TQ 25 61 Banstead
The London/Surrey/Sutton boundary goes south east down the side of Banstead Downs and along the site of what was Cuddington Hospital. It then turns south west along the same boundaries crosses Banstead Road and meets the railway line. It follows the railway line westwards until it reaches a boundary with Epsom and Ewell Borough, and it then turns north west.
An area to the north west of the small Surrey town of Banstead. Some 20th century housing and development, and some institutional sites now in other use
Post to the north North Looe
Sites on the Surrey, Banstead side of the boundary
Home of the rare blue butterfly
Gally Hill tumuli - four Saxon burial mounds said to be on the site of a gallows. They were excavated in 1970 and Saxon artifacts found.
Banstead Station 22nd May 1865. Between Epsom Downs and Banstead on Southern Rail The station was built by the Banstead and Epsom Downs Railway Company as part of their line to take race goers to Epsom Race Course via Sutton. Cheaply made wooden building a mile below the village. In 1898 the name was changed to ‘Banstead and Burgh Heath ‘. In 1928 returned to ‘Banstead’ and in the 1930s the station was rebuilt in brick with proper platform canopies.. The station is nearly a mile from Banstead itself but goes through the Banstead Downs and is on top of a long deep cutting
Goods yard 1880 approached by a steep ramp from the main road. therefore no coal merchants would go there. Closed 1964.
Private sidings to Kensington and Chelsea schools 1880 Alongside south end of railway.
two miles of private sidings built.
Gally Hill Archers and shooting club opposite the station.
Fir Tree Road
Transformer cast iron circular kiosk made for the British Transformer Co. in 1910
Beechholme Recreation Ground
The name 'Nork' for the area comes from Nork House which was the home of the Buckle family from 1740. It may mean 'North'
Sites on the London, Sutton side of the boundary
Cuddington Park Close
A gated and barred private estate
Cuddington Hospital. Was on the site of Walnut Tree Farm in 1897.It closed in 1984 and was demolished. The land was then used to train police dogs and then developed for housing. Some of the site is now Cuddington Meadows.
British History Online. Web site
London Borough of Sutton. Web site
Surrey County Council. Web site
Surrey History. Web site