The north west corner is Borough
The north east corner is The north east corner is Borough Bermondsey borders
The south west corner is Borough Newington
Post to the north Bankside
Post to the west St,George and Waterloo
Post to the south Walworth
Post to the east Bermondsey
The road is named for St. Bartholomew’s Hospital which owned the land on which it stands. They had acquired this in connection with their management of the Lock Hospital. They laid the road out and had houses built, none of which remain in this street..
The south side of the road is entirely taken up with St.Saviour and St.Olave School. (See square to the south)
21 Spit and Sawdust. This pub was previously called The Beehive. It was bombed twice in the Second World War and eight people killed. It dates from 1856
This was once part of Burge Street and both were once Great Bland Street and lined with houses
This street, which is now all social housing, had an Engineering works and Print works as late as the 1970s
Cardinal Bourne Street
This was once called Lower Bland Street. It is now entirely made up of social housing.
The Roundhouse. Lawson Tenants and Residents Association hall.
21 Aldous and Campbell. Lift manufacturers. Extant in the 1950s, when their factory was rebuilt but had undertaken work as general engineers since the 1900s but were also then described as ‘motor lift specialists’. In 1961 they merged with General Hydraulic Power Co.
This street is now entirely made up of social housing.
Brush Factory. This was present in the 1950s
London Sawing and Planing Mills. J. & B Groves in the 19th saw mill was owned by Groves but it was still extant in the 1950s.
Methodist Chapel opened in 1837 –this was large with a burial ground and broke with the Wesleyans in 1864 when it appears to have become a congregational chapel. This included a Sunday School which moved elsewhere in 1874. By 1911 it was in the hands of the Salvation Army,
New Bunhill Fields. This was a private burial ground built to supplement the overcrowded nonconformist ground at Bunhill Fields in the City. It was managed by Hoole and Martin. Between 1830-1828 there were 10,000 private burials here and the result was noxious and led to several enquiries. The ground closed in 1853 and became a timber yard.
Burial ground wall. The site of the burial ground is now tennis courts under the asphalt. The wall tapers to the tip and is built of recycled brickwork and masonry.
Langdon Davis Electric Motor Co. 1905 taken over 1912 by Sturtevant Engineering.
Clarkson and Capel Syndicate. Steam lorries 1890s. Moved away 1902.
Bilbe Hobson and Hall engineers
T.Clarkson. steam generators
67 Duchess of Kent pub. Demolished and replaced with flats.
2 once part of the Surrey Dispensary
Waygood Lifts. This was on the site of blocks of housing, including Bentham House. Waygood was founded by Richard Waygood in 1833 in Dorset and in 1840s moved to London. They made hand operated and later electric belt-driven and hydraulic lifts from the 1860s. They were the first lift manufacturer in England to produce electric elevators. In 1914 they purchased the British business of the US lift manufacturer, and became Waygood-Otis and their Falmouth Road factory became Otis Lifts United Kingdom head office. By 1952 they were controlled by Otis and manufacture took place in Coventry. Otis is now a major US based lift manufacturer with some UK offices. The Waygood company was dissolved only in 2013.
Great Dover Street
This was built as a bypass to the Old Kent Road. It was a turnpike road in 1750 for traffic.
Great Dover Street Apartments. Halls of Residence for King's College London, mainly used for Guy's Hospital teaching hospital
'Sidney Webb House' . London School of Economics Halls of Residence.
Roebuck. Mid-19th pub on a flat iron plan. The oldest pub in the street.
156 Brunswick Chapel. New Connection. This was a Methodist chapel on the east side of the road in the 19th and still extant in the 1920s.
165 red-brick and terracotta building of 1897 with massive ornate doorway. Where brick cherubs handle pots of hot metal. This is now Halls of Residence for Kings College. It was built for engineers John Dewrance and later taken over by Babcock Power and their Nuclear Energy division.
Dewrance and Co . This business was founded in London by in the 1839s by Joseph Woods and John Dewrance, becoming Dewrance & Co., in 1842, manufacturing engine and boiler accessories. The building was extended greatly in 1950
61 Pilgrim Fathers' Memorial Church. This is said to have had its origins in a congregation of Protestant Separatists of 1592. It is also claimed that it began in 1616, and some of the Pilgrim Fathers came from there. They moved to a chapel in the New Kent Road in 1863 - 1864, which was destroyed in Second World War bombing. This was then replaced by a new multi purpose building on Great Dover Street called the Pilgrim Church House. This building now appears to be in commercial use and the cross which was once fixed to the gable has been removed. It is said that there was also a mural of the "Mayflower", on the wall but this is not now apparent nor is a public garden with a memorial.
161 The Black Horse, Pub which also seems to have an address in Tabard Street and which is also a back packers hostel. It has a sign with a Courage gold cockerel mounted on top. . On the front of the building is a square red projecting sign - still Illuminated at night - with a gold cockerel. The building is post-~Second World War.
Used to be Horsemonger Lane
ARK Globe Academy. This is an ‘academy’ school which caters for pupils of all ages up to the sixth form. It appears to have achieved this by takin g over two previous adjacent schools, both with predecessor schools.. in 2007 ARK Schools won their plan to build new teaching blocks and to bring in the two schools together as one. by 2008, the Geoffrey Chaucer Technology College and Lancaster Primary School opened as the Ark Globe Academy
Trinity House School. This 19th school was on site until rebuilt in the late 1950s It is not clear if this school was damaged in the V1 rocket attack in the Second World War. . It was also called ‘Two Saints’.Trinity School for Girls built in 1958. The.Trinity School for Girls was opened in 1962 by Monsieur Rene Maheu, the Sixth Director-General of UNESCO. In 1976 the school was joined by Paragon School which the stood on the opposite side of Old Kent Road. It was then renamed “Geoffrey Chaucer School”.
Wall. The Harper Road perimeter of the schools is said to have been built with bomb rubble and brick scraps although elsewhere it is said that this is the wall of the burial ground to the New Bunhill Chape in Deverell Street.
Geoffrey Chaucer School , formerly Trinity House School, This was built nb 1958 by Chamberlin, Powell & Bon and has been seen as one of the most important comprehensive schools of its era. It was one of the first to break up large comprehensives into smaller, more friendly units. The star-turn was the Pentagon building as an impressive example of post-war educational architecture with a hyperbolic paraboloid concrete shell roof, the first built in Britain and it one of the few built examples of the type and still the perfect setting for assemblies, concerts and meetings., It has all been demolished except for the Pentagon and a new school built which was designed by Future Systems
Harper Street (or Road) School. This opened in 1874 by the London School Board designed by Col.R.W. Edis assisted by T.J.Bailey later became Joseph Lancaster Primary school. It is seen as an outstanding early private-architect-designed board school in advanced Gothic taste. It became the Joseph Lancaster Primary School which commemorated the Southwark born and based 18th educationist. This building still remains and has been incorporated into the ‘academy’
This was once part of Weston Street
37 Golden Fleece/ This now Law Street Nursery
This road has now gone and is under 1960s developments
8 Dover Castle. This pub has now been demolished
8 -10 Concrete Works. This site was originally the concrete works of J. Tall who had developed a revolutionary system of concrete building construction developed by Coignet and using a shuttering method. He built here a large 40 ft high office block with an internal circular staircase in this concrete. This faced the road and was designed along with a number of adjacent houses.
12 London Tramways Depot. This was opened on the site of Tall’s concrete works. It was sold to Southwark Council in 1899 when the tram system was taken over by the London County Council. It was let for industrial use.
12 Star Works Waste Paper, This was extant here in the 1950s
Manciple Street is the result of a regeneration scheme from the early 1920s undertaken by the London County Council
Pinks Jam Factory – this fronted onto Staple Street (below and in the square to the south) but covered most of the area now the north side of Manciple Street.
Laid out like Trinity Square from 1853 by the Trinity Brethren. It is named after Christopher Merrick who in 1661 left land to Trinity House. The houses surround a private garden behind original 19th cast-iron railings
Built as part of the 1930s LCC redevelopment scheme, largely on the site of Pinks’ jam factory.
Tabard Street Centre, This was originally a school, Tabard Street School which was built by the London School Board in 1873 to the designs of Frederick W Roper. It was originally called Great Hunter Street school. It is now housing called the Tabard Centre. It has three storeys with four-stage bell tower. There is an entrance marked "Infants" and initials "SBL" and the date "1873". Another entrance is marked "Girls" . It is also shown on maps of the 1960s as ‘Chaucer Institute’ or ‘Walworth Institute’.
This was originally Upper Bland Street, and later renamed for the preacher.
Staple Street itself is in the square to the north. Pink’s factory, below, had its frontage here but the main factory was in this square. The site was later called ‘The Minto Street site’ as a development area of the 1930s.
Pinks Jam Factory. at the end of the 19th century E & T Pink were said to be the largest producers of jam in the world. It as founded by Edward Pink in 1860 and in 1879 made jams, pickles and sauces here with the trademark of a tortoise. Working conditions at the factory were exposed at a coroner’s inquest in 1893 which followed a strike and later fatal accidents. A later strike involved 22 other factories. Pink peppermills ground one eighth of the English pepper trade and handled one twelfth of the English tapioca business. the company employed 1800 workers during the busy season. After the Great War the company was acquired by Dutch margarine manufacturer Van den Bergh who merged it with their subsidiary Plaistowe. The factory was demolished in 1935 to make way for the LCC housing estate.
This was once Kent Street, the old road to Greenwich, Canterbury and Dover and on the alignment of a Roman road. From 1565 it was paved as far as the Lock Hospital, The road was re-named Tabard Street in 1877 and traffic directed down Great Dover Street..
Tabard Gardens. Opened in 1929 as open space and recreation area by the London County Council as the surrounding area was developed with housing. The park includes large grassed areas, a wildlife area, a children's play area, an outdoor gym, table tennis tables, artificial grass pitches and multi use sports pitches
Chaucer School. was Westcott Street School. Westcott Street ran parallel and south of Pardoner Street and the school lay between the two. This was a London School Board School said to serve one of the most poverty stricken areas of the metropolis. The site had previously been a rope walk
Lock Hospital, Leper Hospital which stood at what is now the junction of Tabard Street and Great Dover Street. It ws on the site of the first mile stone from London Bridge and on the Lock Stream.. It was founded in the 12th in order to keep lepers out of the City and were supported bv the City as well as by charity. . From 1549, St. Bartholomew's Hospital was appointed to be responsible for them, Later In the 18th it became a refuge for patients suffering from venereal disease. Ut was closed in 1760. The site is the southern part of land between Tabard Street and Great Dover Street.
Lock stream. This went past the hospital and was a branch of the Neckinger. Remains of an ancient bridge- Lock Bridge – remained here connected to the sewer system.
18 Lazenby Pickle factory. E Lazenby & Sons dated from the end of the 18th when a sauce recipe was given to Elizabeth Lazenby. This was sold as Harvey’s Sauce and was very successful. Other products followed and by 1861 the factory in Trinity Street was in production. In the 20th the sauce was rebranded as Lazenby’s sauce and it was still then a family firn, Later they amalgamated into Crosse and Blackwell. The Trinity Street factory was closed and another site in Bermondsey owned by Lazenbys expanded.. The Trinity Street factory was also badly damaged in the Second World War and in 1955 only the ground floor front wall with its windows remained. Bedford Row was built on the site in 2009.
Trinity Street Primitive Methodist church. This dated 1876-1900.
This was previously Baalzephon street,
132 Lord Wellington, This pub dates from the 1830s but is now flats and a curry house.
Aldous. Village London
Bermondsey Churches. Web site
Biblical Studies. Wesley Historical Society. Web site
Brewery History Society. Web site
British History On line. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Exploring Southwark. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Greater London Council. Home Sweet Home
Ideal Homes. Web site
London Borough of Southwark. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Metropolitan Archive. Web site
MOLA. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pub History. Web site
SE1. Web site
Southwark Burial Grounds. Web site
Thorne. Old and New London
Wikipedia. As appropriate