Monday, 30 January 2017
M25 Oxted Chalkpit Wood
Post to the north Chalkpit Lane
Post to the east Oxted
Post to the west Oxted Downs
Mixed ancient woodland with oak, ash and hazel understorey
Oxted Therapies Unit. This is part of the replacement for the closed Oxted Hospital
Barrow Green Road
Ridgeway Manor. This is now a residential care home. This was built as Blunt House around 1886 by J.M. Oldrid Scott for himself in red brick. Inside were features brought from Blunt House in Croydon which had been built around 1760 by Abraham Swan and Richard Peers. This original house was the model for Scott’s design here.
Railway Bridge. Built in 1883 for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway/South Eastern Railway
Railway Bridge – this bridge must date from the 1880s when the line was built. It is a ‘dogleg’ tunnel with a mound on the west adjacent to it. Not clear why and what this is. The site of the limeworks siding was to the west of this.
Stafford Scout Hut. This is for the 1st Oxted Scouts.
Oxted and Limpsfield War Memorial Hospital, this oipened in 1923 in Gresham Road to the south. It was founded for "the Men and Women of Oxted and Limpsfield who in the Great War 1914 to 1918 gave faithful service to God, their King and their Country". Over the succeeding years it was enlarged. In the 1930s it was decided to rebuild on a different site and moved to Eastlands Way in 1939. In the Second World War it joined the Emergency Medical Service. It joined the NHS in 1948 and by 1983 was a G.P. hospital with 40 beds. It was considered for closure in 1993 because of the poor state of repair but because of public concern remained open. The buildings got worse and worse and began to subside. It closed very suddenly in 2001. The site is now private housing.
Five Acre Wood.
Hazel woodland with some hardwood, oak and ash.
Site of the Oxted and Limpsfield Hospital
The private Tandridge Heights Memorial Care Home was built nearby so the word 'Memorial' originally used for the now closed hospital survives.
Oxted Limeworks Siding. The siding to the quarry was opened in 1886 with an exchange siding beside the main line and two wagon roads. A cutting curved round the western edges of Hamfield Shaw and Armitage Wood. It then ran up to the works where there were sidings served by the two-foot gauge railway which went into the pit. The branch closed about 1939 and the rails were lifted in 1969.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Godstone Area Industrial Archaeology.
Lost Hospoitals of London. Web site
Tandridge District Council. Web site
Woodland Trust. Web site
Posted by M at 04:05