Thursday, 18 November 2010

Thames Tributary – River Wandle - Haydons Road

Thames Tributary – River Wandle
The Wandle continues to flow north to the Thames


Post to the north Earlsfield
Post to the east Haydon's Road

Alexandra Road
B&Q and car parking alongside the District Line.

Ashcombe Road
Railway bridge over Southern Railway line from Haydon’s Road station

Brickfield Road
2 London Regional Office, Gypsy Council
Dora Road
Building started on the road after the arrival of the railway

Durnsford Road
Cecil’s 16th deer park extended to here from Wimbledon Common
New housing on the site of the Wimbledon power station and works.
Wimbledon Electricity works - Wimbledon Municipal Borough Council's Electricity Undertaking was authorised by an Electric Lighting Order in July 1897. Supply started from Durnsford Road Generating Station in 1899. In 1903 this extended to Merton, and in 1911 to Malden and Coombe. In 1923 a Hiring Department supplied domestic installations However in 1933 generating stations were moved to the Central Electricity Board. Some buildings still remain.
Durnsford Lodge. Big house later used as a hospital
Durnsford cottages

Haydons Road.
Apostolic Church of Christ / the United Church of Jesus Christ. Pentecostal apostolic church formally an Anglican building St.Peter built 1911-12 by Greenaway & Newberry in a Tall Early English style.
Church hall built in 1901

Home Park Road
Developed by Beaumont in 1847

Gap Road
Was previously called Hayden Park
Wimbledon Cemetery. Also known as Gap Road cemetery. It has two gothic chapels built in 1896 and a mortuary. Includes a Cooke Mausoleum, a Memorial to Belgian refugees and an Irish corner.
Poplar Court on the site of Wimbledon Isolation Hospital. 1906 – 1950, built by the Borough Council. By November 1949 it was virtually empty and was closed for further admissions in 1950
Gate posts and other structures may be from the isolation hospital.

Kenilworth Road
Building started on the road after the arrival of the railway

Leopold Road
Developed by Beaumont in 1847
Woodside Parade 1892
Wimbledon Park Parade 1899
Hicks Gallery - art gallery in domed shop at the end of a parade

Plough Lane
Reynolds housing estate is the site of the stadium used by Wimbledon Football Club which opened here before the First World War in an old dump. Left to go to Crystal Palace in 1991 and then off to Milton Keynes. In 1991, the club moved to Selhurst Park. But the site was used by the team until 1998. It was demolished in 2002, for housing

Queens Road
The Priory Church of England School. Large school building

Railway Line
Sidings west of Haydon’s Road Station to 1897 depot for Wimbledon Council.

Riverside Road
Area of trading estate and industries – bakery, joiners, etc.
10 Riverside Yard. Wimbledon Art Studios. Artists sky boat. Whicheloe Architects 2007
Wimbledon Generating Station and refuse destructor site

Streathearn Road
Building with 1909 date or the fascia
Vineyard Hill Road
Going up to Vineyard Hill where the Spencer house was
Weir Road
Trading estate and light industry
Woodside
113 site of Gap Lodge

No comments: