Yeading Brook flows southwest and south.
The River Pinn flows south and west
Post to the east North Harrow
Post to the south Rayners Lane
Post to the north Pinner
Post to the west Eastcote
An nameless old lane which ran through into
fields and woods
Downs Farm. Established as the result of
enclosure in the early 19th. Methodist church built from 1956 on the site.
Farmhouse finally demolished 1972
River Pinn Bridge. A tablet assigns this
bridge to 1728 and being built by landowner Lady Hunsdon. The bridge has since
been rebuilt but the tablet remains on the parapet
Pinner Gas Works. south of Meadow Road, west side of the road. Opened 1868-1931 by C.
C. & W. T. Walker as Pinner Gas Co. Ltd. It became statutory in
1881 and takem over by the The Gas Light and Coke Co in. 1930. The manufacturing plant here was
horizontal retorts, and C.W.G dating from 1918. The first date is not known but in 1872 the management
of both works and district was done entirely by a Mr. Bell, aged 19, and his
bride of 17.
Along with Pinner Grove these estate roads
cover some of the grounds of The Grove, or Pinner Grove, which stood slightly
to the north in the square above. This
area of housing was built by Harrow Council in 1949 building flats in order to
preserve the trees.
Harrow Garden Village
This was the first development in Rayners
Lane undertaken for E.S.Reid for Metropolitan Railway Country Estates Co Ltd. in
the early 1930s.The name was a marketing device and the area did not have the
idealism of other garden villages. There were nine sorts of house, most semidetached
with four bedrooms and garage space and many ‘half timbered’.
35 Barn of Cannons Farm. 17th in
timber with a weather boarded tile roof
Yeading Walk. This is a linear open space alongside the
Yeading Brook. The Entrance in Lincoln Road crosses midway along the length of
Pinner Village Garden Recreation Ground,
This park was laid out in the 1920s with Harrow Garden Suburb. It has oak trees
from the earlier grounds of The Grove and also has specimen trees as well as
raised beds of flowers and a rose garden. There is a 1930s drinking fountain
and a pond with walls with a fountain. There is a lodge and an entrance with
iron gates. There are earthworks at the southern end which archaeologists think
are like features left by long term ploughing on poor soil. This has led them
to think that this area is part of the open field system used by Pinner as a mediaeval
village. It is thought to be the nearest
ridge and furrow to central London.
This is an old route but a nameless pathway through fields. It is
named after a family of farm workers who lived locally
rest of the area "Superior well-built Semi- Detached Villas …..5 minutes
Rayners Lane station, Metropolitan and District Railway … From £850...No road
charges, law costs or stamp duties. Houses may be built to purchasers' own
designs on selected sites."
The Pinner Arms, previously called The Whittington.
On the site of Cannon Farm.
Clarke. History of Pinner
Field, London place names,
London Gardens Online
Middlesex. History of Middle,
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Stewart. Gas Works of the North Thames Area