worcester Park on South Western Rail. Has an island platform and was built by the Southern Railway to serve newly developed Stoneleigh Park Estate. It is built very similarly to Motspur Park and improvements were pushed on by residents associations in the 1930s. As a result a very much larger footbridge was installed and a covered bridge with a new ticket office. It was Not finished until 1942.
Library

Stoneleigh Broadway.
Sidings left the main line 100m to the north of the station, providing access to Worcester Park brickworks.

Stoneleigh
A completely new town built up in the 1930s by the Stoneleigh Estate Company. In the 17th century, the area was part of the Park of Nonsuch. In 1731 the estate was sold and the Great Park, was divided into farmland and in 1860 bought by John Jeffries Stone. He built a house called Stoneleigh. The area was later developed for housing, and the area around the station became a shopping centre.

This material has been compiled over many years and from a wide variety of sources

No comments: