The London - Surrey border - Rushett Common
TQ 16 61
The London/Surrey/Kingston boundary curves up from the Leatherhead Road and comes to the edge of D’Abernon Chase and then follows the line of Prince’s Coverts northwards.
Post to the north Rushett Common
Post to the east Rushett Common
Post to the south Malden Rushett
Sites on the London, Kingston side of the boundary
Rushett Common – the common and its waste are now reduced to linear belts of woodland alongside the main road This woodland consists of oak with ground flora. West of the road, are scrub and gorse.
Telegraph Hill. Original name was Cabbage Hill the land on either side belongs to Merton College, 'Oxford, as it has since the Middle Ages Telegraph Hill. The Admiralty telegraph used the shutter system between London and Portsmouth from 1796 until 1816. designed by Rev Lord George Murray. closed down in 1816. The buildings, which were never intended to be permanent, were small wooden two-roomed shacks with the frame containing the six wooden
Coal Post. In order to help cover the costs of rebuilding after the Great Fire of 1666 the Corporation of London was allowed to levy a charge on all coal entering London. Subsequently there were a number of acts defining the boundaries of the area for which duty was charged until finally in 1861 the London Coal and Wine Duties Continuance Act redefined the London District as the Metropolitan Police District, Posts were set up to mark the boundary in accordance with this Act of Parliament of the 24th and 25th years of Queen Victoria's reign, chapter 42 of the Statute Book. The cast-iron posts bear the Corporation of London crest and the inscription 24 25 VIC CAP 42 and were originally placed wherever a road or track crossed the boundary. Different types of marker posts were often employed beside railways, canals and rivers. The iron posts were cast by Henry Gnssell at the Regents Canal Ironworks, Eagle Wharf, Hoxton; they are 6ft high of which 3-4ft is above ground. The duties continued to raise money for engineering projects in London until the formation of the London County Council and the passing of the London Coal Duties Abolition Act in 1889.
Sites on the Surrey, Elmbridge side of the boundary
Waste disposal site